The Doctor Who thread

I'd bet that if people didn't know or care who Moffat was, a good number of the complaints would cease. Lots of the criticism leveled at DW in recent years has been based on assumptions (well-informed or not) about what Moffat's thoughts and intentions are. ("Moffat is sexist"; "Moffat is just trying to create memes"; "Moffat is too self-referential"; "Moffat thinks he's being clever"; "Moffat is a funny name when you think about it")

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think with Doctor Who, you can't disregard the people with the power behind the scenes. There's a reason Hinchcliffe is identified with horror, Saward with violence, and the Seventh Doctor changed when Cartmel established himself. In a show that can be anything, what the show runner, script editor, producer, whoever has the creative power sees it as is going to shine through.

When it comes to Moffat I have more specific complaints-

-Over-reliant on arcs that are supposed to end in the Doctors death. From the Van Gogh showing the destruction of the Tardis (Season 5), The Impossible Astronaut (Season 6) and Trenzalore (Season 7) it feels like they're always headed to a predetermined point of his destruction.

-Always ties his season finales in knots, I wish he'd tell a straightforward story for once. I bet there's a lot of people who can't follow his overall stories. Heck, listening to BOTI it feels like hardcore fans have trouble!

-Why is the Doctor's relationship with any powerful woman always outrageously flirty?

-Creates very interesting concept villains like the Silence and Weeping Angels and then has no idea where to take them after that.

I think with Doctor Who, you can't disregard the people with the power behind the scenes. There's a reason Hinchcliffe is identified with horror, Saward with violence, and the Seventh Doctor changed when Cartmel established himself. In a show that can be anything, what the show runner, script editor, producer, whoever has the creative power sees it as is going to shine through.

I think we're talking about two different things to an extent. It's not as though the showrunner doesn't matter; it's that I think it's a little unfair to judge a book by its author, so to speak. If the book itself is bad, that's one thing, but a good chunk of the criticism about modern DW is really just criticism about Moffat himself, whether the show objectively deserves it or not.

-Over-reliant on arcs that are supposed to end in the Doctors death. From the Van Gogh showing the destruction of the Tardis (Season 5), The Impossible Astronaut (Season 6) and Trenzalore (Season 7) it feels like they're always headed to a predetermined point of his destruction.

-Always ties his season finales in knots, I wish he'd tell a straightforward story for once. I bet there's a lot of people who can't follow his overall stories. Heck, listening to BOTI it feels like hardcore fans have trouble!

-Why is the Doctor's relationship with any powerful woman always outrageously flirty?

-Creates very interesting concept villains like the Silence and Weeping Angels and then has no idea where to take them after that.

I think I agree with all of those points.

If The Time of the Doctor is any indication, then Seasons 5-7 have really been one arc, what with every step (the repeated attempts to kill the Doctor, for instance) being part of the same plan in the end. That may not have been planned from the beginning, but it seems like at the very least, that particular trope should end now that Trenzalore is behind us. It'll be interesting to see what happens with Doctor Twelve.

I find that the people who have had a hard time following the plot the last couple of years have actually made the plot a thousand times more complicated in their own heads than Moffat did on the show. Like the people who were confused by The Wedding of River Song. To hear some people explain it was gibberish when all the plot of that episode boiled down to was something was supposed to happen, it didn't, so time got fucked up.

I'd bet that if people didn't know or care who Moffat was, a good number of the complaints would cease. Lots of the criticism leveled at DW in recent years has been based on assumptions (well-informed or not) about what Moffat's thoughts and intentions are. ("Moffat is sexist"; "Moffat is just trying to create memes"; "Moffat is too self-referential"; "Moffat thinks he's being clever"; "Moffat is a funny name when you think about it")

Good point, I would agree with that. Not to say that the complaints may not be valid, but it's almost as though some people are trying to outthink Moffat.

This little girl's summation of the episode makes me like it a bit more.