The Doctor Who thread

There are positives to point to - McGann's performance ("These shoes!"), his interplay with Grace, the shot in the arm this gave fandom when it sorely needed one - but on the whole this movie is utter shit. As much as I love McCoy, he shouldn't have been in this, and even he will say so. It's a ninety minute story, and the lead actor doesn't show up until twenty minutes in?

As Mike is absolutely right; it's so dense with continuity references that non-fans couldn't help but be totally alienated.

Also, it was trying to introduce the freedom and wide canvas of this show, by setting it in the far-flung distant future of (at that time) three years in the future. If it had spent less time worrying about pleasing longtime fans and more time stretching its legs and showing what the TARDIS, and therefore the show, was capable of, this could have been fucking amazing.

If nothing else, though, McGann is chiseled from pure awesome.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If nothing else, though, McGann is chiseled from pure awesome.

Dare I say quarried from Mount Awesome itself.

I have no doubt that he would have beaten Eccelston as my favorite Doctor if he was given a series. I'm seriously tempted to get some of the McGann audio dramas now.

BBC News has announced that the identity of the actor who will play with Eleventh Doctor, succeeding current Doctor David Tennant, will be announced tomorrow.

The news will come in a special edition of tie-in documentary series Doctor Who Confidential, which is being transmitted on BBC One tomorrow evening at 5.35pm. The episode will also be shown at the same time on BBC Big Screens in town centres across the UK.

The actor was confirmed in the role over the Christmas period, and will begin filming for series five this summer, for transmission in 2010. New executive producer Piers Wenger is quoted as saying: "We believe the actor is going to bring something very special to the role and will make it absolutely their own. I just can't wait to tell everyone who it is - it has been a nail-biting Christmas trying to keep this under wraps!"

The release from the BBC Press Office confirms that the Confidential episode has been retitled "The Eleventh Doctor" (it was formerly advertised as "The Ten Doctors"), and will feature the actor concerned giving his or her thoughts on having been cast. The press release also suggests that the last of David Tennant's episodes as the Doctor will be broadcast in the New Year of 2010.

Outpost Gallifrey will officially go completely apeshit by this time tomorrow.

I think it's going to be Paterson Joseph, who is a weird one since he was already on the show in a speaking role as a completely different character.

I was liking the idea of James Nesbitt, but that ain't happening now.

Don't look, Mike.

The Eleventh Doctor is

Matt Smith

As announced on today’s Doctor Who Confidential - The Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith has been cast to take over as the Doctor when David Tennant leaves in early 2010. This is definitely a surprise as he wasn’t even rumored until a day or two ago. Definitely out-of-the-blue casting. Major kudos to the production team for keeping this a secret! Smith is in the upcoming Moses Jones, and has previously appeared in Party Animals, Secret Diary of a Call Girl and The Ruby in the Smoke. The latter two shows also starred former Doctor Who actress Billie Piper.

Smith is the eleventh actor to take over on the regular series, although several other actors have played the Time-Lord in a variety of other mediums, including a replacement for William Hartnell (the originator of the character) for the show’s twentieth anniversary multi-Doctor TV episode in 1983. It’s expected we will see Tennant’s tenth Doctor regenerate into Smith in the former’s final on-screen appearance, a special tentatively scheduled for Easter 2010. A few weeks after that will be the start of the fifth series since the show’s return with Smith firmly in the lead.

Edited to add: Dammit, Sims!!!! :D

I haven't seen anything he's done, and In Moff We Trust, so I'm trying to reserve judgment.

However, not only is this the first time I've been older than the Doctor, my youngest brother, who's 27, is older than the Doctor. That's just weird.

And the emo hair has to go.

On Confidential they kept mentiong his age before announcing his name, then when he appeared my first reaction was that there's no way he's 26 he's way younger than that. As mentioned on the show as well as long as he can do the fun moments and emotional moments well he could be fairly good, although I would imagine by casting a younger guy we are going to have more love interest story's which have been played on enough through the last two doctors

Despite the rumor I just read about her, this could mean that we won't be seeing River Song soon. If you recall, they had this exchange:

River: Look at you! You're young.

Doctor: I'm really not, you know.

River: No, but you are! Your eyes. You're younger than I've ever seen you.

The only way that statement works with an actor younger than Tennant, is if

Smith

plays the part older than Tennant.

Oh, as an FYI: we can stop with the spoiler tags come this time Sunday. That gives people a full 24 hours to hear the news / see Confidential without having it spoiled here.

I don't think we're ever going to see River again, honestly. The way they built her up and all the secrets being exposed to her, there's just no way. I think we just have to assume that the Tenth Doctor ran into her at some point, maybe right before "The Next Doctor".

Well, the next one is Pretentious College Student Who. He calls everyone who disagrees with him on any point a crypto-fascist and rails against the parents who pay for his apartment. After that is Angsty Teenage Who. He writes bad poetry about the misery and pain of gym class. Li'l Who comes after that.

I knew it! Moffat is following me everywhere!