• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Final Crisis #5

Mary Marvel possessed by Desaad is fucking twisted

Yuppums!

I think once it's done I'm going to make a sludge metal song featuring only the words of Darkseid.

It's getting better and better.

I. Am. The. New. God. can be the chorus.

That's what I'm thinking!

• 3 weeks later...

I decided o get issues 1-5 of final crisis when i went to the comic shop on friday, and I got the directors cut of issue one, it has the full script, and a pre coloured issue, plus notes from Grant Morrison and JG Jones.

I started to read it, knowing I wasn't going to get too much out of it, but to be honest, I couldn't get passed a few pages of the first issue.

Maybe it was the fact that I would have to read the script as the comic part did not have the speech bubbles, but I was just lost.

It looks nice from what I've skimmed through, and will be fun to read when I can get to it, but right now, it's on the list of things to get to later.

Off topic slightly, I can see why countdown was dropped by DC, I mean I enjoyed it, but it just was so stupid in the end. It was just such a random, mishmash of characters art and storys that no one was really given time to be entertaning and no one was given the chance to have memorable moments. Even though they had 52 issues to play with and a good story can play it out in 6 issues like Punisher: Slavers, or a great story can be played out in around 8 issues like batman: Under the hood. But with 52, they really screwed up, this should have been the best comic of the last few years, as you had so much space. What they should have said at the start was "Ok, we have 52 issues, we have the chance to change these nobodys, into somebodys, and we have the time to do it" instead it almost seems like they said "Shit, we have 52 issues, what the hell are we going to have happen for 52 issues!"

So, I'm new to this forum and this is my first post on the DC boards. I haven't read to much of what everyone is saying so I hope I don't make a fool of myself here...

**minor SPOILER warning**

Just ran to the comic shop on my lunch break, spent $4 f'ing 25 on Final Crisis #6, ran back to my desk to read it, and...

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!

This is how Grant Morrison takes out the dark knight? This piece of s*** is going to be in Bat's history now? $4.25, months of hype, and I get two pages of crap artwork in the middle of a story that a tag team of shakespeare, einstein, and lucifer himself couldn't understand? I liked 52 (generally), and Morrison's run on Batman had it's moments (I like Damien) but this was my last straw.

I'm DONE with anything Batman + Grant Morrison.

I merged your Final Crisis thread with this one, batcavejanitor.

As for the topic at hand, I haven't read the issue yet, but I have seen the pages, and they seemed so random and out of character to me.

Batman shoots Darkseid then doesn't even attempt to dodge the beams?

Really?

I merged your Final Crisis thread with this one, batcavejanitor.

As for the topic at hand, I haven't read the issue yet, but I have seen the pages, and they seemed so random and out of character to me.

Batman shoots Darkseid then doesn't even attempt to dodge the beams?

Really?

I guess should have written a little spoiler warning on my last pots...I'll go back and edit it.

Well, I know you don't want to spend the money on the issue but I'm curious what your thoughts on it will be.

OK, I got my hands on a copy of this, and its par for the course for a Final Crisis book, probably a notch above the last couple of issues. There is too much to tell, too much to understand to contain it in one miniseries. Ironically enough this is a comic book that could merit more tie-ins. This is in every way the anti secret invasion, poorly built and almost completely under-explored.

This ENTIRE ISSUE should have been about Batman. The momentous decision he makes seems minor as it is presented. We should have been following Bruce as he crawled from captivity to face Darkseid, he should have wrestled with the morality and symbolism and NECESSITY of the act. To quote James T Kirk, "How we deal with death is at least as important as how we deal with life, wouldn't you say?". Mary Marvel gets more time than Batman in a comic where she isn't dying? Good god, Blue Beetle got his own 60+ page special!

Morrison seems obsessed with skipping all the basic storyline components that make you care about the big guys. Where was Superman's discovery of the body? That should have been pivotal! Yes its nice to see lesser characters get some time in the big events but WHY THE FUCK IS A TALKING TIGER GETTING MORE PAGES THAN BATMAN IN A BOOK WHERE BATMAN DIES?!?! 5 pages including 2 page splash and one where he's dead, and this in a 30 page book? It absolutely boggles the mind.

There's a lot of good things here. The plots are well executed, the art is great, and I'm interested in how it all turns out. There are good character moments, there's good dialogue, its just a good book that is telling what feels like a big bigger story in too small a way. Its the absolute opposite of decompressed.

All considering that was a hell of a way to go out. As a batman fan, even if this is the last we see of batman (which it isn't), it was nice to know he went out doing what no one else could do. In one scene Morrison manages to strip away all that "Batman is a facisct" stuff we have been feed for over 20 years in that Batman restored free will back to the people by killing fascism. Batman is the ultimate human, and he saved the world. Morrison talked a lot about drawing a line in the sand with Final Crisis in that it would definitvley start a new age in comics, and i think he just did that right now. The Dark Knight Returns ushered in the Dark Age of comics with a rather facist portrayal of Batman and that lead the way for everything that came after, and the comic world has been living in it's shadow ever since, so it's fitting that this would be the thing to end that age.

I know you guys are all pissed about this, and think Morrison destroyed the character and everything but I feel quite the opposite. If Morrison didn't respect the character of Batman, he would of had him stand by and do nothing while Darkseid continued to destroy the world. Morrison dosen't do that, Morrison made Batman a real hero again in the truest sense of the word. And this certainly has a lot to do with R.I.P, Batman faced every demon in his past, and against insurmountable odds still managed to come out on top. That was all preparation for this, the moment of truth and the closing of the first chapter of the Batman. When the Bruce Wayne Batman returns it will be a new Batman, one who beat death literally and with a whole new outlook, and one that is no longer haunted by the demons of his past or the horrors of the future.

Its not that I feel Batman was mishandled in the issue, its that his whole story arc during Final Crisis has been criminally under examined. Given the events of this issue and those that came before its astonishing that Batman hasn't had more face time in this book, particularly this issue. He's the biggest most recognisable superhero on the planet, he deserves more than 4 pages.

I'm sorry, Malpractice, but Batman turned his back on his principles. Having a character do that is fine as long as you show the conflicted lead up and / or the guilty aftermath, but we didn't get any of that.

I don't feel that it is going against his principles. There is a big difference between killing a human and killing a god. Not to mention that it's one thing to sit around and pontificate on what's right and wrong and what a character would or wouldn't do but it's a whole different story actually putting them in a situation where those principles are tested. I personally don't feel that Batman would have anything to be conflicted about or guilty about in this situation, but even so you could interpret that Batman not even trying to dodge the beams is his "guilty aftermath", death was the price he felt he had to pay for killing Darkseid and saving the world. You could also say that Batman knew death was coming anyway if you have been reading Morrison's Batman run, and had been preparing for what he had to do or had his "conflicted lead up" there.

I am sure i will just be labeled as a Morrison apoligist anyway, but I don't care that's my opinion.

I'm not declaring Batman's dead until the end of Final Crisis #7. I have a feeling the Miracle Machine has another part to play.

Also, R.I.P and Last Rites were all about how Batman is an unstoppable force even when he is not sentient, I imagine death would be no different. Remember Batman got up and walked out of his grave once before, who's to say that won't be happening again :smilewinkgrin: