The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Mirror really is the Sun but with a less conservative agenda.

OK. Three UK newspapers you don't believe even if they told you that snow was cold and the sun was hot.

Oh god, I don't trust half of them as far as I can shoot venom from my non-existant fangs. The UK's intense national competition between brands has lead to the tabloids being morally deprived unreliable rags you can't trust to wrap your chips let along report a story.

Fish & chips in pubs is one thing, but the best place to get fish & chips are takeaways, as that's where you get the newspaper wrappers for the proper thick, stodgy chips.

Personally, I prefer a jumbo sausage to a bit of battered cod (ooh Matron!), but that's personal preference. It's a beloved British institution, alongside casual alcoholism, Dame Judi Dench and world conquest.

A few journalists have tweeted that the press conference has finished. Gonna be a long wait till midnight (although it may be earlier because both BBC News and Sky News have slots where they review the next days papers at 10:30 tonight)

Of course it wouldn't surprise me if the news leaked even earlier

Why not just publicise the press conference? This is irritating.

Indeed. I assume it has something to do with the release partner (iTunes or whoever) needing whatever the hell it is they need.

To quote a post from another forum -

Just to play devil's advocate (I work in media relations) the midnight embargo is an important tool to maxmise publicity.

It means that the daily papers on Friday won't feel 'scooped' by Thursday's TV/Radio news programmes and online news websites and so will give the story a much higher profile in their pages. It also means the story will be higher up the running order for breakfast TV and radio bulletins on Friday morning (breakfast radio, in particular, gets massive listening figures compared to the rest of the day).

So while it is annoying, it will mean the story will get bigger coverage in Friday's papers and be heard by peak radio audiences Friday morning too. So the midnight embargo actually gives the story more gravitas which - in some ways - is a good thing.

I do believe it's a bit outdated in this day and age though. It's not new though, the British press have always used midnight as a time for press embargoes

Per a reporter who did not sign an NDA, the announced episodes found were all five missing episodes from the Enemy of the World (Pat Troughton Vs. Evil Pat Troughton Who Sounds Like Tony Montana) and four episodes from The Web of Fear (Yeti/Great Intelligence in the Underground, first appearance of the Brig) with possibly more to come.

Per a reporter who did not sign an NDA, the announced episodes found were all five missing episodes from the Enemy of the World (Pat Troughton Vs. Evil Pat Troughton Who Sounds Like Tony Montana) and four episodes from The Web of Fear (Yeti/Great Intelligence in the Underground, first appearance of the Brig) with possibly more to come.

That seems to be the rumours I'm hearing, but some of those are coming from the Facebook page of author Lance Parkin (https://m.facebook.com/lance.parkin?id=100001275510591&_rdr) who later in the comments says he wasn't there but has heard that info from twitter.

I've also heard a few murmours about Marco Polo, but can't find any source for that.

Until the press release, or a report from someone who was definitely there, I'm gonna take everything with a pinch of salt :)