Batman: The Brave and the Bold

Missy

That's a good website to get information about DC shows from. Just don't read their reviews.

Agreed. They praise a lot of irredeemable episodes like "Mean Seasons" and "Unity", though I think their review of the last episode of The Batman is spot-on.

Don't forget Prototype. They liked that one too. But they give good coverage of DC show, and even have a sister site for the Marvel animated shows.

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did. I didn't have the same problems with it that other people did. I'm still slightly puzzled as to why it's listed as one of the worst STAS episodes.

Well, at the top of my head, here are some problems WFP and people in general have with it:

1) The animation sucks, with plenty of errors such as the scene with the shark tank breaking open.

2) Sergeant Mills' voice actor is abyssmal: His delivery is awkward and his pitch is all over the place (whenever he should be yelling at the top of his lungs, his voice just bottoms out).

3) The suite turns Sergeant Mills into a villain way too quickly.

4) Luthor--one of the most intelligent characters in the DCAU--stupidly shrugs off any warnings from John Henry Irons about possible bugs in the suit.

The actual concept of the episode is a good one but the execution is horrible. If none of those things bother you though, then more power to you.

Anyways, we're getting :ot:

Maybe this should go in the Beware the Batman thread, but I'm kinda tired of all the "twists" on traditional Batman, as entertaining as they've been. It's been almost 20 years since BTAS premiered; I'd like to see another straight-up Batman series that didn't need to put deliberate twists on it.

At least we're getting the comic adaptation animated movies, though. That's nice.

I thought The Batman was a pretty straight take on the premise, it just suffered from not having the peaks of greatness that BTAS had.

I actually disagree I think The Batman is very underrated, many episodes of season 4 (Riddler's Revenge, Strange New World) at least equaled the brilliance of some of the best BTAS had to offer. But The Batman definitely lacked the publicity BTAS had

I thought The Batman was a pretty straight take on the premise, it just suffered from not having the peaks of greatness that BTAS had.

It was decently close, but it deliberately made "tweaks" to the usual formula. Bruce being far younger, a lot of the villains being stylized differently (martial arts Penguin, mutant dreadlock Joker, etc), and a general emphasis on action and style over drama and story. I remember the show's creators talking about it as being a cross between the 60s Batman and Batman Beyond. I suppose, though, being the first Batman series after BTAS, it really did need to do something different anyway.

I do think that The Batman turned out to be a great show, especially in Season 4. I guess I just wish we had a weekly animated somewhat-dramatic series again.

• 1 month later...

Batman: The Brave and The Bold has come to an end, with a final episode that acknowledged it and celebrated what the show had been for three seasons. Like a lot of people, I was skeptical of it after the DCAU representing DC Comics in animation for so long. I was lukewarm on the first couple episodes, but with the third episode (the first Aquaman episode) I was hooked. By the end of the first season, it was my all-time favorite superhero cartoon. There are so many reasons why it's my favorite: the callbacks to and general feel of the Silver Age (my favorite era of comics), the use of characters you would never expect to see animated, the willingness to do episodes outside of the box (like the musical), Bat-Mite...I could go on and on. Above all, what I loved most was that it was FUN. I loved the serious approach to stories and characterization in the DCAU as much as the next guy, but it was so great to have a superhero cartoon spanning the entire DC Universe that put the emphasis on all out fun and doing anything the crew's imaginations could come up with. I look forward to what new approaches will be taken with DC Comics in animation, but this series will always have a special place for me. Outrageous!

Well said. For me, the series was a very pleasant surprise and even though I'm not as big a fan of the Silver Age as others, I am gonna miss it.

I gonna piggy-back off of something you did in the Smallville thread and suggest posting our favorite things about the show. Here are mine:

Favorite Characters

5. Bat-Mite

4. The Spectre

3. Superdick (i.e. Superman under the influence of red kryptonite)

2. Batman

1. Aquaman

Favorite Episodes

5. "The Malicious Mr. Mind"

4. "Mitefall"

3. "Siege of Starro"

2. "Battle of the Superheroes"

1. "Chill of the Night"

For now, I'm abstaining from a "Favorite Moments" list, as there are too many to name.

Favorite Characters

5. Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes)

4. Green Arrow

3. The Joker

2. Bat-Mite

1. Batman and Aquaman

Favorite Episodes

5. "Sidekicks Assemble!"

4. "Battle of the Superheroes!"

3. "The Super-Batman of Planet X!"

2. "Evil Under the Sea!"

1. "Legends of the Dark Mite!"

"Chill of the Night!" and "Mitefall!" would go on my 'Best of' list (because I have so many favorite episodes I need two lists).

Favorite Moments

2. The Comic-Con Scene

That was awesome and sad, and a great way to end the series.

Me, I would have added one tiny touch to the ending. In the closing scene, I would have had the various Batmans (Batmen?) from all of the other cartoons in the background: Super Friends, BTAS, Batman Beyond, The Batman, and the recent animated movies. Maybe they couldn't do that or maybe they didn't want to overshadow the finale by having fans geek out over seeing BTAS Batman again, but it would have drive home the point of the episode. That said, that's my fanboy longing, and is nothing I hold against the episode.

That was awesome and sad, and a great way to end the series.

Me, I would have added one tiny touch to the ending. In the closing scene, I would have had the various Batmans (Batmen?) from all of the other cartoons in the background: Super Friends, BTAS, Batman Beyond, The Batman, and the recent animated movies. Maybe they couldn't do that or maybe they didn't want to overshadow the finale by having fans geek out over seeing BTAS Batman again, but it would have drive home the point of the episode. That said, that's my fanboy longing, and is nothing I hold against the episode.

They did something similar a while ago. So, although some people would have enjoyed it. Others would claim they were just rehashing old ideas.