The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just watched Revenge of the Cybermen, which means that I only need to watch Robot and I'll have got the entire first season of the 4th doctor out of the way. Adventure itself was just average though, which was a shame.

Also watched The Time Warrior over the weekend for Sarah Janes introduction, and I'm probably going to watch 5th Doctor story Kinda soon since the reviews have been good.

Anyone know if Underworld is a good story to check out? I've heard everything from it being one of the best ever to it being trashed. The iTunes range of stories isn't massive, but I'd still like to know which ones I shouldn't miss out on.

I warrant a tilde bang now? Nice.

Erm, yes. Hello! I do lurk around here quite a bit, but I'm hyper-aware of being an overly-shilling bastard, so I try not to be....while also occasionally trying to be. It's all very confusing.

Although at least I'm not actively upsetting anybody by posting, like I am over at the Oratory, where I've had PM's over the fact that I've occasionally posted in OWA threads, and yet I'm not bringing back Legion. The bastard that I am.

Back on Doctor Who topic, I'll drop some links to the WhoCasts we've been doing. They're rather fun, and we even did some research.

And I don't tilde bang just anyone.

I had one of the most universally hated characters in oWa and even I've been asked to come back. Place is a mess from the sound of things.

Don't be a stranger, man.

If Doctor Who was made by, and starred, Americans

(by Mr Mockery from the forums/my sig!)

Also worth reminding people that, on the same site, if you check out the Eclectic Podcast, we've been doing each alternate podcast as a special, looking at each of the Doctors. Next up is our look at Colin Baker.

And you are......?

This is up for pre-order at DCBS:

DOCTOR WHO LOST TV EPISODES AUDIO CD COLL 01 1964 - 1965 (C:

Dozens of Doctor Who television episodes are lost as visual film recordings, but they survive as audio soundtracks, digitally remastered with additional linking narration by members of the original cast. This handsome box set includes five adventures which are either wholly or partially lost from the TV archives - Marco Polo, The Reign of Terror, The Crusade, Galaxy 4, and The Myth Makers, all starring William Hartnell as the original Doctor. The set is presented in jewel cases with full liner notes, and packaged in a handsome slipcase.

Product Code: AUG101297

Your Price: $93.71

Regular Price: $124.95

Discount: 25%

I've seen a few episodes up to the Pterodactyl fighting the Cyber-lady, so I'm not sure this show can do much to surprise me in the daftness area. Still, having a Teen Titan's Cinderblock deal in live action should be funny.

edit- OK, the biggest issue with Cyberwoman isn't the writing or the plot, its the outfit. Whoever supervised the props and costumes for this didn't have a fucking clue what they were doing. Its basically a Frankenstein story but they've tried to make the semi-converted state somehow sexy, which is completely contrary to the nature of the Cybermen, and especially impossible on this budget. Its not even like the Borg Queen or something, because she was clearly specially designed, this one was just going to be a standard cyberman and at some point they decided that the mid-point of the conversion was going to include metal straps, tiny metal underpants and no hint of serious physical disfigurement. It just totally eliminates the horror element that the episode was so clearly banking on, the human/monster relationship.

Torchwood isn't too bad so far, but John Barrowman is a terrible dramatic actor. And that's not bad in a David Boreanaz limited range but good at playing certain characters way, Barrowman is bad as Captain Jack. I just don't think the character had the sort of legs to justify his own show. Captain Jack is good in small doses but he's no lead character.

Torchwood's pretty good in season two so far. Darker overall vibe, the sex is toned down, good sense of impending doom, its enjoyable all around.

That's the general consensus. While I like Season 1 of Torchwood, there were too many terrible character moments that are glossed over. I look at Torchwood like a very intense relationship. At first (Season 1) it's all about the sex. You just constantly need it and sometimes, you don't care about quality. Then, you realize you need to slow down (Season 2), know that the sex is not what you want but each other. You take things slowly, get to know each other. There's a hiccup or two but eventually you come to the catharsis that you love each other and leave your past behind ("Exit Wounds"). However (Children of Earth), sometimes it lasts, other times it doesn't and you do stupid things if it doesn't. You run from your problems. If we follow this thinking, then Season 4 will go as follows: Realizing your mistakes, you go back. You face them head on or you dive into a new project and try to ignore it even if there's a constant reminder of what you lost.

That's the general consensus. While I like Season 1 of Torchwood, there were too many terrible character moments that are glossed over. I look at Torchwood like a very intense relationship. At first (Season 1) it's all about the sex. You just constantly need it and sometimes, you don't care about quality. Then, you realize you need to slow down (Season 2), know that the sex is not what you want but each other. You take things slowly, get to know each other. There's a hiccup or two but eventually you come to the catharsis that you love each other and leave your past behind ("Exit Wounds"). However (Children of Earth), sometimes it lasts, other times it doesn't and you do stupid things if it doesn't. You run from your problems. If we follow this thinking, then Season 4 will go as follows: Realizing your mistakes, you go back. You face them head on or you dive into a new project and try to ignore it even if there's a constant reminder of what you lost.

That's amazingly spot on, and you're getting Post of the Day for that! :bowdown:

Torchwood episode Adrift is exactly the sort of thing I wish sci-fi would do more often. Cracking episode all around, zero action, just the practicalities of living in this sort of world and the consequences. Good stuff.

I'm getting a little fed up with the omnisexuality of every single character though. Firstly, it makes Jack less unique that every single member of the Torchwood Institute will do anything with anyone. Secondly, a world where everyone is anyone's is as unrealistic as a world where everyone is straight. Can't some sort of reasonable proportionality come into play at some point? It just feels cheap to play this stuff for shock value.

On the subject of bisexuality, outside of the occasional episode is season 1, Jack is the only one who's sexuality really shifts. Gwen kisses the lust alien in Season 1, Tosh has the episode with the chick alien but she's mostly straight after that, and Owen is also pretty one time. The Ianto thing is dealt with in Children of Earth and he's part of a power couple so I ignore it.

On the subject of bisexuality, outside of the occasional episode is season 1, Jack is the only one who's sexuality really shifts. Gwen kisses the lust alien in Season 1, Tosh has the episode with the chick alien but she's mostly straight after that, and Owen is also pretty one time. The Ianto thing is dealt with in Children of Earth and he's part of a power couple so I ignore it.

Ok, but then they go back into the past and the women who recruited Jack were also bisexual/lesbian. Plus I would point out that you've listed every regular character on the show having some sort of dalliance at some point. Again, I've no problem with gay characters, I just think its agenda-pushing to have it be a factor for so many major characters so often. Plus its cheap to use the positive promotion of gay characters for shock value, as they often are here.