Superman is 70... today?

Missy

Today is supposedly the 70th anniversary of Action Comics #1. Though DC's lack of an announcement makes me think otherwise. Regardless, this is the year Superman celebrates his 70th, so use this thread to share your fondest Superman memories. Comics, cartoons, movies, television shows, action figures, playing as kids (or adults ;)), it's all game.

I love Superman Returns.

On the basis that it won me an Earth-2.net award - the movie is fucking horrible. Cool character though, and even if there's a stupid amount of characters that have LL as their initials, I like the gist of his universe. Prefer Batman, but Supes isn't bad at all - WFP is certainly enhancing his reputation. :smile:

I think of Superman as the Beatles of superheroes.

Yeah, I can totally appreciate the fact that the Beatles influenced a shitload of other bands, but I don't really ever want to listen to their music.

Yeah, I can totally appreciate the fact that the Beatles influenced a shitload of other bands, but I don't really ever want to listen to their music.

Go sit in the corner. Sit there and think about what you've done.

... doesn't want to listen to the Beatles...

Anyway, Chrsitopher Reeve was the be all, and all for me. I was four when the first movie come out, and after that there was no hope for me. Superman was the first comic I ever subscribed to, back when Clark was a TV anchorman (with Steve Lombard on sports!) and the book was bloated with Vartox. This is possibly the nadir of the whole Superman mythos, but these are some of my fondest memories.

I've thought about it.

Yeah, still bore the crap out of me.

I've thought about it.

Yeah, still bore the crap out of me.

All right, that's it. Step outside.

Today is supposedly the 70th anniversary of Action Comics #1. Though DC's lack of an announcement makes me think otherwise. Regardless, this is the year Superman celebrates his 70th, so use this thread to share your fondest Superman memories. Comics, cartoons, movies, television shows, action figures, playing as kids (or adults ;)), it's all game.

Its might actually be the correct date but theres a great deal of legal hubbub around who actually owns that issue, so DC might be keeping it on the DL and figuring they could do a big celebration at 75 to make up for it. After all, why highlight the central subject of a huge legal battle? Its not going to make them look good if people realise the they could lose thier Icon.

In honor of Superman's 70th, I figure I'd chronicle Superman's life in TV, Radio and Film.

Okay, we all know that the #1 favorite Clark Kent/Superman is Christopher Reeve, but why. I wanna know your top 5 actors to put of the glasses and cape. I will give you info on each of the men who were lucky enough to put that on, than give you my top 5 and why:

Roy Middleton; only put on the cape it was for the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade of 1940. Obviously he hasn't had an influence, but being that he was the first man to ever wear the outfit, I figured he deserves recognition.

Bud Collyer; is noted for portraying the Man of Steel the most out of any other voice actor. The first being on the Radio show in 1940, alongside Joan Alexander as Lois Lane. Alexander would also join Bud Collyer in the Max Fleisher Cartoons produced by Paramount in the 1940's. His incredible voice acting and ability to change up his voice when portraying Clark Kent and than Superman is what would be the inspiration for the Kevin Conroy performance of Batman/Bruce Wayne in the Bruce Timm DCAU of the 90's and early Millenium. This incredible voice acting would serve him well when asked later to portray the voice again in 1966-1969 through various incarnations of the Filmation produced Superman cartoons.

Kirk Alyn is noted for being the first EVER Live Action Actor to portray Superman on the big screen. While technology was still a baby in 1948, Alyn did manage to portray a future modeled Superhero in the present. Although, his flying was done by Animation it was still a breakthrough during the time. Kirk Alyn would make make another appearance as The Man of Steel in 1950 in the sequel to "Superman" in the film "Atom Man Vs Superman" this would also mark the first live action Luthor played by Lyle Talbot(at this time Luthor was his only name, not Lex Luthor). Kirk Alyn would appear later as Lois Lane's father Sam Lane in Superman: The Movie, alongside Noel Neil as Lois Lane's mother, who is the first live action Lois Lane.

George Reeves is probably the best known pre-Christopher Reeve Superman's. He portrayed the Man of Steel in the 1951 Live Action pilot movie alongside Phyliss Coates as Lois Lane. George Reeves would go on to portray the character in the 1950's series "The Adventures of Superman" with Noel Neil as Lois Lane. George Reeves would continue this role in a cameo in an episode of "I Love Lucy" which funny enough we got the first ever Supergirl of sorts since Lucielle Ball is wearing a Superman outfit. He portrayed the character until his death in 1958, this would include Stamp Day and several cereal commercials. In 1958 Billy Curtis would portray Superpup, a dog version of the Man of Steel. Only a pilot was made...

Johnny Rockwell will be the first ever to portray the boy version of Superman, Superboy in a unaired pilot in 1961. The pilot was never picked up, but has been found on VHS tapes, bootlegs and on the internet. Decent episode, but the series was meant to be a prequel to the George Reeves series, therefore his portrayel is that of a younger Clark Kent/Superman.

In 1966 while, Bud Collyer was giving us another great animated version of The Man of Steel, Bob Holiday was taking over as the voice of Radio Superman. In the meantime Bob Hastings, who would go on to play the voice of Commisioner Gordan in the DCAU portrayed the voice of Superboy, alongside Bud Collyer's Superman.

A musical entitled "It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman" was created and featured music by Lee Adams and Charlie Strouse, with Bob Holiday and Jack Cassidy in the roles.

In 1969/1971 two animated shorts were created by Sesame Street featuring Lennie Weinrib.

Between 1973-1985, Danny Dark would portray the voice of Superman in 6 Hanna Barbarra related cartoons.

In 1975 David Wilson would portray the Man of Steel in the Televised Musical version of "It's a Bird...It's a Plane...It's Superman"

1978, would mark the year that we get this generations and possibly the best ever Clark Kent/Superman. Christopher Reeve would go on to portray The Man of Steel in 1980/1983 and 1987 and would guest star in 2 Smallville episodes. Margot Kidder portrayed Lois Lane in these films. Jeff East would be seen portraying Young Clark Kent in the Smallville part of the first film. Christopher Reeve's picture is seen in the Helen Slater film Supergirl, he was meant to appear in the film, but fell out at the last minute.

In 1988 Beau Weaver would go on to portray Superman in the animated series, while John Haymes Newton portrayed Superboy in the first season of the live action series. Gerard Christopher would than pick up the reigns in the 2nd Season of Superboy until the cancellation in 1992.

In 1992, Warner Brothers Television cancelled Superboy, because they wanted to create a new series. Dean Cain would be the first to portray a live action TV Version of the Man of Steel since 1958, in The New Adventures of Superman. With Teri Hatcher as Lois Lane from 1993-1997. Dean Cain would also be another of the Superman related actors to guest star on Smallville, but as a villain.

From 1996-2000 Bruce Timm gave us Superman: The Animated Series, featuring Tim Daly as the voice of Superman/Clark Kent, with Dana Delany as the voice of Lois Lane and James Marsden as Young Clark Kent. He also plays the voice of Superman in the Superman: Brainiac Attacks DVD movie. Christopher McDonald who portrays Jor-El in the DCAU, would portray the voice of Older Superman in the Batman Beyond episode "The Call"

In 2000, when Superman: The Animated Series ended and Bruce Timm wanted to bring us Justice League, due to scheduling coflicts with Tim Daly, George Newbern would pick up the reigns as the voice of Superman/Clark Kent, he would continue into Justice League: Unlimited and The Batman in 2006

In 2001, Tom Welling started portraying Young Clark Kent in Smallville, due to rights issues, he is never called Superboy and never seen wearing the famous cape and glasses. At this time, he is still portraying this role as it is close to its 8th Season and is now the longest running Superman related TV Show. During the shows 1st Season, a character named Eric Summers(played by X-Men's Shawn Ashmore, brother of Smallville's Jimmy Olsen Aaron Ashmore) acquired Clark's abilities and was dubbed "Superboy" by Chloe.

In 2004, Patrick Warburton played in several American Express commericial alongside Jerry Seinfeld. These commercials featured an appearance by Noel Neil.

In 2005 Michael Daingerfield played the voice of Superman in Krypto: The Superdog in a few episodes.

In 2006 Brandon Routh, would be the first to portray The Man of Steel in a live action movie since Superman IV: The Quest For Peace in Bryan Singer's Superman Returns.

Yuri Lowenthal would portray the voice of Young Clark Kent/Superman/Kal-El/Superman X in Legion of Super-Heroes.

In 2007, Bruce Timm decided to continue his role in DC Animation, but take them out of continuity with his famous DCAU world. In his first attempt he casted Adam Baldwin as the voice of Superman in Superman: Doomsday.

In 2008, we will get another Bruce Timm project called Justice League: The New Frontier, featuring Kyle MacLachlan as the voice of The Man of Steel.

So now that you know the contestants, here are my top 5. Christopher Reeve is undoubtably the best, so this list will consist of the top 5 after best, behind him.

MY PICK:

5.Gerard Christopher

4. Dean Cain

3. Tim Daly(voice)

2. George Reeves

1. Tom Welling

THE BEST. Bud Collyer(voice)