Batman R.I.P. - SPOILERS

Koete

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read any of the books in this arc yet, but this Thomas Wayne is an imposter or something, right? Alfred, even though he's been beaten within an inch of his life, says he isn't the real Thomas Wayne. Or has the story progressed enough to where this has been confirmed or denied?

Someone else will have to tell you about the multicolored Batman / Zur-En-Arrh, but the little Batman is Bat-Mite (an imp not unlike Mister Mxyzptlk).

Woo hoo! Chance for my 50's Batman fandom to be of use!

The costume Batman is currently wearing is similar to the costume worn by the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh. The Batman of Zur-En-Arrh and his planet appeared in one story, in Batman #113 entitled "Batman, The Superman of Planet X". The Batman of Zur-En-Arrh observed the heroics of Batman and decided to emulate him and become a Batman for his planet. The Batman of Zur-En-Arrh transported the Batman of Earth to his planet to help combat a robot invasion, as the elements of Earth make Earthlings super-human on Zur-En-Arrh. After defeating the robot invasion, Batman returns to Earth and wonders if what happened really occurred...

Except for Batman and Son, most of Grant Morrison's Batman run has brought back stories from the 50's Batman era into continuity. Zur-En-Arrh appeared as graffiti on walls in early issues of his run. It later showed up as the trigger word that knocked Bruce out and allowed for his capture by the Black Glove. The Bat Radia reappeared (although it may be a delusion on Bruce's part) when he stitched together the Zur-En-Arrh Batman costume.

As for Bat-Mite, during the 50's era he was an extradimensional imp who idolized Batman and came to Earth to "help" him in his crime fighting. More often than not, his attempts to assist Batman were more harm than good. Grant Morrison as brought him back into continuity with a much more sinister bent.

http://malone.blogs.com/photos/uncategoriz.../19/batmite.jpg

http://image.comicvine.com/uploads/item/24...at-mite_400.jpg

I haven't read any of the books in this arc yet, but this Thomas Wayne is an imposter or something, right? Alfred, even though he's been beaten within an inch of his life, says he isn't the real Thomas Wayne. Or has the story progressed enough to where this has been confirmed or denied?

The identity of the mastermind behind the events of R.I.P. has not yet been revealed. He very well could be Thomas Wayne, but I think Dr. Hurt's wearing of his Batman costume is a red herring.

• 2 weeks later...

I just thought of this and maybe someone mentioned this in the thread before, but what if the mastermind was Batman himself.

He said in an earlier story he spends his days working his way out of every single trap that his enemy's haven't even thought of yet, and this version of himself, Zur-En-Arrh Batman to be able to work out first hand, what to do if any of his enemy's were to screw with his mind, but it backfires as the human mind cannot be toyed with without consequences.

Thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

Right I know have done what will make DC happy, I have now officially bought at least one of every comic that is in the R.I.P arc.

First off: Whoever said you don't need to read the other comics to get the story, the other comics take place involving people around the same time, except Heart of Hush which "Officially" takes place about a week before the events of R.I.P.

That answers that question.

For the second thing: Is it worth your money getting the other issues if you weren't going to get them? Fuck no. I will be getting Nightwing from now on, and I always got Detective, but the rest did nothing for me. The story's weren't interesting and were not worth the money.

Onto each comic: Batman: The story started off slowly, and was a bit shit, but giving it time the story let itself be known and is now quite interesting, if not completely insane.

Detective: Is good, it has it's own story involving the return of Hush and really has nothing to do with "Batman R.I.P" but it is good and shows you the psyche of Hush and why he hates Bruce and more into his childhood, also we meet Hush's mentor, which I liked. Overall Detective brought nothing new to the table for the arc, but created it's on in the timeline, which is commendable.

Robin: I missed the first issue of his tie-in. It was only when the second one came out that I decided to just collect all the story tangents, dear god was this dull. I have no problem with the Robin character, I'm just not a fan of reading about his solo adventures. This issue seems like it was in the R.I.P arc just to get stupid people who are into the R.I.P arc to part with their money.....Hello. This issue only had about two pages of Batman stuff in it, and that wasn't good, it was dull. I will not be buying Robin again, also I picked up red Robin wanting to give this comic a second chance, that was just as bad. I have nothing else to say about Robin.

Nightwing: This is another we're just putting this under the arc as it's in the same timeframe, taking place after the events, without explaining what happened to Batman. The first issue was a set up issue, and was ok, it wasn't great, but the ending was good enough to make me say I'll give it one more shot, I did and I don't regret it. The second issue picked up moments after the first ended and hit the ground running, and was fun and action packed but still had time for moments with Dick and Alfred. Nightwing was a bonus in this arc, even though it was not what I was expecting as this is Nightwings story, and Batman will not be showing up, I still enjoyed it and will be getting Nightwing from now on.

Batman and the outsiders: Dear god this was terrible, I picked this up as it was the last thing on the list of things to get in the arc. The story is again taking place after R.I.P with Batman gone, but not saying if he's alive or dead, probably cause Morrison hasn't told anyone how R.I.P ends yet and they are just guessing, which by the end of this, wouldn't surprise me. The outsiders aare lost without Batman and think they may have to break up, or some crap, the story was crap. The fact that they have to give all the characters names as they are introduced proves that this is the most shameless Tie-In to R.I.P yet, and possibly ever. The dialogue is shit, the plot is nothing to care about, and the art is terrible in my opinion.

Your probably wondering why I mentioned the art in the outsiders and not the other comics? Easy, I am not the right person to say what's good and what's not cause I can't draw, however when I see the shit that was wiped on the page and sent out as an R.I.P tie-in like this is, and I have no doubt about that, even I can't say anything nice. Also the rogues, and Penguin in particular looked terrible, Bat-girl Cassandra Cain looked shit, theirs nothing else that can be said.

So all in all, Batman R.I.P was meant to be the biggest thing to ever happen to Batman, and in five years time it will probably be remembered like Knightfall by most people, not as a story that ran for way to long, but as a story that had so many crap comics try and cash in on it.

Well that's my two pence.

Sadly, I'm behind on my Robin reading. I read the issues where Spoiler returned and I flipped through a recent one, but that's been it.

Damnit, I need backup here. OK I admit its probably not the best book out there but it is pretty good and I'm a huge fan of Tim Drake. He's probably my favorite character in comics right now.

Sadly, I'm behind on my Robin reading. I read the issues where Spoiler returned and I flipped through a recent one, but that's been it.

Damnit, I need backup here. OK I admit its probably not the best book out there but it is pretty good and I'm a huge fan of Tim Drake. He's probably my favorite character in comics right now.

Well from what I read, it wasn't all that great for me just coming in to read a tie-in.

Well from what I read, it wasn't all that great for me just coming in to read a tie-in.

I've liked the RIP tie ins. You got Robin trying to figre out what is going on with Batman, how to deal with Spoiler, dealing with Jason Todd and the aftermath of Batman being RIP, and whatever Red Robin is. Good stuff.

I've liked the RIP tie ins. You got Robin trying to figre out what is going on with Batman, how to deal with Spoiler, dealing with Jason Todd and the aftermath of Batman being RIP, and whatever Red Robin is. Good stuff.

have you read batman and the outsiders yet?

Cause I would like to see anyone defend that!

It's your opinion if you liked the tie-ins which I respect, but I really wasn't that blown away by them.

It's your opinion if you liked the tie-ins which I respect, but I really wasn't that blown away by them.

No I have not yet read Batman and the Outsiders.

Well, that is the one R.I.P tie-in I have a major problem with.

Off topic, yet not.....

Does anyone know when the next issue of Batman is out?

I asked when picking up the Outsiders crap, and the guy could only tell me it wasn't this week.

Again off topic, but the Dc superhero election decision thing is out....... <_<

Off topic, yet not.....

I asked when picking up the Outsiders crap, and the guy could only tell me it wasn't this week.

According to DC's website the next issue of Batman is October 1st. Personally I cannot wait for Dennis O'Neil writing the end of the arc myself.

Now you have me think Batmna and the Outsiders is so bad I have to read it.

Off topic, yet not.....

According to DC's website the next issue of Batman is October 1st. Personally I cannot wait for Dennis O'Neil writing the end of the arc myself.

Now you have me think Batmna and the Outsiders is so bad I have to read it.

That's next Wednesday, yay.

Denny O'Neil is writing the final chapter???? I thought he was writing the first issue after the conclusion?

Just go to your comic shop and skim through it, Outsiders is just crap, like I said in my long post, I had no good things to say, it was shit.