The Doctor Who thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Series 7 (and Matt Smith) confirmed (there had been some rumours that they were having another gap year with only 4 specials, so it seems these are all in reply to that rumour) -

from the BBC1 Head of Commissioning -

#DoctorWho is returning. Fourteen new episodes have been commissioned with Matt Smith as The Doctor #bbc1

— Sam Hodges (@SamHodges)

June 7, 2011

#DoctorWho is returning. Fourteen new episodes have been commissioned with Matt Smith as The Doctor #bbc1

And from Steven Moffat -

http://twitter.com/steven_moffat/status/78139808827981824

14 eps + Matt DEFINITELY. I've got a plan and I'm NOT TELLING YOU WHAT IT IS. Now hush or River shoots you with her Spoiler Gun.#formaqueue

http://twitter.com/steven_moffat/status/78158618062618625

@Arch6000 13 plus Xmas is what I mean. Keeping it brief, that's all.

Excellent. That was the rumor, but it's nice to have it confirmed.

Doctor Who Magazine's twitter suggests that it's the 2011 Xmas special, plus next series that's been commissioned (that's usually the way they do it, filming the Xmas special as part of the following years series)

Now Matt Smith has a tough decision: Stay for Series 8 (Assuming they don't do a year of specials again) and ensure that fans forever remember him for being The Doctor during the 50th anniversary or leave only to probably be asked back for participation during the anniversary and be faced with coming back to the role too soon.

If they did a series of specials for the 50th year, I would love to see each one starring various living (and willing) Doctors. Davison's already been back and Eccleston won't return, so that leaves both Bakers, McCoy, McGann, and Tennant. Five Doctors spread out over five specials -- Christmas 2012, New Year's Day, Easter, mid-summer, and Thanksgiving -- could work. Best of all, Thanksgiving 2013 is only five days after the 50th anniversary. They should bring back old companions, too.

I doubt they'll do this, but a fanboy can dream.

If they did a series of specials for the 50th year, I would love to see each one starring various living (and willing) Doctors. Davison's already been back and Eccleston won't return, so that leaves both Bakers, McCoy, McGann, and Tennant. Five Doctors spread out over five specials -- Christmas 2012, New Year's Day, Easter, mid-summer, and Thanksgiving -- could work. Best of all, Thanksgiving 2013 is only five days after the 50th anniversary. They should bring back old companions, too.

I doubt they'll do this, but a fanboy can dream.

Last I heard Colin Baker was in an 'over my dead body' frame of mind over doing anything Doctor related for the BBC. I know he's doing the Big Finish stuff, but that's not Auntie Beeb.

Course, he might have softened a bit by now...

Do you hear that? That's the sound of a hundred thousand fanfic writers... um... finishing.

:P

I did pop into a couple of DW fic sites after Saturday. The River/Amy one is very very quiet and the one dedicated to general DW slash had a discussion thread, includng some writers who'd written Amy/River and who were feeling a little icky.

But since when has two characters having a direct family relationship ever stopped Slashfic writers for long...

Moffat responds to a query about the scheduling of Series 7. There's a lot of discussion about whether part of the reason for this years split series is to prepare for the show being on in the Autumn next year (especially given the Olympics in London are on in the first part of the year which will cause havoc with the BBC's schedules), but obviously it's all just wild speculation at this point. I'd be almost certain that there's no firm plans for when it will be shown at all yet.

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2011/06/08/doctor-who-series-seven-scheduling-steven-moffat-speaks/

“Okay, here it is – the best answer you can have. I don’t know. If I did know, I wouldn’t tell you. When I DO know, what I know will change, so I won’t really know then either. And then it will change again, so I still won’t really know. And if, secretly, I’d really known all along, I’d still be telling you I don’t know, because everything I said I knew, could be wrong, so I’d never really have known in the first place.

“Quantum security – I don’t know AND it’s a secret.

“I’m glad I’ve been able to clarify this for you.”

Aww...sad to hear that Roy Skelton has died...for British fans of a certain generation he's probably best known for voices he did for a legendary kids show called Rainbow (in a mere 993 episodes), but he had an association with Doctor who for 22 years during the classic series (from "The Ark" in 1966 up to "Remembrance of the Daleks" in 1988).

For me, he's the definitive voice of the Daleks, which he voiced in "Evil of the Daleks" and then in almost every Dalek story from "Planet of the Daleks" up to Remembrance, but he also did the original creepy Cybermen voices in their debut story.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0804031/filmoseries#tt0056751

You guys need to youtube Rainbow, like now. Skelton is responsible for Zippy & George, the greatest puppet double act since Statler & Waldorf. The show in question (Rainbow) is about a decade before my time, but the family Wilson had 2 episodes on video which we watched ad nauseam.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yhmiPOK2JA&feature=related

Big Finish is having a sale and it looks like it's only for one day.

Edit: Looks like they're doing a different sale each day.

June 6 – Doctor Who releases 1-10

The Sirens of Time, Phantasmagoria, Whispers of Terror, The Land of the Dead, The Fearmonger, The Marian Conspiracy, The Genocide Machine, Red Dawn, The Spectre of Lanyon Moor and Winter for the Adept

June 7 – Doctor Who releases 11-20

The Apocalypse Element, The Fires of Vulcan, The Shadow of the Scourge, The Holy Terror, The Mutant Phase, Storm Warning, The Sword of Orion, The Stones of Venice, Minuet in Hell and Loups-Garoux

June 8 – Doctor Who releases 21-30

Dust Breeding, Bloodtide, Project: Twilight, The Eye of the Scorpion, Colditz, Primeval, The One Doctor, Invaders from Mars, The Chimes of Midnight and Seasons of Fear

June 9 – Doctor Who releases 31-40

Embrace the Darkness, The Time of the Daleks, Neverland, Spare Parts, …Ish, The Rapture, The Sandman, The Church and the Crown, Bang-Bang-A-Boom! and Jubilee

June 10 – Doctor Who releases 41-50

Nekromanteia, The Dark Flame, The Pirates, Creatures of Beauty, Project: Lazarus, Flip-Flop, Omega, Davros, Master and Zagreus