Middleman

Missy

The first episode of Middleman debuted on ABC Family this evening, and it was excellent! If you missed it, iTunes is giving the episode away for free.

It's very Men in Black-ish, but with a hip girl and a retro-talking ex-Navy SEAL. The camp is perfectly balanced with slightly more mature humor. All of the characters are lovable, especially Wendy's friend from the hallway and her roommate. There's a slight air of mystery to the Middleman, but you can tell it will never delve into a dark origin, which is a breath of fresh air. And the constant references to all kinds of comic books is great; it's one thing for a show to mention Batman, Superman and even the Flash, but to bring up Powers and Mouse Guard shows knowledgeable writers.

My only gripe, and it's very small, is that the special effects could use some work. For a modern show, they're very dated.

Also, if you see images of Wendy in low-cut leather, don't think that's how she dresses in the show. She actually dresses like this:

the-middleman-20080613031455050.jpg

• 1 month later...
Also, if you see images of Wendy in low-cut leather, don't think that's how she dresses in the show. She actually dresses like this

I was wondering about that - I watched the first 6 episodes on a redeye to Minnesota (sounds like a song title or something) and couldn't figure out where that outfit in the credits came from. Really enjoyable show, even without the cute female lead in a leather jumpsuit.

Chris