The Doctor Who thread

New minisode Night of the Doctor http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01lhhv4/Doctor_Who_Mini_Episode_The_Night_Of_The_Doctor/

Features the first onscreen appearance of Paul McGann in 17 years and one of the missing regenerations. Also all the Big Finish companions got a nod and Moffat canonised the idea that a Time Lord can change gender

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Squee! Plenty there to keep me in discussion topics until the big one.

Awesome to see McGann again, and to see them tacitly approve the Big Finish stuff by referencing his companions.

Going all the way back to the Brain of Morbius with the Sisterhood was awesome, this whole 50th anniversary really is about rewarding the knowledgeable fans.

Interesting to see that the regenerated John Hurt was a young version. I know Time Lords age differently and obviously he had a hard life due to the war, but could Hurt's incarnation actually be the longest-lived of any of them?

Wendee squealed so loudly from the other room that the dog jumped up and ran to see if she was okay.

Interesting to see that the regenerated John Hurt was a young version. I know Time Lords age differently and obviously he had a hard life due to the war, but could Hurt's incarnation actually be the longest-lived of any of them?

Anything's possible. Hartnell regenerated, essentially, because of old age, and he was estimated to be about 450 when he went. Hurt's incarnation could easily be hundreds of years old.

I prefer the name "the Warrior". As someone else pointed out, that probably made River's comment in "A good man Goes to War" that to some the term Doctor meant "Great Warrior" sting a little more.

Also I do wonder if the fact that he starts out as a young Hurt means that his age in the current series counts from that regeneration, hence the odd fact that he somehow lost 50 years in between 6 and 9. (most likely that's due to a writer flub but it would be nice to work that one in)

So I'm having to watch this in the computer room at uni cause my laptops being fixed and I may have forgotten to be quiet and got a few odd looks. But when I said Doctor Who minisode lots of other people went to watch and now discussion on Doctor Who is flowing around the room and no ones really bothering to work

I love how the Time War has got to the point that people think that Daleks and the Time Lords are just as bad as each toher, it reallyshows the reach and the effect the Great Time War had on the universe and not just on the Doctor.

And Big Finish is now cannon - even if it's just the 8th Doctors stuff - which is a huge thing and means hopefully they'll get more money coming in as people rush to find out about these other stories.
Plus this regneration is officially not the Doctor, and his level of acting when he came to the decision to change who he was is completely brilliant.

Oh and I need to tell people who care and would find it awesome what I'm doing on the 50th, lots of my friends are like 'that's nice...'

I've got tickets to the Doctor Who Experience, and the TARDIS Tour. And then we're gonig to see a privte DWE showing of the Day of the Doctor followed by an after party on some of the sets with costumes from the episode there as well... and when I spoke to them on the phone they hinted towards actors potentially being there as well. :holyshit:

9 days to go guys, let's try not to explode with exctiement while waiting

Oh and I need to tell people who care and would find it awesome what I'm doing on the 50th, lots of my friends are like 'that's nice...'

I've got tickets to the Doctor Who Experience, and the TARDIS Tour. And then we're gonig to see a privte DWE showing of the Day of the Doctor followed by an after party on some of the sets with costumes from the episode there as well... and when I spoke to them on the phone they hinted towards actors potentially being there as well. :holyshit:

Grumble grumble no fair

Why McGann wearing the film costume? His Big Finish one is really nice and different and suitable for a man running from a war

I actually like it. It's clearly a stripped-down version of his movie costume, while not so clearly "costume-y". The BF version is nice, but this really works for me.

Agreed with Dan, if this was more than a webisode I'd favour the other version, but for visual continuity in the show I'm fine with what they did.

I'm wondering if this opens it up for more McGann in the future. I know this is clearly a goodbye of sorts but if they're undoing the time war to some extent then potential issues around involving 8 become less significant. Plus they've now established his look in the modern era, so clearly he's an actual option.

It'd be really cool to get a 12th/8th crossover going, one dealing with the run up to the Time War and one who is the result of it's final dissolution. It depends on what kind of Doctor Capaldi is but it could work.