The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

David Tennant will be doing another Shakespeare play, his time he's going to be Benedict in Much Ado About Nothing. But the really big news is that Catherine Tate will be Beatrice! Starts in May in London. Here's the story

I found out yesterday and attempted to get some tickets. I say attempted because the booking website was down and the phone line was permanently engaged. I suspect that every DW/David Tennant fan was also trying the same thing. :doh:

I found out yesterday and attempted to get some tickets. I say attempted because the booking website was down and the phone line was permanently engaged. I suspect that every DW/David Tennant fan was also trying the same thing. :doh:

Not to second guess him, but I reckon Dubs isn't that bothered about securing a ticket...

It sounds good as Tate is a much better actress than she is a comedian and whilst Beatrice & Benedict are amusing characters, I don't see either Tate or Tennant rehashing their Dr Who roles, which is a good thing.

I'm kinda hoping this one gets filmed also. I love Much Ado About Nothing.

Much Ado is most definitely my favourite of Will's plays. I think I've seen it three or four times on stage, and have watched the Emma Thompson/Kenneth Branagh movie several times. I don't expect either Tennant or Tate to do anything resembling their DW characters, but it doesn't hurt that they were both in the show. I think they have the spark together that B&B need to make it work. And it will interesting to see Tate act in something that isn't comedy or DW.

That, or he's making up for living in sin by making an honest woman of her! I have this great image of a shotgun wedding with Peter Davison pointing a gun at Tennant's back to ensure he doesn't back out. If he does, Georgia Moffett ends up marrying Matt Smith instead!

• 2 weeks later...

Mad Norwegian Press has just released a book that's not totally dissimilar to BOTI:

Running Through Corridors: Rob and Toby’s Marathon Watch of Doctor Who (Vol. 1: The 60s)

In Running Through Corridors, two Doctor Who lovers of old – Robert Shearman and Toby Hadoke – embark on an epic quest of friendship: spend the “gap year” of 2009 (when Doctor Who consisted of a handful of specials rather than a full season) re-watching the whole of Who two episodes a day, every day, from the show’s start in 1963 and ending with David Tennant’s swan song on New Year’s, 2010.

This three-volume series contains Shearman and Hadoke’s diary of that experience – a grand opus of their wry observations about the show, their desire to see the good in every story, and their chronicle of the real-life changes to Who in that year.

With this book, Who fans will feel that they’re watching along with Shearman (World Fantasy Award winner, Hugo Award nominee and writer on the new Doctor Who) and Hadoke (renowned stage performer for his one-man comedy show, “Moths Ate My Doctor Who Scarf”) as they make their “grand journey” through the world’s most wonderful and longest-running drama series.

I like the other Who books that this publisher has put out so I might take a look at it.

Agreed. The About Time series is fucking phenomenal. On top of which, Shearman ("Dalek") and Hadoke are both really well-spoken, funny, knowledgeable fans and I'm sure whatever they've put together is worth reading.

This was in my mailbox tonight. Just started it, but so far it's a lot of fun.

Finished this. I liked it a lot. I think the fact that I've seen every episode they covered probably helped my enjoyment, though. And they made the attempt to be upbeat and positive about every single episode wherever possible, which was nice, even if the fact that Shearman was able to really praise The Underwater Menace ("Nussink in ze vorld can stop me now!") and even The Space Pirates to the heavens made me wonder if there was something wrong with me in that I was so completely unable to get any enjoyment out of them.