The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think I over anticipated this episode because of its title. I expected one thing and it fell short in my estimations. Which isn't the episodes fault. It had its moments and the Teller was a cool looking monster but it overall felt like a story I wont be revisiting much. What was with the leaning tower of pisa joke and the end that didn't even go with the natural flow of the episode?

I quite enjoyed it. The look of it was really reminiscent of the comic strips in Doctor Who magazine in the late 90s to early 00s written by Scott Gray and drawn by Lee Sullivan. The Teller was like a piece of Lee Sullivan artwork come to life and it was only emphasised by the brief shot of Absalom Daak as drawn by Sullivan showing up in the criminal database.

Not a stone cold classic, not every story is going to be, but for that reason it had a warm glow of familiarity for me as Scott and Sullivan had an amazing run.

I liked the episode but thought maybe they should have been a bit more conventional with the set up. One of the perks of a good heist film is to see the planning and the team coming together. I think they should have showed the Doctor recruiting people, coming up with the plan, trying the plan something goes 'wrong', and we see the twist the Doctor planned in.

But it wasn't too bad. Though was furrowing my eyebrows at the end,

Was the Doc trying to compete with Clara's 'Date'? I almost got a feeling that Twelve was trying to win Clara over almost. IDK maybe I read too much into it.

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the heist elements in this one either. The other members in the heist were too stock Doctor Who, not enough edge to them. I see a proper Doctor Who heist episode involving a Lytton-esque character, or even Doctor-lite and focusing on a gang.

And yes, I know why they're stock Doctor Who, they're still not very interesting.

I did really like Keeley Hawes, though. She carried the character well and had some good lines.

Probably it was because of my low expectations for this - Steve Thompson has not impressed me on Who so far - but I ended really enjoying this one. I didn't see the twists coming, at least not completely, and the whole thing walked the line between fun and dark very deftly. The bits with the squishy heads in particular were quite shocking I thought.

The only thing I didn't think really worked was the sequence of goodbye scenes - they just didn't seem to gel together with each other or the rest of the episode. Still, I've enjoyed the whole series so far, and i think there's lots of good things to come.

This is probably the least effective episode for me but I still enjoyed it. I thought the writing was a bit too cheesy for my tastes throughout. The Doctor and Clara just standing still and exclaiming their realizations comes off as awkward to me. It got better by the end though and Capaldi is growing more and more watchable as the Doctor. Not meaning that as a pejorative, I'm saying that I don't know what he's gonna do next.