The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What the fuuuuuuckkkk??? I can't believe they actually went through with it.

This is for "A Good Man Goes to War":

I mean, EVERYONE and their gotdamn Mom theorized who River was, and I can't believe it's actually true. Omg.

So assuming, Rory and Amy leave the Tardis crew, we might actually see a future version of them as an old married couple. But time can be rewritten. Is it possible that River could also cease to exist? Or has too much happened in the Doctor's personal timeline for that. Ughhhh, so does that mean River is a Time Lord? ACTUALLY, this is kind of a brilliant way for the Doctor to keep seeing River since she could regenerate into different actresses. But how did the Silence get her? Or didn't they, she coulda just been in the same area as them? But what about that orphanage? Was this army made of Humans (mostly?) Why do they want to fight the Doctor? And is River in prison for killing the Doctor while she was the Astronaut? Was the River that we saw just putting on an act? BAH SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Also, I hope Canton Everett Deleware III becomes a companion by the end of season.

Also, FUCK THAT. Nurses can be warriors too!

I mean, EVERYONE and their gotdamn Mom theorized who River was, and I can't believe it's actually true. Omg.

So assuming, Rory and Amy leave the Tardis crew, we might actually see a future version of them as an old married couple. But time can be rewritten. Is it possible that River could also cease to exist? Or has too much happened in the Doctor's personal timeline for that. Ughhhh, so does that mean River is a Time Lord? ACTUALLY, this is kind of a brilliant way for the Doctor to keep seeing River since she could regenerate into different actresses. But how did the Silence get her? Or didn't they, she coulda just been in the same area as them? But what about that orphanage? Was this army made of Humans (mostly?) Why do they want to fight the Doctor? And is River in prison for killing the Doctor while she was the Astronaut? Was the River that we saw just putting on an act? BAH SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Also, I hope Canton Everett Deleware III becomes a companion by the end of season.

By virtue off being conceived in the Time Vortex River Song is a Human/Time Lord hybrid

By virtue off being conceived in the Time Vortex River Song is a Human/Time Lord hybrid

If River is

the little girl in the astronaut suit and she escaped that suit in day of the moon and started to regenerate. The only reason I can think of why she didn't regenerate in Forest of the Dead is because the River we know is on her last regeneration. Meaning she burns through her regenerations fast. Her first being when she was a little girl.

If River is

the little girl in the astronaut suit and she escaped that suit in day of the moon and started to regenerate. The only reason I can think of why she didn't regenerate in Forest of the Dead is because the River we know is on her last regeneration. Meaning she burns through her regenerations fast. Her first being when she was a little girl.

No they explain in the episode that the body would be so wiped out that regeneration wasn't possible. That's why River stopped the Doctor from doing it and sacrificed herself.

If River is

No they explain in the episode that the body would be so wiped out that regeneration wasn't possible. That's why River stopped the Doctor from doing it and sacrificed herself.

Good point. Totally forgot about that. Going to have to watch all the River episodes again now.

Am I crazy or was there a thing between madame Vastra and Jenny? Who were very cool and would love to see them in another episode. I was a bit confused at first why a Silurian was running around London 1888 though. Shame Strax had to die he had the best lines.

Good point. Totally forgot about that. Going to have to watch all the River episodes again now.

Am I crazy or was there a thing between madame Vastra and Jenny? Who were very cool and would love to see them in another episode. I was a bit confused at first why a Silurian was running around London 1888 though. Shame Strax had to die he had the best lines.

Oh it was more than a little implied. I think the only reason it wasn't outright stated would be because

lesbian love between a Silurian and a human woman might either be asking too much for the young audience to comprehend, or would severly piss off their parents who believe that it would be too much for their precious tots to deal with. The BBC hates getting letters.

I'm going to watch Confidential now.

Oh it was more than a little implied. I think the only reason it wasn't outright stated would be because

lesbian love between a Silurian and a human woman might either be asking too much for the young audience to comprehend, or would severly piss off their parents who believe that it would be too much for their precious tots to deal with. The BBC hates getting letters.

Yeah after watching it again I picked up on more of there dialogue. Would really like to see these two pop up again down the line.

Yeah after watching it again I picked up on more of there dialogue. Would really like to see these two pop up again down the line.

I thought that was pretty heavily implied myself. I really want to see more of those two!

Shame about the fat thin gay military couple. I would have loved to have seen more of those two.

I thought that was pretty heavily implied myself. I really want to see more of those two!

Shame about the fat thin gay military couple. I would have loved to have seen more of those two.

It was. But watching it with two young kids in the room you often miss out on some dialogue until you can watch it again on your own later.

The kiddie factor can make a difference there.

I was hoping those two were going to be like two guys in Wang Chiang and keep going.

That was... predictable.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but I wasn't blown away, probably because I've always found the "what did she do?" question a million times more intriguing than the "who is she?" one.

It's interesting to me finding out who she is, especially since it was a question asked long before a potential answer had actually been formulated. It's also cool because she's probably going to be a key player next season and hopefully we're going to get to see a bit more of how her and the Doctor bond now that they're both clued in to some extent.

I like that we know where this is going, frankly this didn't need a cliffhanger in order to be popular and whilst it sort of has one at least they've given us clues that are uplifting rather than miserable.

We know River's going to be ok, so even though the baby is gone what we have is an adventure ahead of us rather than a grim trial.

Some more specific thoughts

-I think all of the main cast were at the top of their games. Karen Gillan sold all of Amy's emotional moments, Arthur Darvill conveyed Rory as both a badass warrior and a loving husband and father, and Matt Smith ran the gamut of The Doctor's various emotions flawlessly.

-The Headless Monnks are another creepy monster from Moffat, even if they didn't do much.

-The concept of a Silurian/human couple fighting crime with samurai swords in Victorian London is great.

-I really liked Strax and the contrast of him with Rory.

-The way The Doctor took the base was perfectly Doctorish.

-I love the Colonel Run Away speech.

-When Amy mentioned the baby not liking the TARDIS, it twinged in my brain that Melody might be another flesh copy. And compared to other stories where a twist is repeated, I thought it worked here.

-I'm of two minds on Lorna. On one hand, I thought she was a red herring for River Song. On the other, she's a representation of how The Doctor affects peoples' lives and adds to The Doctor's losses in the episode.

-It looks like The Doctor will be looking back at his actions like I've been wanting.

-The River Song reveal was unsurprising, but not disappointing.

-Now the question is, who does River Song kill? It obviously could be The Doctor, with River killing him in "The Impossible Astronaut" (fulfilling her intended role as a weapon perhaps?). However, the light The Doctor is shown in in this episode makes it seem like the best man she ever knew is in fact Rory. I find it hard to see Moffat doing that though because a. Rory is such a great character, b. he's died so many times that his death wouldn't have the impact it should, and c. it would be a daughter killing her own father and I can't see The Doctor being with her in such an event.

-Now the question is, who does River Song kill? It obviously could be The Doctor, with River killing him in "The Impossible Astronaut" (fulfilling her intended role as a weapon perhaps?). However, the light The Doctor is shown in in this episode makes it seem like the best man she ever knew is in fact Rory. I find it hard to see Moffat doing that though because a. Rory is such a great character, b. he's died so many times that his death wouldn't have the impact it should, and c. it would be a daughter killing her own father and I can't see The Doctor being with her in such an event.

Rory would be my choice of who she kills. All the times he "died" was foreshadowing what happens to him later.

I just showed my 61 year old Dad "The Eleventh Hour". He has enjoyed all the Harry Potter films both with and without me, the newest Star Trek film as well as some NextGen, random movies and cartoon episodes from Star Wars cannon, (It's not sci-fi but) this guy even enjoyed Scott Pilgrim which I was sure he was "too old" for and the tons and tons of superhero movies I have introduced him to over the years so I figured he'd like the Doctor especially my doctor since I'm always talking about the Matt Smith era to him. Unfortunately he turned to me at one point and said "And you like this?". I told my mom he hated it and he defended himself saying that he did not say he hated it just that "it was fine but I wouldn't invest a dollar in it". It makes me kind of sad and confused that he didn't like it but I suppose it's not for everyone and who knows he may like other kinds of stories or other doctors if he gives the show another chance. Anybody else have backfiring experiences introducing the show (Classic or new) to new people? :P

-Skyler