The Doctor Who thread

To be honest though I did find the inclusion of the Promised Land subplot to have made the overarching storyline a bit incessant and relentless. I thought of how Dan and Mike discussed Bad Wolf or Torchwood in BOTI and how those plot threads were constantly referenced with little subtlety, and I'm seeing similar things in this season thus far.

I agree but there's been some good more subtle stuff too. Mainly that Doctor doing equations, that's three episodes he's been at it so it has to tie in somehow I think.

Just had a thought about this:

is it possible that the equations have to do with The Day Of The Doctor? He did make an appearance there after all...

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

To be honest though I did find the inclusion of the Promised Land subplot to have made the overarching storyline a bit incessant and relentless. I thought of how Dan and Mike discussed Bad Wolf or Torchwood in BOTI and how those plot threads were constantly referenced with little subtlety, and I'm seeing similar things in this season thus far.

I agree but there's been some good more subtle stuff too. Mainly that Doctor doing equations, that's three episodes he's been at it so it has to tie in somehow I think.

Just had a thought about this:

is it possible that the equations have to do with The Day Of The Doctor? He did make an appearance there after all...

Hmmm that's an interesting idea.

1) If you didn't like the Daleks before Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks, then that 2-parter will have done nothing to make you warm to them - it really is a wretched story.

2) Human Nature/Family of Blood is the polar opposite as it's a great 2-parter with a wonderful cast and some great moments.

3) Yes, Martha is a very good companion, weighed down by certain writing baggage (which you're about to be hit over the head with, although to be fair, it did largely start to show in Human Nature/Family of Blood).

WGBH in Boston showed Are You Being Served every night at 7:30 for decades. They may still do, I don't know.

Keeping Up Appearances, AYBS, One Foot in the Grave, As Time Goes By... if it stars the middle aged or the elderly, PBS runs it till the tape breaks. I believe Lionheart sold the rights in package deals, so a PBS station showing one of these shows usually showed most or all of them. Occasionally a Blackadder or Red Dwarf or Father Ted would sneak through as well, but generally they kept it to easier to digest stuff.

Once BBC America became a thing, we got a better mix (I want to say Black Books made it to BBCA, but I couldn't say for sure). Before that, though, PBS was pretty much it, and you were limited by how adventurous the program manager was. On clear nights growing up I could get the New Hampshire PBS station, and as it was in a college town, it always had somewhat more interesting stuff (that was where I first found Blackadder, Red Dwarf, and The Young Ones), but WGBH at the time was one of the big flagship stations and their viewership (read: donors) tended to be older and more upscale, so they went with safer programs.