The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I had never seen an episode of Doctor Who and I had never seen an episode of Doctor Who and on a whim today saw the Series 1 premiere "Rose".

I wasn't that crazy about it overall thanks to the poor special effects, the ridiculousness of the episode's antagonists, and the title character: I know from listening to a few episodes of Bigger on the Inside and Better in the Dark that she's a very annoying, unsympathetic character, but I didn't know she was too dumb realize her boyfriend had been replaced by a plastic dummy. Also, I think mannequins actually are pretty fucking creepy, but this episode missed the mark by not giving their faces the soulless, unblinking eyes that mannequins have. Eccleston, though, was really entertaining and I loved some of his lines ("Won't work; he's gay and she's an alien), but the teaser for the next episode killed any interest I had in watching the rest of the season.

As a complete outsider to the series, are my criticisms valid? Did I choose the wrong episode as my introduction to Doctor Who? If so, where should I start instead?

The first season isn't that great. Since it's like a new beginning for the current series, I'd watch Season 5. If you end up enjoying it, you can go back and watch what came before.

I find season 27 to be fantastic, the second episode is a bit weird, but the third is very strong, and once you get past the first two-parter it ends up with great quality. However I do think you should start with season 31 (Series 5).

The first season isn't that great. Since it's like a new beginning for the current series, I'd watch Season 5. If you end up enjoying it, you can go back and watch what came before.

I find season 27 to be fantastic, the second episode is a bit weird, but the third is very strong, and once you get past the first two-parter it ends up with great quality. However I do think you should start with season 31 (Series 5).

I'm going to agree with Koete and Shaun. Watch the Matt Smith episodes (Series 5) as he is a new doctor and you can start the series as a fan not knowing f-all about Dr Who and enjoying it.

If you enjoy series 5, then go back and watch the earlier series with low expectations, as even series 2, and part of series 3 have aged badly, with crap looking special effects, again in comparison to what they can do now.

Some episodes you should try and watch if/when you try and watch it again:

Series 1:

Fathers Day.

Dalek.

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances

Bad Wolf/Parting of ways.

Series 2:

Christmas special(It'll be the first of the new run, and on the series 2 set)

School reunion

The girl in the fireplace

Series 3:

Christmas special

Human Nature

The family of blood

Blink

Utopia

The sounds of drums

Last of the time lords

Series 4:

Partners in crime

Silence in the library

Forest of the dead

Turn left

Specials

Christmas specials where always enjoyable.

I would say start with series 5, and if you enjoy that, go back and watch those episodes in particular. Do any other Who fans have any additions?

Also, working on this list, I realised that although I claim to really dislike series 3 the most, I've actually put in more episodes in that series for ones to watch than any other.

A fellow Doctor Who fan just presented me with an excellent idea: We need to come up with a drink called Five Rounds Rapid!

That sounds like a C2E2 drinking contest rule to me!

I'm thinking more like five shots that need to be taken within 30 seconds to a minute or a drink made up of five shots. I'm thinking shot of vodka, shot of rum, shot of something green apple, shot of whiskey, and shot of jager.

James Corden is reprising his role from The Lodger for this coming series.

I'm thinking more like five shots that need to be taken within 30 seconds to a minute or a drink made up of five shots. I'm thinking shot of vodka, shot of rum, shot of something green apple, shot of whiskey, and shot of jager.

This is exactly what I was thinking.