• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gasped when The Doctor used the infostamp, and it

showed all of his previous incarnations

. Besides the

journal in "Human Nature," this was the only other time they've acknowledged his former selves.

And it was great

seeing Paul McGann. Finally he's getting some on-screen respect

David Morrissey did an excellent job here. He had such unrestrained confidence

as "The Doctor," and was utterly broken when he learned the truth about himself. However, he found a nice balance when he came to grips with reality.

The episode itself wasn't as epic as the past Christmas specials, but that's okay, because the story wasn't really about the Cybermen. At its core it was about

a man who lost himself. The Cybers were there to help Jackson find his way, that's all.

So it made sense for it to be somewhat subdued.

I'm a big Morrissey fan and he was great to start with but he really went off a cliff towards the end. I just found him irritating once he'd overcome his grief.

The Cyber-shades were blatantly cobbled together from left over old costumes, what a naff new variation.

Not good as far as christmas specials go, the best part was when the effect surrounded the faux-Tardis with the traditional opening spiral look.

Two other things from me that slightly annoyed me during the episode, the first is from the beginning where Tennant and Morrissey were being dragged through the warehouse as they were hanging onto the rope. They both went up the building and through this wide warehouse yet the assistant was already at the other end of the floor ready to help them?? How did she get there so quick?

The second point is how weak are the Cybermen now? Not scary at all and seem to have to always rely on others for any kind of a plan to work, are they so weak that children had to be used? And dont get me started on the fact that she was a

Cyber Queen not Cyber King lol

I'm a big Morrissey fan and he was great to start with but he really went off a cliff towards the end. I just found him irritating once he'd overcome his grief.

Reading that line and imagining a different Morrissey overcoming his grief made me chuckle.

I had the exact same reaction. :laugh:

Watched Doctor Who, the Movie.

- The name of the actor that played Dr. Swift? Michael David Simms. Something you want to tell us, Mike?

- Will Sasso in a weird cameo.

- How the hell does Eric Roberts keep getting work?

- Jelly babies were a nice touch.

- Some really groan worthy lines get thrown in here.

- Evil Grace... :wub:.

- This whole thing just flew by and felt uber rushed. I think it really could have used another 30 minutes or so.

Overall, I wasn't impressed. It was entertaining enough, mostly since McGann squeezed every bit of goodness he could out of a mediocre script, but that third act was a complete mess. This was definitely the worst portrayal of The Master I've ever seen, and I don't see that changing the more I go back. Eric Roberts was a horrible choice, and delivered a character that was wholly generic, with none of the subtlety of John Simm's performance. McGann saved this movie, and it's a damn shame he never got the series he deserved.

- The name of the actor that played Dr. Swift? Michael David Simms. Something you want to tell us, Mike?

:whistle:

- This whole thing just flew by and felt uber rushed. I think it really could have used another 30 minutes or so.

Agreed. Another fault was that it was too tied to continuity. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they respected the past, but this movie was meant to bring in Americans who had never heard of Doctor Who. You don't do that by making one reference after another to a dead TV show; doing so will turn off audiences, because they'll quickly learn they're not coming in at the ground floor.

The thing I hate most about that movie is Sylvester McCoy's death. Shot to death by gangbangers as he steps out of the TARDIS? Lame!

Yeah, it did assume way too much. I noticed that The Doctor was explaining parts of the TARDIS with only 20 minutes left to go, not to mention that she completely no sold the inside of the thing.