The Doctor Who thread

Amy Pond- excellent surprise face and nice hotpants. Me like.

Grey Dalek with military pouches, white Dalek (imperial), could be interesting.

Weeping angels return, and given the reference to them in the finale that could be very interesting, especially if they are the ones the military are fighting. Sort of a Aliens to the blink's Alien.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I cried during the regeneration. I mean, I utterly lost it! But then, the second Matt Smith popped in, a giant smile exploded across my face because it mean new episodes, a new companion, a new direction, and a new freaking Doctor!

And oh man, this second part more than made up for the missteps of the first!

I really loved it. Quite possibly my favorite season ender so far.

I actually liked the ending, it was a good introspective for Ten before everything went egg-shaped. Who the "he" was that knocked four times really was something that I didn't see. I liked some of the continuity links as well. Timothy Dalton's character being Rassilon was I am, however, wishing we had learned the identities of the two Time Lords who had voted against bring Gallifrey back. I'd like to believe that it was Susan and Romana but there's no evidence one way or the other. Overall, an enjoyable good-bye to Ten and, of the couple of seconds of Eleven that we saw, I kinda enjoy him so far as long as, like Suave said, he doesn't try to imitate Tennant too much.

I think, looking back at it, my only disappointment was that Donna was largely absent from the story. I was hoping that Donna would at least get her memories back. Instead we had a "Did I miss something again?" line that felt straight out of an eighties sitcom. I know Wilf was the companion for the episode but it would have been nice if Donna had gotten something to do other than lie in an alley overnight.

I was watching a crappy MP4 that was way too high quality for my computer to keep up with, so I'll definitely have to re-view it again at some point.

Overall, I loved it. Went a little too heavy at times and lingered a bit much for my liking, but it was enjoyable.

Some random notes.

- "I don't want to go" didn't effect me, actually. I lost it much earlier when Wilf was begging for him to take the gun.

- Timothy Dalton ruled.

- I lost it in a completely different way when The Master told The Doctor to get out of the way. I fear this is the end of John Simm, though. :(

- I'm really glad he didn't just dimension hop to the present day Rose. I don't know if I could've handled seeing an update on her and her Doctor fuck-toy.

- Hopefully Moffat has less of an aversion to old Doctors returning and we can get some cool cameos at some point in Eleven's tenure.

Regarding The Master...

... I hope the next time we see him, Simm or not, he's more of an antihero. Based on his initial reaction to when The Doctor praised him and then his saving of the world, I have to think he'll walk in shades of grey for a while.

As for returning Doctors, keep in mind Steven Moffat wrote "Time Crash," the Doctor Five / Doctor Ten crossover. So, actors willing, I bet we'll see at least one more Doctor popping up. It might be obvious to say, but I want Paul McGann. And considering we never saw more than one story, they don't have to use "wibbly wobbly, timey wimey" to explain away his age.

OHHHH! The woman, I know who it is! The clue was right there, right in all our faces!

Previously I noted that Julie Gardner said the woman was The Doctor's mother, but I've come to learn she said it jokingly. So then, let's examine the scene when Wilf asked The Doctor who she was. What did The Doctor do? He looked over Wilf's shoulder, focused on Donna, then never answered the question. Why? Why look at Donna right then? Because Donna is Wilfred's granddaughter, just like the woman was The Doctor's. It was Susan!

To paraphrase The Doctor: I'm Mister Thick Thickity Thick Face from Thicktown Thickannia for not getting it earlier.

I really enjoyed part II - it more than made up for the poor setup of part I. Thoughts:

- I loved The Doctor/Master dynamic here. SO much better than Part I's.

- The cacti aliens annoyed me.

- I need the Donna "death" explaining to me again.

- Surely the Doctor survived a fall that was a great deal higher than the one that killed #4?

- How many times do I need to tell you people that Timothy Dalton is God?

- I don't think it's the end of John Simm's Master, if only because I didn't see him die.

- The revelation of Wilf causing The Doctor's death was a pretty awesome swerve and the reaction took me back to Waters on Mars (which is good).

- I'm guessing that something must have happened to Tom & Martha's relationship as she was engaged halfway through Season 4 and Mickey only returned to the right dimension at the season finale. I thought the fan service was a bit long, but it wasn't as grating as it was in Journey's End.

- I didn't tear up at the regeneration (stiff upper lip, what what), I was more impressed with the (nuclear?) fire that's going to cause the TARDIS redesign.

- I'm looking forward to Doctor 11 quite a bit, although I've yet to watch the trailer for the new season.

Donna's "death" was caused by a Human-Time Lord Meta-Crisis. She had a Time Lord mind in a human brain and it was too much information for her. It was going to burn her brain from the inside. The Doctor used his telepathy to bury all her memories of his travels with him. However, it's not well buried so even the slightest nudge and boom. Technically, she should have died during Children of Earth with all the weird goings on there.

Donna's "death" was caused by a Human-Time Lord Meta-Crisis. She had a Time Lord mind in a human brain and it was too much information for her. It was going to burn her brain from the inside. The Doctor used his telepathy to bury all her memories of his travels with him. However, it's not well buried so even the slightest nudge and boom. Technically, she should have died during Children of Earth with all the weird goings on there.

I understand the first 4 sentences, I just didn't understand how she survived or whether the energy blast killed the people around her.

I think, looking back at it, my only disappointment was that Donna was largely absent from the story. I was hoping that Donna would at least get her memories back. Instead we had a "Did I miss something again?" line that felt straight out of an eighties sitcom. I know Wilf was the companion for the episode but it would have been nice if Donna had gotten something to do other than lie in an alley overnight.

But it tied back into her first appearances:

Donna missed everything "Where were you during the Cybermen attack!? In spain. They were their too! Scuba diving?"

Donna missing it was great, although the ending with Tennant really too fucking long.

I understand the first 4 sentences, I just didn't understand how she survived or whether the energy blast killed the people around her.

Something to do with a defense mechanism being put in place. It was a throwaway line and they sort of wrote themselves into a corner, so they ignored it for the most part.

DISLAIMER: I did not include spoiler tags because TEoT has fully debuted in the States and if you are still waiting to see it and not wanting any spoilers, you probably shouldn't be anywhere near anything WHO-related.

What a powerful regeneration (no pun intended)! This is the first time we've really seen the Doctor treat his change like a death. "I don't wanna go." just makes you start tearing up, and then just the powerful drama of his regeneration blowing the TARDIS apart. Then right before that first tear leaves your eye Matt Smith appears. With Nine's regeneration into Ten I was a bit puzzled just how he was going to work out. But Matt Smith instantly captivated my attention. The only thing that I found cringe worthy was the line "And still not ginga!". It felt like a bad attempt to emulate Ten. I did enjoy "Nose... uh.. I've had worse.". As the nose seems to be where the Doctor keeps most of his vanity. Now, I've seen very little who from the starting era (bits and pieces, but the only full story from 1963 - 1969 that I've seen is "The Seeds of Death") but I got a very 1st/2nd Doctor vibe from him. The trailer for the next series looks fantastic, and I got a very McCoy era feel out of it.

Doctor Who Magazine confirms the writer's for this season. Steven Moffat is writing six episodes, Chris Chibnall (Wrote "42" and a fair amount of Torchwood episodes) is writing a two-parter, and Mark Gatiss ("The Unquiet Dead" and "The Idiot's Lantern"), Toby Whithouse ("School Reunion" and "Greeks Bearing Gifts" from Torchwood), Richard Curtis (wrote Four Weddings and a Funeral and every episode of Blackadder), Gareth Roberts ("The Shakespeare Code" and "The Unicorn and The Wasp") and Simon Nye (Writer on Men Behaving Badly) are each writing one episode.