Iron Man 2

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a huge kick out of Sam Rockwell in this film too, what a great villain. Plus the man can dance.

HEY!!! spoilers....

Nah, I'm seeing this on Sunday. It would've been tomorrow but it's my Dad's 60th birthday tomorrow so I'm otherwise engaged.

I saw it yesterday. I won't say I was disappointed in it because I wasn't but there was just too much Tony and his ego and not enough Iron Man. I was entertained just fine, but there were points where it felt like it was juuuust starting to - almost - drag a little. I give it a 5 or a 6... but the bit after the end credits I will give a 10 just for... well you have to see it. :D

I guess I was spoiled by the first movie.

Come on. No one actually watches soccer, do they?

Not when you're in Canada - dear Christ, your continent sucks at "soccer".

On a serious note, there was actually talk around the first Iron Man that the coinciding release of GTA4 would harm its ticket sales. In the event, it didn't, but I'm guessing that the film is going to want to open as strongly as possible before the World Cup begins in 2010. Believe me, England is going to be (more of) a nation of hard drinking and casual violence from mid-June onwards!

It's already made over $100 million internationally.

Paramount Pictures and Marvel Studios opened Iron Man 2 internationally a week earlier to give it more time before the World Cup starts on June 11th. The highly-anticipated sequel earned an impressive $100.2 million its first five days from 6,764 theaters in 53 foreign markets for a strong average of $14,814 per site. IMAX Corporation reported that the film grossed $2.25 million at 48 IMAX theaters overseas - an average of $46,875. That's a new record for a 2D release, surpassing 2009's Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen ($2.1 million). Directed by Jon Favreau, the movie stars Robert Downey Jr., Gwyneth Paltrow, Don Cheadle, Jon Favreau, Mickey Rourke, Sam Rockwell, Samuel L. Jackson, Scarlett Johansson, Garry Shandling, John Slattery, Kate Mara and Clark Gregg.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=65669

It's awesome to see Garry Shandling listed as one of the stars.

I went to see it today, and I really enjoyed it. They linked back to the first one, Happy was given a bigger role, Justin was a good anti-Tony and Whiplash wasn't bad. Just one good and one bad thing to be said:

I like how Justin wasn't killed off, but just sent to prison, he was fucking awesome when he did his dance at the expo near the end, and was a great bad guy to stand against Stark as the bad guy. I like how he can come back and be a villian again in a later film, as he swore revenge on Pepper, blaming her for calling the police.

I didn't like killing off Whiplash, his new suit reminded me way too much of Obidiah in the first film, still, the way he died was good. My main bring down was that the villian usually dies in comic book movies. So, I can't hold that against this.

Rhodey turning into War Machine was not bad, the way he got the suit was quite good, rather than just showing up to help Tony he was trying to serve his country, and kick Tony's ass.

Pepper and Tony getting together was not bad. But did I miss the scene in the trailer where she kisses the helmet on a plane and he goes after it, cause I don't remember seeing that.

Mickey Rourke was good in the role, though his roar as his dad died at the start was over the top, and a bit shit.

I liked how Caps shield was used to prop up Tony's machine.

I really liked the film just calling back to the first one, instead of just saying that was one movie, this is another, they felt like they were joined, like when the reporter from the second film showed up, and he mentioned sleeping with her. Also the shield agent.

Tonys bits with his dad were not bad, but maybe I need to watch it again to actually make sense of how he got the idea for the thing to save his life.

Alright, that was a lot more than two things. I basically spoil a good chunk of the movie, so read the spoiler-ed part at your own peril.

I can't wait for the avengers movie now, and I don't usually care about Marvel. Also stay till after the credits, cause not only is one of the songs used in the credits awesome.

We get our first look at Thor's hammer.

But did I miss the scene in the trailer where she kisses the helmet on a plane and he goes after it, cause I don't remember seeing that.

They pulled that out of the movie. It wasn't in that scene when they put it online. It's strange that they still use it in the trailers.

Just got back from the midnight showing. I gotta say, I was pretty underwhelmed.

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much Tony and his ego. Not enough action.

The dialogue in this one didn't even hold a candle to the previous film's. Moreover, the constant dual, fast-paced, unintelligible dialogue bits between Pepper and Tony got old after the first 16 times it happened. It was too much.

And can we stop with the copycat Iron Men, please? Whiplash was a good character, but like the last film, the villain just ends up building his own Iron Man armor to fight Tony. Yawn.

Um...Black Widow didn't even have a hint of a Russian accent. Very annoying.

And for fuck's sake, why was Mandarin not even hinted at here??? He's pretty much the only Iron Man villain most people know about. Just make the character into the cult of ten people with power rings if you have to, but don't let it go to waste.

However, I loved what little we got of Rhodey. When he had the final War Machine armor, it was awesome. And Happy's role was so great in this one.

And did Tony synthesize vibranium near the end of the movie? I kept hoping he would synthesize adamantium, but I figured vibranium makes more sense with Captain America being in this continuity.

Overall, pretty disapponting.

Guest TFG1Mike

I'm going to see this in a few hours just based on what I've heard people say this film makes me think of the Iron Man 1994 cartoon series 2 part episode The Armor Wars.

It's basically the exact same premise minus the Mandarin pulling Justin Hammer's strings. Tony has to fight to get his tech back.

Oh, the scene in the trailer where Pepper kisses the helmet before tossing it out of the plane, that's not in the movie.

But did I miss the scene in the trailer where she kisses the helmet on a plane and he goes after it, cause I don't remember seeing that.

They pulled that out of the movie. It wasn't in that scene when they put it online. It's strange that they still use it in the trailers.