Robocop

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to this article, MGM announced that Robocop might be making a come back.

I heard asbout this a long while ago, it only recently has been coming to the surface as a big possibility. I don't know how I feel about this. The original Robocop was such a great film, dark, non stop action. It would be horrible to remake it. Part 2 was a decent enough sequel, but it was might lighter, featuring a lot more comedic type scenes, than heading back into a dark place and back to the comedy. Part 3 was was just all around horrible, nothing good about that. I only have it because it was part of the set, otherwise I wouldn't care. The TV Shows that came out were decent(especially the one that features a scene from the first film as its opening credits).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This will either be really good, and a solid remake, taking what worked from the original and expanding on it.

Or it could be really bad and just fuck everything up.

Fingers crossed for the robot ninjas!(And the noose in my room is crossed as well just in case)

seriously though, i really do wonder how they are going to make a remake of a movie that was made in the eighties prime of cinema(The eighties ruled for movies, with the soundtracks, the robocop theme being especially fantastic. and of course the out of place last lines that opened the room for sequels)

plus the death of Alex Murphy would be CGI which would kill the illusion of the original which was really scary to watch and was realistic, i was five when i first saw it.

and what about the ed-209 i mean he would be CGI!

I love stop motion as it is really creepy when used properly, like with this and IT(The Stephen king horror with Tim curry with the scene in the shower) but think CGI would come across as fake, but in this day and age, CGI would really hurt that.

On second thoughts bring on the Robot ninjas!

P.S Yoda as you said on earth-2 the show the guy from the crow and commando and the warriors(He was the bad guy in that as well) would make a great Clarance boddicker, though my first choice would be Kurtwood smith as he was fantastic then and would still be fantastic, if a bit old, perhaps he could play the corrupt CEO whose name i forgot just now!

oh well

• 1 month later...
Well according to bloody-disgusting this will be a sequel!!!!

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/12913

What!?????

well here's a section that interested me:

Today we received word that MGM and Phoenix Pictures are close to pegging Darren Aronofsky to direct the latest "remake", which we also discovered is actually a sequel! Here's the logline: Present day Los Angeles, 20 years after the termination of the RoboCop program, the city decides to reinstate the program. If this all happens, I'd love to introduce Aronofsky to THE DARK KNIGHT, where he can see how to do it right...

I hope the termination is a result of the shit we went through with robocop two and three! But it might just be a sort of like Rocky Balboa coming out for one last fight.

although this is good, that they are acknowledging the fantastic original. Never thought I'd say this, but why don't they just do a reboot and a restart of the series.

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a sequel.

Asked where in the series the fourth film would fall, whether it would come after the first, second or third films in the series' internal universe, Fischer and Medavoy were adamant that it would stand on its own, apart from the character's earlier incarnations.

"None of [the earlier films are] going to be canonical, as a matter of fact," Fischer revealed. "I wouldn't say it's a direct sequel."

"Definitely not a sequel," Medavoy added, saying he preferred the term "reimagining."

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/37717

And before anyone asks about the rating:

In a separate post on MTV's Movie Blog, Medavoy indicates the plan at this time is to generate an 'R' rated film - which will presumably encapsulate the ultra-violent excess advanced by earlier ROBO installments.

• 1 year later...

Source

Darren Aronofsky's RoboCop remake has been put on hold, reports Moviehole.

Studio MGM has halted the sci-fi action movie after failing to agree with Aronofsky on how to approach the special effects work. According to a source from the film's production company Phoenix Pictures, the director is keen to avoid modern, computer-generated techniques.

"The project is on hold," the insider told RoboCop Archive. "The problem is that Mary Parent, chairperson of MGM, wants a 3D movie for the new RoboCop. But, as you know, Darren Aronofsky is a real artist and he's not interested in gimmicks like 3D, CGI [or] filming digital. He wants to do everything as real (organic) as possible just like The Fountain."

Paul Verhoeven's original RoboCop, which was released in 1987, spawned two sequels, a TV series and several video games.

Both, a good and a bad thing then.

I'm not entirely sure that MGM are in the financial position to be demanding a 3D slant to one of their most potentially marketable properties.

Eh, if it happens, I'll probably watch it eventually but the original holds up so well in everything but effects (and even then, just the ED-209), that it may well be one of those films which stands far above the standard of its remake.

• 3 months later...