The Doctor Who thread

I've just finished watching series two of the modern Doctor Who show and i picked up a set of Torchwood, i looked up the original air dates for each show and found out that they did not air side by side. My question is can i watch series three of Doctor Who while watching season 1 of Torchwood, do the two shows intertwine like Buffy and Angel or the next generation and deep space nine. Or should i watch Torchwood season 1 to its completion and then start series three of Doctor Who ?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They don't crossover until the last episode of the first season of Torchwood. The cliffhanger ties directly into the last three episodes of Doctor Who Season 3. So watch "End of Days" (Torchwood), then "Utopia," "The Sound of Drums" and "Last of the Time Lords" (Doctor Who).

I'm going to merge this with the all-purpose Doctor Who thread.

They don't crossover until the last episode of the first season of Torchwood. The cliffhanger ties directly into the last three episodes of Doctor Who Season 3. So watch "End of Days" (Torchwood), then "Utopia," "The Sound of Drums" and "Last of the Time Lords" (Doctor Who).

Cool thanks for clearing that up for me. Will you and Dan cover Torchwood or any other spin-offs on BOTI ? like how you and James cover the entire DCAU ?

Truth be told, the spin-offs have barely come up. We're not even going to finish with the classic series until mid 2012, and it'll be over a year after that before we even catch up to Matt Smith.

I would never rule anything out, though.

Likewise, watch The Sarah Jane Adventures Season 1 and Torchwood Season 2 before getting to the last three episodes of Series 4.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't agree with Jack often, and I will admit to not having seen any the the new seasons in their entirity, but I rate Martha above Rose & Donna, if only because I don't like seeing big names bolster their careers via Dr Who. I don't like Billie Piper being the focus of the show when she's famous enough without it and my hatred of Catherine Tate's sketch show made me less sympathetic to the character going into the series. I'm not going to say Martha's perfect or anything, but it was refreshing to see a new face as the companion for the few shows I've seen of series three.

Like I've said before, Donna grows on you. I personally loved her by the end of The Runaway Bride but I know one of my buddies hated her for most of series 4 until The episode after The Poison Sky (not saying the name since it's a slight spoiler). I'll agree that her sketch show could be irritating to say the least but if we let one aspect of an actor's career influence the rest then Jamie Fox is just another comedian, Will Smith is the Fresh Prince, and Wil Wheaton is annoying.

As for Martha, she really became a better character once she joined UNIT. In fact, most of the companions in the new series become better later on. Captain Jack was kinda two note to me prior to Torchwood.Mickey gained purpose after leaving the TARDIS. Same for Martha.

Donna was great in The Runaway Bride, but not as a companion. Martha was cool, and by the time she was done had changed into someone that can take care of herself. Rose was like a wide eyed kid that never grew up. Maybe I'll like Donna more as I keep watching,but she annoys me with her over reacting and wish the Doctor would just tell her to shut up when she yells at him.

Martha was hanging onto the Doctor and saying "Look at me, I'm young, take me you old man."

Donna does that that also, and even stalked him.

Donna does that that also, and even stalked him.

Except Donna wanted to go with The Doctor for the adventure while Martha went with him because she wanted to, to borrow a British phrase, shag him.

As the official head of English linguistics, I'll freely allow the American usage of the word "shag".

And it's a fair criticism to say Martha again had to be enamoured of The Doctor. It's RTD's fault, but you can't divorce the production intent from the character, which is why I find it so hard arguing about how awesome Michael Gough is as Alfred when he's used to proclaim the non-existant virtues of Vicki Vale.

Well, they were retreading the same ground with the Martha/Doctor relationship, it was done well with Billie Piper the first time.

I wouldn't mind it so much, but their was no chemistry, it reminded me of Kristin Kreuk/Tom Welling in Smallville, they have no chemistry, yet ram it down your throat claiming their is.

Donna does grow on you, and she is meant more a foil for the doctor to me, as she can hold her own against the doctor and be genuinely entertaining on her own.

For the record I usually can't stand Catherine Tate and thought her sketch show was awful and when I originally found out about her, I refused to watch the show, but then she was actually good in the show.

What's everyones order for the new show from best to worst?

Mines is:

Season 2.

Season 4

Season 3.

Season 1.

If it wasn't for 1 being really cheesy looking now, I would put 3 as the worst.

But that's my opinion.

Of the modern seasons, I'd go 4, 2, 3, 1.

Season 4: The only episode I'm not really a fan of is "The Fires of Pompeii," everything else is gold.

Season 2: For me, this seasons scores so high due to the chemistry between Tennant and Piper. Together, they really sold the characters and their romance.

Season 3: When it comes to the episodes, this is better than the second season, but I never felt a connection with Martha. And that hurts the season a little.

Season 1: It does a great job bringing the Doctor back, but it could have used more alien worlds and less farting aliens.

Of the modern seasons, I'd go 4, 2, 3, 1.

Agreed, but I think the stories in season two are stonger than the Piper/Tennant dynamic. I never really bought into their chemistry the way I did Piper and Eccleston.

A second animated story starring David Tennant as the Doctor will be broadcast later this year.

"Dreamland", written by Phil Ford, will comprise seven episodes of roughly six minutes each. This will air as part of the BBC's red button service and Children's BBC.

Also appearing in the story are Georgia Moffett ("The Doctor's Daughter") playing a character called Cassie Rice, Lisa Bowerman ("Survival" and the Big Finish Bernice Summerfield series), and David Warner (Tron, Time Bandits). Warner is also no stranger to Doctor Who, having played the Time Lord himself in two Big Finish audio plays released in 2003 and 2008.

"Dreamland" follows 2007's animated adventure "The Infinite Quest", currently available on DVD.

Ford has written for Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures, and his other 2009 Doctor Who story, The Waters of Mars (co-written with Russell T Davies) is slated to broadcast in November. Directing "Dreamland" is Gary Russell.

More details will be forthcoming.