The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This story is on the front page of Yahoo right now! How wild is that?! It's hard to believe that a cult favorite sci-fi TV show that died in the late 1980s returned 15 years later to this kind of attention. Besides Star Trek, I can't think of any other niche franchise that has been resurrected and embraced by the general public in such a way, to the point that major cast changes are considered news around the world.

This story is on the front page of Yahoo right now! How wild is that?! It's hard to believe that a cult favorite sci-fi TV show that died in the late 1980s returned 15 years later to this kind of attention. Besides Star Trek, I can't think of any other niche franchise that has been resurrected and embraced by the general public in such a way, to the point that major cast changes are considered news around the world.

The closest thing would be Bond films in terms of the cast changes, but Battlestar is a pretty significant revival.

Though I'll give you Battlestar, the difference between Bond and Doctor Who is that Bond isn't what I'd call a "cult favorite" franchise. It's had its ups and downs, sure, but it's always been accepted by the movie-loving world. Doctor Who hasn't had that sort of love, however. Not until recently, that is.

Though I'll give you Battlestar, the difference between Bond and Doctor Who is that Bond isn't what I'd call a "cult favorite" franchise. It's had its ups and downs, sure, but it's always been accepted by the movie-loving world. Doctor Who hasn't had that sort of love, however. Not until recently, that is.

Not in your country, but Dr who was drawing big ratings in the UK for years back in the 60's and 70's when it averaged between 9 and 16 million viewers.

I know this is a rather random post, but a pretty astounding thing happened to me today, and it is on topic to an extent.

I was giving some clothes away to Goodwill, and a friend of mine from work wanted to come along. She was going through some of my stuff on the way, seeing if she could give anything to her brother, etc. Anyways, she happened upon a leather jacket I'd somehow acquired a few years ago. I say "acquired" because I surely never bought it, and no one gave it to me as a gift. It was just there in my closet for a while. I've always loathed the thing and had been meaning to toss it for some time, especially since I look utterly dreadful in it. She takes a look at it for a second, then asks me why I'm tossing it.

Me: I look like shit in it.

Her: Nah, I think you'd look good in it.

I strongly disagreed, but when a female tells me I look good in anything, I tend to take notice. So we literally stopped in the Goodwill parking lot and I put the damn thing on to prove my point. Her reaction surprised me.

Her: You look just like that guy on your locker.

THIS is the picture on my locker at work.

7xt3gnm.jpg

I never occurred to me until now, but if I lose the goatee, and drop a few pounds, maybe grow out my ears a bit, I am the Ninth Doctor.

Needless to say, this inspired me to not only keep the jacket, but get into shape this year. I haven't dressed up for Halloween since I was 9 years old, but you can bet your ass that when this year's horror convention comes around, this guy right here is going to be, dare I say, fantastic looking.

Rewatched Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead today, and there were a few things I noticed.

When River says "you're young, younger than I've ever seen you", she's not referring to his appearance, but his actual age at that moment. Example, The Doctor is 904 in this episode, but they don't actually meet, in whatever incarnation until he's 906 or something. This supports the idea that she traveled with the Eleventh Doctor and while he looks 14 years old, he's actually older.

BUT

She also instantly recognizes him, and her first words are "hello sweetie", supporting the idea that she actually traveled with the Tenth Doctor. This is also supported by the fact that she goes through her diary and asks him where he is in time since their last meeting. Obviously, if she traveled with the Eleventh, she would have instantly known that he doesn't remember her, especially if she's there for the regeneration.

This is why I don't think we'll ever see her again. Her adventures with the Doctor need to have happened while he was still in his Tenth incarnation, and clearly, there's no time for that now, so we have to assume that they've already happened at this point.

You have a picture of Christopher Eccleston on your locker? :unsure:

Yes. Next to my other heroes such as The Riddler and Lavos. It's a stupid work thing, everyone puts shit on their lockers.

I'm also intrigued to learn how you plan to grow your ears out.

Lots of painful stretching exercises.

You have a picture of Christopher Eccleston on your locker? :unsure:

Yes. Next to my other heroes such as The Riddler and Lavos. It's a stupid work thing, everyone puts shit on their lockers.

I tried to put up a 2009 calender of great film posters in our offices. January was Fight Club and my boss called me a homo until I took it down.