The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, I guess the more regenerations that the Doctor uses up, the more immune he is to death by falling. Ten fell out of a plane and was only in slight pain. Eleven freefalls out of Orbit and is just a little dizzy.,

He mentioned that the suit was "repairing" him after his fall. So apparently he was hurt, but the suit kept him alive somehow.

Agreeing with K-Dubs here (it's Christmas after all), as I'm pretty sure there was a line in which The Doctor referred to his garb as being an "impact suit". Instead, I was bothered by the fact I couldn't buy Alexander Armstrong as an actor (nor Bill Bailey & Arabella Weir bcause they seemed totally out of place), the son character was a moronic brat who I couldn't stand, I hated Madge operating the space vehicle, and I have issues with

the episode not pulling the trigger on the tragic subtext.

Christmas episodes are allowed to be mawkish, but this one was pretty rushed.

Matt Smith was brilliant though!

Yeah, I really didn't enjoy Madge as a character. In today's fiction, there are a thousand uber-resourceful mothers who will (somewhat comedically) stop at nothing to protect their children. It wasn't entertaining here; it was a cliché.

I also agree about the reversal at the ending. I mean, I'm all for sappy goodness, but when you literally rob the story of emotion, it doesn't work. What worked better was last year's special, where they allowed for the "happy ending" but still left with the knowledge that the hot blonde chick was going to die.

• 2 weeks later...

After winning Best Actor at the National Television Awards tonight, Matt gave a quote:

Speaking after receiving his award Matt Smith gave some clue to the future telling Radio Times that he has one more year of Doctor Who left and then he was going to try his luck in Hollywood. Although he later told the BBC Entertainment News Team he has no plans to leave.

This is the second time Smith has commented on having one more year to go and then backtracking (he said the exact same thing in an interview over the summer: one more year of Doctor Who, then Hollywood). Once is misspeaking. Twice is damage control. Matt's gone.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with Q is the whole omnipotent judge thing. He's something that literally cannot be fought, so there's no real, concrete problem for the characters to solve. Having the Borg and Cybermen makes sense partially because their goals are similar, but also because they're both extremely powerful enemies that need a special brand of ingenuity to defeat.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been listening to a couple of snippets from Tom Baker's new Big Finish stories. It'e absolutely remarkable; unlike every other Doctor (although it's not TOO noticable with Colin), the man's voice has not aged a day. He still sounds like he's 40.

New Series: New Details!

22nd Feb 2012

Filming on the new series of Doctor Who began on the morning of Monday, 20th February and the latest press release gives details of guest stars, plus quotes from Matt Smith and Karen Gillan.

The press release in full:

Filming is underway on the new series of Doctor Who and the last for the Ponds!

Filming has just started on Series 7 of Doctor Who in Cardiff. This series will see the last days of the Ponds with Karen Gillan and Arthur Darvill returning for their final, rollercoaster voyage with the Doctor. Amy and Rory have been at the Doctor's side for more than two series but what will he do after their heartbreaking departure?

On returning for his third series as the Eleventh Doctor, Matt Smith says: "It's thrilling and exciting to be back and working with two of my closest friends."

Karen Gillan adds: "It's just brilliant to be back on the TARDIS with Matt and Arthur for our craziest adventures yet."

Plus new guest stars so far confirmed to star will include David Bradley, Rupert Graves and Mark Williams.

Series 7 will then see a dramatic turn of events when the Doctor meets a new friend. Prepare yourselves for thrills, adventures and dramatic surprises as the show builds towards its enormous, climactic 50th anniversary year. Fourteen big, blockbuster-movie episodes - each a brand new epic adventure featuring new monsters and some familiar foes as you've never seen them before.

Doctor Who is a BBC Cymru Wales Production for BBC ONE.

Source.

Also, am I the only one interpreting how long they're taking to announce the new companion that it has to be someone big or someone familiar? I know we're probably a little under a year away from when they're introduced but we found out who the new companion was about the same time the previous series wrapped up in the past.

Forgot to mention, we had a lecture on Monday by the BBC's head of interactive content in South Wales. It was basically all about all the web-based content they make for Doctor Who and included tonnes of footage from the making of the various games you can download, mostly mocap and rotoscoping. It was pretty cool. The guy meets with Moffat to get the stories for his games approved right down to the mannerisms of the Doctor. Really interesting.