• 1 month later...
  • Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah this is the nicest Doctor in a while, compared to Capaldi and Matt Smith with his grumpy/bossy moments. She arrived onto the scene with a big smile.

The plot was just so-so, but I loved all of the human, dramatic moments. It evoked the best of the RTD era for me, and kept that Broadchurch quality (maybe with the sweeping vistas of scenery). Whitaker's Doctor almost entirely goofy and had very few serious moments, but when they came I enjoyed them. I LOVED that shot of her watching over Ryan trying to ride his bike near the end. Thought that was epic.

Also the cliffhanger. HOLY CRAP

I definitely liked this premiere, though I still want to see more dimension to The 13th Doctor.

This is the first time since the return of the show that Doctor Who actively feels like it's entered a new era. The classic show changed damn near all the time, thanks to new writers and producers coming in. Hell, Tom Baker went through at least three major stylistic changes during his tenure. But modern Who had really started to feel samey; from the music to the effects to the shot composition, we basically had 10 seasons that, despite cast changes, felt like one person had overseen the whole thing. And really, RTD and Moffat weren't that different in their take on the show and character. But with Jodie Whittaker, Chris Chibnall, and Segun Akinola coming onboard, holy shit does this feel like Doctor Who stepped up its game and changed everything. The cinematography in "The Ghost Monument" is some of the best Doctor Who has ever had, the writing has been tight so far, and the incidental music is epic in scope. If I wasn't already a fan of Doctor Who, this season would have drawn me it.

Graham is quickly becoming one of my favorite companions. Bradley Walsh brings such humanity to every scene. He's so damn powerful. The moment he realized he had to use his white privilege on the bus me cry.

EDIT: And it just dawned on me that because Graham is standing, it looks like he can't find a seat. While the show doesn't point this out (and it does show two more white passengers boarding) it could be read that his simple action of standing is partially what triggered the bus driver to demand Rosa Parks move to the back.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Donomark said:

Yeah, this has been making the rounds for a week or so now. We have yet to hear anything from either Chibnall or Whittaker, and "professional TV producer wakes up one day to discover the Beeb can be hard to work with" is an interesting take, but neither does this sound totally out of left field.

I'm not panicking yet.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting to this a little late, but RIP Terrance Dicks, who was a mainstay writer for the classic series, pretty much got the Target line up and running and was a huge contributor, and was head writer and one of the main architects of the series for the entire Pertwee era.