• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, The Master said:

Ah, so the usual crying of angry men.

I keep hearing that this retcon slotted Peter Cushing's "Dr. Who" into canon. Did it? What did I miss?

I've not heard anything about Cushing, but

the pre-Hartnell incarnations from

Brain of Morbius are canon now.

If this is true, there's gonna be a L000T of 'splainin' to do on Chibnall's part. Pretty much the entire Moffat era did everything it could to get away from what might've been presumed as a Cartmel's type of origin.

Spoiler

What about Clara saying she saw all of The Doctor's regens, falling onto Matt Smith as the 11th?

How come the timelords granted the Doctor a new regen cycle if she's already immortal?

Hopefully we'll see more of Doctor Ruth in the future, and finally get an explanation about her placement in the regeneration cycle. Because her TARDIS is a police box, she cannot predate Hartnell. Best guess, she slots between Troughton and Pertwee, potentially making Season 6B canon.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We did not deserve Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor.

Over the last two nights I have watched Rose and The End of the World on HBO Max, and he brings so much life and energy, sorrow and dignity to the character. He's right up there with Tom Baker.

Something I don't think I've ever realized about The End of the World is that The Doctor brought Rose to that moment in time for a reason. He subconsciously wanted Rose to witness the destruction of her planet so they would have that shared pain. He was trying to bond with her. And that's not me retconning this. It's in the episode. At the very end of The End of the World, The Doctor reveals Gallifrey also burnt. Recently, at that. It's all right there, yet I've never seen it. Beautiful stuff.

I've been thinking about Rose's timeline with The Doctor:

Rose
This episode takes place over roughly 36 hours: 7:30 AM to dusk the next evening. Rose has spent maybe five of those hours with The Doctor.

The End of the World
Following directly on from the previous episode, this one pretty much takes place in real-time. So we'll add another 45 minutes to the clock.

The Unquiet Dead
This too follows on the back of the last one. From the poster for Charles Dickens' Christmas Eve performance, we know it began at 7:30 PM. Rose and The Doctor landed before then. Say, an hour beforehand. This would give Rose enough time to change into her period-appropriate outfit, and the duo time to walk around before happening upon the so-called ghosts. They leave after midnight, as we know it's now Christmas Day. So add another six hours.

We'll pause here. In total, Rose has known The Doctor for 12 hours, tops.

Aliens of London / World War Three
Though never explicitly said, my belief is that this two-parter follows directly on from The Unquiet Dead. So we're continuing this uninterrupted jaunt with Rose and The Doctor.

This one starts in the (possibly late) morning, spans an entire day, and ends in the evening. So we'll say 36 hours.

This brings their time together at an estimated 48 hours, or two full days.

That's just nuts to think about. In the first five episodes of modern Doctor Who, Rose and The Doctor have only been together for 48 hours. And if I recall, they continue this trend with Martha; Smith and Jones, The Shakespeare Code, and Gridlock are all one long adventure for the duo.

With a lot of perspective, I think I finally figured out why Aliens of London and World War Three are so troubling to me.

If you can look past the "Tee-hee! I pooted!" aspect of the episodes, there's a solid story in place. Aliens have infiltrated the UK government with the intent of causing World War III just so they can sell off the radioactive slag to bidders. That's terrifying. The complete disregard for all life on Earth makes the aliens some of the coldest bastards we've ever meet in Doctor Who. And in a lot of ways, I could see this being a Jon Pertwee story. Maybe even in the same season as The Claws of Axos.

Add in the fact that The Doctor, Rose, and Harriet Jones are trapped, and the only tools The Doctor has at his disposal are his wits, his words, and a reluctant alliance with Mickey, and you have the makings of a thrilling political episode.

So why does it bother me?

Yes, the farting. But it's not exclusively the farting. It's that all of the aliens in human form are heavyset people. This two-parter continues the bullshit joke that larger people are always flatulent. Even though the episode explains the "gas exchange" between the aliens and their human skins, it's just there to justify the hurtful idea that only heavy people fart, and do so constantly. Nearly uncontrollably. And we're asked -- no, told -- to laugh at this. It's not funny. And for a show aimed at a younger audience, it's harmful.

Two thoughts about The Long Game:

Damn this thing looks cheap. Like, some shoddy classic episodes look better.

The Nurse (Tamsin Greig) is Missy. (Oh no, A Wonky Mike Head Canon!) I'm serious. At every turn, Adam second guesses his decision to get the brain surgery, and every time he does so The Nurse pushes him into it. She even plays a little sexy / naughty nurse with him. And plays on his desire to interface with the computer terminals. It's as if she knows what he's up to. There just a real Missy vibe about it all. I kinda like to think she was messing with Adam hoping he'd pull off his little scheme to enrich himself via future knowledge, maybe so she could guide him in the past / take control as the PM in the third season?

Father's Day: Everybody, save for Peter, is objectively awful in this one. Rose selfishly rewrites her own history and plays it off like it's nothing; The Doctor is an absolute ass about everything, going so far as calling rose a "stupid ape"; Jackie downright hates her husband, but it might be justified; even the groom's father is telling his son to ditch the bride at the alter. It has some solid elements, but overall this one did not hold up for me.

1 minute ago, The Master said:

Father's Day: Everybody, save for Peter, is objectively awful in this one. Rose selfishly rewrites her own history and plays it off like it's nothing; The Doctor is an absolute ass about everything, going so far as calling rose a "stupid ape"; Jackie downright hates her husband, but it might be justified; even the groom's father is telling his son to ditch the bride at the alter. It has some solid elements, but overall this one did not hold up for me.

Wow

On 8/4/2020 at 10:20 AM, The Master said:

The Nurse (Tamsin Greig) is Missy. (Oh no, A Wonky Mike Head Canon!) I'm serious. At every turn, Adam second guesses his decision to get the brain surgery, and every time he does so The Nurse pushes him into it. She even plays a little sexy / naughty nurse with him. And plays on his desire to interface with the computer terminals. It's as if she knows what he's up to. There just a real Missy vibe about it all. I kinda like to think she was messing with Adam hoping he'd pull off his little scheme to enrich himself via future knowledge, maybe so she could guide him in the past / take control as the PM in the third season?

Good one!

Any new thoughts about Dalek?

• 3 months later...