The Doctor Who thread

I kind of hate that I know this...

The closest that's ever come to happening is when Eccelston was standing a few feet behind himself in "Father's Day." There's something called the "Blinovitch Limitation Effect" which essentially says that if anyone ever meets himself, a huge hole can be ripped in the time-space continuum (as evidenced when the Brigadier met himself in "Mawdryn Undead"). Time Lords can play with it a little, which is why separate aspects can meet for limited amounts of time without causing damage, but no oncarnation has ever met the same incarnation.

I'm going to go now and think about how I've spent my life. :blush:

I've got it! I think I know what's going to go down in the finale:

The Doctor will regenerate into Boston Dan

!

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That was very sad. I know Donna wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but I honestly think her relationship with the Doctor has been the best so far - it's been really refreshing to have a companion who wasn't in love with the Doctor and could shovel his crap right back at him - and this episode drove that home.

Crap... no new episodes til December.

For that matter, no new regular series until 2010. :shakehead:

At first I HATED Donna. She was too eager to be a companion, and generally got under my skin. By the end, however, I loved her. That shows great character growth, especially when you consider I only saw seven of the episodes from this season. That she grew so much in so little time is a testament to the writing staff.

ABSOLUTELY true.

Edited, because now that I think about it, I'm a little pissed. "Hey, viewers. You know that season of character development and personal growth Donna went through? Yeah, forget all that. Reset!"

On the whole, I thought it was a very good episode, and while the ending was very emotional, it also totally destroyed Donna's entire emotional journey over the course of the season.

Quality episode with everyone getting in some good lines, I wonder if they will wait till 2010 to introduce a new companion or try different ones in the specials next year to judge reactions?

Also im happy that Mickie will be seemingly joining Torchwood for their 5 episodes it seems next year, as I think he can bring something new to the team, hope that Martha Jones doesnt join though as I hate her and her character.

Sarah Jane was a waste of time in my opinion though, apart from the K-9 appearence there wasnt that much of a need for her

You're right about Sarah Jane being there. She didn't add anything, and it came off as an advertisement for her show. Regardless, it was cool to see all of the "Children of Time" together. Well, not all, as his daughter should have been there.

Oh, is it odd that I marked out for K-9's appearances? :unsure:

You're right about Sarah Jane being there. She didn't add anything, and it came off as an advertisement for her show. Regardless, it was cool to see all of the "Children of Time" together. Well, not all, as his daughter should have been there.

Oh, is it odd that I marked out for K-9's appearances? :unsure:

It seems that the only reason for Sarah Jane being there (other than, naturally, to pimp her show) was so that Davros could recognize her. "Hey! Weren't we in Genesis of the Daleks together?" Every now and then the new show gives the newer audience a quick reminder that it has twenty-six years of backstory.

And no, Mike, that's not odd at all.

I'm also calming down about Donna's fate somewhat. Not every story has to end happily; I do get that. :blush: It's tragic as hell, but they can't all run off to fight Cybermen and join Torchwood.

Oh, I half marked out when the second Doctor was born, because, for a moment, I thought it was the 9th. :shakehead:

As much as I want that to happen (and I don't know if words can express how much I DO want that), if Christopher Eccleston ever sets foot in the TARDIS again I will eat my hat. The man is notoriously unwilling to revisit old projects in any way - no sequels, no DVD commentaries, no interviews - unless he's contracted to do so. He just doesn't believe in returning to older work.

Awesome finale. The regeneration played out how I thought it would. A little bit of me is disappointed we didn't get a left field regeneration, but Tennant is too great as the Doctor for me to feel it was a rip-off. Davros was badass, I'm sure we'll see him again. Hopefully not too soon though, let the Daleks rest for a bit. Poor Donna. She had such a personality growth, really enjoyed travelling through time and space, and wasn't pining for The Doctor all the time like Rose and Martha. Seems almost like a fate worse than death. Nevertheless, the last scene was absolutely brilliant. So much emotion. The end to Rose's story was nice, she finally has a Doctor who can show his emotions without the pain associated with doing so. We also have a means for Tennant to return years after he leaves. Methinks Mickey and Martha will be joining up with Torchwood when it returns. Cybermen at Christmastime? Bring 'em on! The question is, when the series returns in 2010, who will be The Doctor's companion? With Moffat taking over for RTD...Sally Sparrow maybe?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just a couple of weeks following the release of complete seasons of new series Doctor Who on iTunes in the USA, a selection of classic Doctor Who adventures are now available on the download service as well.

While most of the titles released so far have already been made available on DVD, such as "Carnival of Monsters", "Mark of the Rani" and "The Ark in Space", a number of stories have been released that are avaiable nowhere else (with the VHS releases now long out-of-print), like "The Krotons", "The Sun Makers" and "Planet of the Spiders".

The stories are avaiable episodically, and cost $1.99 per episode.