The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ah...but you're forgetting that Trial of a Time Lord is the greatest single season of Doctor Who... :cool:

I rather like certain sections of Trial of a Time Lord :D I can't wait to hear discussion of Pip and Jane's bizarre dialogue :-)

I'll save you the suspense: Pip and Jane are, without a doubt, the worst writers ever to darken the door of this show. Ever. I hate, hate, hate Pip and Jane. Hate them.

ah...but you're forgetting that Trial of a Time Lord is the greatest single season of Doctor Who... :cool:

I rather like certain sections of Trial of a Time Lord :D I can't wait to hear discussion of Pip and Jane's bizarre dialogue :-)

I'll save you the suspense: Pip and Jane are, without a doubt, the worst writers ever to darken the door of this show. Ever. I hate, hate, hate Pip and Jane. Hate them.

LOL...I quite agree, their dialogue is AWFUL (perhaps their most baffling line is "There's nothing you can do to prevent the catharsis of spurious morality!", but I also always laugh at "Whoever's been dumped in there has been pulverised into fragments and sent floating into space, and in my book, that's murder."), but i do have a fondness for their stories. They didn't write the worst story in Trial of a Time Lord.

Bill Pullman (Ruthless People, Independence Day) has signed on to star in the upcoming fourth season of Torchwood as a regular. Pullman — who joins series stars John Barrowman, Eva Myles and the just-cast Mekhi Phifer — will play Oswald Jones, a dangerously clever convicted murderer who escapes his lifelong prison sentence on a technicality and quickly becomes a media sensation. Genuinely repentant yet boiling with lust and rage, Oswald gets caught up in a terrifying worldwide crisis. Torchwood's fourth season will air stateside on Starz in a co-production deal with the BBC. Pullman's only major previous primetime gig was on NBC's 2005 limited series Revelations.

Source

Mad Norwegian Press has just released a book that's not totally dissimilar to BOTI:

Running Through Corridors: Rob and Toby’s Marathon Watch of Doctor Who (Vol. 1: The 60s)

In Running Through Corridors, two Doctor Who lovers of old – Robert Shearman and Toby Hadoke – embark on an epic quest of friendship: spend the “gap year” of 2009 (when Doctor Who consisted of a handful of specials rather than a full season) re-watching the whole of Who two episodes a day, every day, from the show’s start in 1963 and ending with David Tennant’s swan song on New Year’s, 2010.

This three-volume series contains Shearman and Hadoke’s diary of that experience – a grand opus of their wry observations about the show, their desire to see the good in every story, and their chronicle of the real-life changes to Who in that year.

With this book, Who fans will feel that they’re watching along with Shearman (World Fantasy Award winner, Hugo Award nominee and writer on the new Doctor Who) and Hadoke (renowned stage performer for his one-man comedy show, “Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf”) as they make their “grand journey” through the world’s most wonderful and longest-running drama series.

I like the other Who books that this publisher has put out so I might take a look at it.

Agreed. The About Time series is fucking phenomenal. On top of which, Shearman ("Dalek") and Hadoke are both really well-spoken, funny, knowledgeable fans and I'm sure whatever they've put together is worth reading.

This was in my mailbox tonight. Just started it, but so far it's a lot of fun.

Exclusive: Edgar Wright 'keen to work on Doctor Who'

Wednesday, December 15 2010, 15:59 GMT

By Morgan Jeffery, TV Reporter and Tom Mansell, Multimedia Producer

Edgar Wright has admitted that he would be keen to work on an episode of Doctor Who.

The Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World director told DS that he had been a fan of the BBC sci-fi drama when he was a child.

"I was a huge Doctor Who nerd as a kid, to the point where I dressed up as Peter Davison's Doctor," he admitted. "The last time I saw Steven [Moffat], he said 'Any time you want to do a Doctor Who, just shout'."

Wright added that he had previously been approached to direct an episode of the show in 2005.

"I got offered to direct one of them when Russell T Davies was doing it, during the Christopher Eccleston series, and I wasn't really available to do it," he explained.

Sauce