DJ's got some money..

Fat DJ

I've got about $20-$50 to buy some comics tommorow (and probably next thursday, too). Anyway, I like comics that are all in one book-you know, like when they release six (or however many) issues into one magazine, so I can read the whole story.

So I haven't read a lot of comics for a while, but I'm getting back into them in a hurry. I want to stick with DC and Marvel comics for now. I like most of the JLA characters (together and seperate), X Men (I want to pick up the alternate reality story arc eventually. where professor X is killed, and also the arc that involves Onslaught. Can someone name those?) , and Spiderman. (Especially stories about the symbiotes.)

As far as stories go, so far Kevin Smith has proven to be one of my favorite writers. (Chasing Amy still sucks, though). Artists are really a non-issue, as I have no real preferences. If you guys could suggest some more modern stories, that someone who isn't really familiar with all of the obscure comic history could read and enjoy, I'd be very appreciative. (I know a fair bit about the famous characters, but not tons.)

I want to pick up the alternate reality story arc eventually. where professor X is killed

That would be Age of Apocalypse, and here are links to all of the collected editions (however, most are out of print):

Dawn of the Age of Apocalypse

Legionquest

Tales of the Age of Apocalypse

Tales of the Age of Apocalypse: Sinister Bloodlines

Amazing X-Men

Astonishing X-Men

Factor-X

Gambit and the X-Ternals

Weapon X

X-Calibre

X-Man

Twilight of the Age of Apocalypse

and also the arc that involves Onslaught.

Onslaught: The Awakening, Vol. 1

Onslaught: To the Victor..., Vol. 2

[Can't find the 3rd Vol.]

Onslaught: Eye of the Storm, Vol. 4

Onslaught: The Front Line, Vol. 5

Onslaught: Pyarmic Victory, Vol. 6

If you guys could suggest some more modern stories, that someone who isn't really familiar with all of the obscure comic history could read and enjoy, I'd be very appreciative. (I know a fair bit about the famous characters, but not tons.)

First off, I'd grab any (and all) of the Ultimate Spider-Man collections, Daredevil: The Man Without Fear (Frank Miller, John Romita, Jr.), all of the Brian Michael Bendis Daredevil TPBs, and Powers. For non-superhero titles, get all nine of the Preacher books, all of the Transmetropolitan trades, and Sin City: A Dame to Kill For and Sin City: The Big Fat Kill.

Daredevil: The Man Without Fear (Frank Miller, John Romita, Jr.), all of the Brian Michael Bendis Daredevil TPBs, and Powers.

Ok, there's Daredevil and Legends of Daredevil, both are supposedly 5-star books. Would one be better than the other to get into the swing of things as far as Daredevil goes? (Price is no issue, one's $14 and one's $17.)

They didn't have the Daredevil book you said, and I didn't want to risk getting into any of the other Daredevil books, as I know there's a lot of love storylines and stuff that would be hard to understand. The guy at my comics shop is a dick, so I didn't want to bug him.

I picked up Tower of Babel and Origins for Wolverine, though. I'll probably order the Daredevil books off of Amazon next week. Or go get Hush and another Batman book I saw, I forget the name, but Batman, Green Arrow and Lantern are figuring prominently in it, so it could only be good.

I'm trying to read Origin right now, and, frankly, it isn't doing anything for me.

As for your comment about Daredevil, you really do have to start at the beginning of Bendis's run to understand just what the crap is going on. But it's well worth it.

Have you read Hush? It looks good, but I don't know if it's a year-one comic. I guess I'm looking for year-one comics of Batman. Are there some good titles out there?

Hush is not a Year One-type comic. It's set in current continuity. (Or did you mean year long?) I skimmed through it. (Lately, I hate reading monthlies, and prefer TPBs.) Honestly, I was impressed with Lee's art but I'm not a fan of Jeph Loeb, so I'm taking my sweet time in picking up the trade (or reading the single issues, which I have).

How about Batman: Year One? :P

Seriously, try The Long Halloween (set about Year Two) and its sequel Dark Victory (Year Three-ish). As I said before, I'm not a fan of Loeb's work, but most people seem to like these two titles.

There's also Robin: Year One and Batgirl: Year One, if you happen to be fans of those characters.