The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

As far as Christmas episodes, it wasn't bad. Not the worse.

My head canon in regards to New York has, since The Angels Take Manhatten, that The Doctor was just looking to get rid of Amy and Rory, that there was no danger to him using the TARDIS there. Since he was taking the TARDIS all around it this time out, I think that just confirms that.

• 4 weeks later...

While a lot of us I think could see this coming, I'm still sad - Capaldi has been amazing, and he clearly loves the role so much.  I'm just pleased that it sounds like he had the option to stay on, but chose not to, rather than going the full Colin and being told "it's over".  Brand new start then, with Chibnall - assuming Bill isn't sticking around?

I'm bummed. It doesn't feel like these actors stay on very long because of how the seasons are produced even if it technically meets the 3 year/3 season tradition.

I really hope the tenth season pulls out all the stops to showcase the 12th Doctor. I feel like Capaldi was perfect in the role but played more towards the episodes rather than was given a lot of stories himself. Much of the 9th season remedied that, but I felt he's not been given moments to shine with the consistency that Matt Smith had.

• 3 weeks later...

Series Ten hasn't started yet, but we're already looking ahead to Series Eleven.

BBC Sources have indicated that next year's series of Doctor Who, the first with the thirteenth Doctor, will be broadcast in the Autumn of 2018.

New showrunner Chris Chibnall is currently still working on season three of his ITV crime drama Broadchurch , which is currently being edited and will premiere in the UK on 27 February.

• 3 weeks later...

UK bookies have suspended any betting on Kris Marshall (My Family, Traffic Light, Love Actually) to take over as the Thirteenth Doctor. 

Note: this frequently means nothing. It sometimes means word is getting out.

I remember this happening with Paterson Joseph when he was up for Eleven. Obviously that didn't pan out, but word that's come out since then is that Joseph was all but signed until a couple of says before they announced Matt Smith after he fell through.

Can't say I know him from anything, but I really don't want another white guy. There is literally no logical reason to not change The Doctor's gender and ethnicity at this point. 

Chibnall went on record as saying something along the lines of "We can't just cast a woman or POC just to do it; it's got to be the right person." And the overwhelming takeaway from that was "Yep, it's gonna be another white guy." I tend to agree with you in that it would be pretty disappointing if that were the case. In Marshall's case specifically, I've seen him in a few things (BBC America was practically the My Family Network for a while, and I liked Traffic Light well enough although it certainly wasn't appointment television for me) and he's... fine? I guess? Again, though, I have to stress that this only means that a lot of people are betting on him. It doesn't explain why that is.

As for the image: :buttrock:

Yes, that is made of awesome. Also, this came from official BBC channels, so it's not really a spoiler.