The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"It's not as good as it used to be" has a very long tradition in Doctor Who fandom, going all the way back to the B&W era. There will always be people saying "it's okay nowadays, I guess, but it was better when I was a kid". The fact that people are now saying it is A) an indication of how long the modern series has been on, that fandom is already starting to recycle, and B) absolutely hilarious to those of us old enough to remember this exact same argument being had when (for example) McCoy was clearly not a patch on Pertwee.

This was also the source of JNT's now-infamous "The memory cheats", his response whenever someone indicated that the show had declined in quality; i.e., "No, you're remembering it wrong. The Hinchcliffe era was nowhere NEAR as good as you think it was." It was deeply insulting and incredibly inaccurate, and was just one more thing many longtime fans found so infuriating about the man, in that he managed to both cut down the earlier era's success and to say "meh, what I come up with is good enough" in one fell swoop.

This was also the source of JNT's now-infamous "The memory cheats", his response whenever someone indicated that the show had declined in quality; i.e., "No, you're remembering it wrong. The Hinchcliffe era was nowhere NEAR as good as you think it was." It was deeply insulting and incredibly inaccurate, and was just one more thing many longtime fans found so infuriating about the man, in that he managed to both cut down the earlier era's success and to say "meh, what I come up with is good enough" in one fell swoop.

I also lead to chris chibnall to go on TV and bitch about lazy, poor writing in the show on JNTs watch. The same guy would later work with RTD and give use Hungry earth, 42 and the Torchwood episode Cyberwoman.

I also lead to chris chibnall to go on TV and bitch about lazy, poor writing in the show on JNTs watch. The same guy would later work with RTD and give use Hungry earth, 42 and the Torchwood episode Cyberwoman.

Well, and Dinosaurs on a Spaceship, The Power of Three and the Torchwood episodes Countrycide, Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Adrift and Fragments, all of which kick a lot of ass in my books.

I'm always curious about the flack 42 receives. I rewatched it recently and found it to be perfectly adequate. And watching a Sherlock antagonist die is quite satisfying (if, like me, you sometimes project one role of an actor onto a different role).

On maybe a similar note, I'm off to the cinema where they're beaming a production of Faust as performed in Shakespeare's Globe theatre. Arthur Darvil plays Mephistopheles!

Much like the Dalek asylum, I would love to see a Cyberman graveyard. Not saying Gaiman should write that, it's just me wishing to see old Cybers scattered about. Hell, a group of hodgepodge Cybers made from parts of long dead (RE: older and newer models) would be cool, too. (Sort of like Auntie and Uncle, I guess.)