The Doctor Who thread

Maybe this sounds harsh. But to me the choice of killing an unborn child, because if you dont there is the serious risk of a whole planet and every person on it dieing. Billions of people, the whole human race. There is no moral dilemma there at all. The unborn child has to die.

The moral dilemma was Clara's (and to lesser degree Courtney).

The human race turned off their lights to signal its execution. Clara has a greater appreciation for other life but acknowledges the potential risk to human life too. The Doctor then sprang out and said "Yup, you're all essentially horrible".

Granted I've not watched it back to get a better understanding of how much the Doctor knew about what creature it was and therefore what would happen next, but it was down to Clara to definitely save the human race or defend the life of another and you felt for her in choosing to kill it or not. In that way the moral dilemma element wasn't for us. Humanity was always going to kill it to save itself. Bad feels...

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Maybe this sounds harsh. But to me the choice of killing an unborn child, because if you dont there is the serious risk of a whole planet and every person on it dieing. Billions of people, the whole human race. There is no moral dilemma there at all. The unborn child has to die.

See now, I think you've actually hit on the point. You say the decision is clear in one direction, and others would say it's the complete opposite. I'm kind of in the middle, leaning towards the opposite. So clearly there is a debatable dilemma, which is why the story works so well.

I liked this one a lot.

Kind of liked that he didn't get to the bottom of everything. Managed to stop the imeadiate threat but didnt save everyone ad there is still a mystery out there to solve. Loved how mellow Frank Skinner was and for a moment actually thought he was going to travell with them as the Tardis engineer. Is it me or was his comment how that job could change a man was a sly reflection on the Doctor himself and the fame and attention that comes to the actor playing him?

^Could be. I didn't know who Frank Skinner was, but I definitely thought

it was a comment on how douchey the Doctor was being in the face of all that death. It's too bad though. When the idea was brought up and then rejected I was thinking how I'd love for that guy to be a companion. It didn't dawn on me until that moment."

I really enjoyed this. I've liked this the most since "Listen". It was really fun, engaging, and the character dynamics of the Doctor and the supporting cast complimented the mystery really well. If this isn't my favorite of the season so far, it's top 2.

Watched this with Dan and Wendee last night. I really liked this for the most part. There are some weird moments that feel like they were written for Matt rather than for Capaldi, though. (Also, GLADoS much? :P)

I still need to catch up on the eps since Listen, though, I've been away/haven't had the time.

I'll need to watch this a couple more times, but I enjoyed the hell out of this. I swear, every time Capaldi opened his mouth, early Tom Baker fell out.

I loled at the Jelly Babies.

That was the greatest.

My favorite of the season so far.

Also a nice reference to Ark in Space with the bubble wrap.

Having missed out on Who for a bit finally got caught up.

Caretaker was fun for the interactions between Clara, the Doctor, and Danny. It's always fun to put the Doctor out of his element a bit so having him at Clara's school worked for me.

Kill the Moon was pretty good with most of my love coming from the final scene. I'm glad Jenna Coleman has gotten to stretch her acting legs this season and is now a well rounded Companion (to me at least).

Mummy on the Orient Express, pretty good as well. I'd say I didn't like it as much as Kill the Moon but had some classic Doctor moments. Clara and the Doctor trying to fix things was nice and I'm intrigued by the ending with Clara's final decision.

So far Series 8 has been very good IMHO. I really like the dynamic the Doctor and Clara have going, along with how they've handled Danny. One thing that I'm little disappointed by is a lack of explanation about the Promise Land. It feels like the whole Mr. Saxon thing again. They keep dropping it but not really explaining things. Series 5 did the crack thing well showing it early on but then gradually giving us more about it. Here it just feels like we keep referencing it and nothing has been explained. Still there's five(?) episodes left so time to start filling in some.

I liked this weeks episode. The only thing that i didn't like was Clara answering her phone while her life was under threat from the bad guys. It was a character acting in a way nobody in the world would act, just for the sake of a bit of silly comedy. Take about killing the tension. It was also the wrong moment to have a scene of her talking to anyone on the phone. Put that scene in a more quiet moment in the story

This season has been consistently entertaining. If I've not really enjoyed an episode, I still don't regret seeing it and was engaged the whole way through. I do feel that this is a season like the first one where the companion feels like she's the main character over the Doctor, but in this instance I'm rolling with it better.

I dug this one. Clara getting to be Doctor basically, very cool.

I LOVED the Boneless when they turned 3D. I think those were really good looking monsters myself. I think that putting Clara in the shoes of the Doctor was a great idea. We haven't really seen that in a while and it was quite entertaining.

Still confused by the Promised Land stuff. I initially thought it was Galifery but now not too sure. What does Missy mean when she 'claimed' Clara or Clara is 'her girl?' Is that literal like she ensured Clara would be born to become the Impossible Girl?