The Doctor Who thread

Capaldi has been tapping into the Doctor's inner Tennant for a while this season, as well as the usual Doctor quirkiness, so I was hoping for a story to come along to really push the dark stuff. This was just what I was wanting. It was pretty serious from start to finish, and the ending was a proper Doctor Who cliffhanger.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought that all the Doctors since Tennant sign on initially for a 3-season dealio.

I think that was true of Tennant and Smith, but Capaldi had more stroke when he signed because he was better established. My understanding was his initial contract was only for a year.

Loved this.

The scene down in the Black Archive has gotten a lot of praise online, and I'll add to that. Wow. Capaldi really did fantastic work. Heard a little bit of David Tennant earlier in the episode, like when he saw Kate again. Funny that Tennant's been praised for being able to bring out certain Doctors for certain situations, now he's part of that past archive.

Osgood continued to be great.

Zygon Clara was wonderful. And I don't usually make these comments, but damn she was hot. 

The line about Clara getting inside your head felt self-congratulatory though.

Right now it's the best of the season for me.

What was it that Dan said about Eccelston and Smith? Was the term "acting clinic"?

HOL-EEE SHIT.

Goddammit, is Capaldi my new favorite? That was the best episode for me since the Girl Who Waited. Capaldi just choked the life out of that final act. He is SOOO THE DOCTOR.

If this season and the previous were switched, he'd be definitively everyone's new popular favorite by now, this I am thinking.

Th'fresh hell was that?

That was The Wilderness Years in a nutshell. During the old show, if a writer created a character, they co-owned it with the BBC. Because of that, if you wanted to make a fan film, didn't mention the Doctor, got the permission of the original writers who created the characters you wanted to use, and convinced the original actors to come back, you could go ahead and create a direct-to-VHS sequel to The Web of Fear. These were a way for fanboys to get their fix with the original actors, writers, and monsters.

They... weren't always great.

I thought this most recent episode was very interesting. It started off a bit too much feeling like the Lake/Flood story, but as it went on it got less and less predictable for me.

One of my new favorite Capaldi moments was when Clara yells "For God's sake listen to him! He knows what he's talking about!" and Capaldi, among all the confusion manages to retort with a nervous bit of laughter. He's really rising fast as a favorite Doctor of mine, he is so wonderful in the role.

I was gritting my teeth all throughout it. First of all, fuck found footage. I figured out we were seeing from people's perspectives we shouldn't and the explanation was kinda clever, but it was just a gimmick and they didn't really do anything interesting with it. Rassmussen's narration was annoying and didn't add anything. "None of the crew made it out alive," oh really? That's so intriguing because it's not like you expect a bunch of the guest cast to die in an episode of Doctor Who. The "capitalism is bad" stuff was so blunt and half-assed, just poorly written.  The use of "Mr. Sandman" was so unfunny and really had no business being in the 38th century. The guest cast were all characters we've seen before and weren't particularly interesting, and, like you said, so much of the first half felt like a two-parter we'd already seen this season. Even by Doctor Who standards, the Sandmen were laughably terrible monsters. Living eye dust, are you fucking kidding me? Rassmussen's face disintegrating was a creepy bit, but fuck that ending.

Hidden Content

I'll agree with you about the typical guest cast, the use of the song and the goofy monsters. I actually had a feeling while watching it thinking to myself "I'm into this episode, but I just know someone online is going to hate it", and I kept waiting to find reasons for that to be. Guess they were right in front of me : p

IDK, I didn't love it, but I thought this was fine. A lot of the cons you listed were indeed cons, including dude's goofy distorted voice at the end, but they didn't elicit a negative response from me. I guess I was really into Capaldi figuring out what was going on. I thought the found footage gimmick was neat, and while not scary, new to see on the show.

I mean, thinking about it now, the Capaldi era so far has had the same, repeated style of guest characters in a "Base Under Siege" type of story. That has been a trope in his run for a long time, I'll admit that. But I can't say I thought any of this was bad. I found it enjoyable, but not as great as the Zygon story or the Lake/Flood story.