DC Universe Online

JackFetch

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

annericelover, you need to pay more attention to the threads you post in. :youlose:

I go through the search engine to look for the forum and can never find them. So I post and know that my post will be redirected. This has to do with Mortal Kombat Vs DC Universe, so I posted it on MK vs DC forum, but it was directed here, I don't know why. But something is wrong with the search engine. It won't let any searches be done with words more than 4 letters.

• 1 month later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

I wish they would have used the animation style of Justice League and JLU of the DCAU in this game

I don't like the colors on Batman other then that it looks pretty effin cool.

• 8 months later...
Personally, if the game does allow you to run up buildings if you're a speedster, then I am kinda excited.

It does.

Also:

It is known that players choose a city for their character; the currently known cities being Metropolis, Gotham and Arkham Asylum. The character is given a Justice League or Legion of Doom Communicator depending on their choice of hero or villain, and the character's allegiance will affect how the game is played; for example, a hero character may encounter a thug robbing an armored truck while a villain character will instead rob the armor truck. It is also known that player characters have threat ratings which will cause heroes and villains to interact with the character

Some great info here.

- Fighting is purely physics based. No more hotbar.. It's pure action and skill based. No dice rolling, more on action.

- Quest System is like GTA4. You get text messages, phonecalls on your com link, and you can choose to accept it or not. You get reputation with batman, superman and other heroes. It all happens randomly, you choose to accept and help them or not.

-Full on PVP quests, if batman calls you up for help, chances are the joker called someone else to help. The world is always changing.

• 2 months later...
Another Comic-Con means another dose of DC Universe Online action. That's makes me happy. The demo on the show floor is the same STAR Labs fight I got to play at E3 -- you know, there's a gas leak at STAR Labs and it's turning everyone into zombies -- but the throngs of fans attacking the Sony Online Entertainment booth really don't seem to mind.

If you had an itch to scratch for new videogame info, there was a DCUO panel this very morning where Executive Creative Director Jim Lee, broad storywriter Geoff Johns, micro-story writer Marv Wolfman, and the SOE team talked shop and let fans know what has been happening since they last heard about the title.

Sure, they talked about the whole choosing if you want to be a bad guy or a good guy, spoke about how Wolfman's one-page scenario is spun out into 60 missions, and showed a trailer featuring Sinestro, Nightwing, and a bunch of other guys we've seen before. Don't get me wrong, all that is cool, but you're an IGN reader. You've been watching our coverage like a hawk; you knew all of that.

What was new at the panel? Well, I'm glad you asked, my Superboys and Supergirls…

* Lee admitted that drawing the back of buildings was tough -- it's something he's never had to do in a 2D comic. Plus, costumes to him are just "shiny blue or shiny black." Lee's never had to think about what costumes were made of before this game -- stuff like leather. "Wouldn't that be heavy or smelly?" Lee asked.

* The team is hard at work on Gotham City, and it should be revealed soon.

* Giant pennies, Egg-Fu, and Ambush Bug are all confirmed.

* You'll be collecting costume pieces as you play. Again, you knew that from my E3 preview, but I'm reiterating it. You'll be able to have different suits for different scenarios.

* Hey, movie fans! A kid got up there and asked one of those loaded questions about Johns working on The Flash movie but not being able to say if he was or not. Johns just interrupted him and said "I am."

* Gotham City and Metropolis are the two main cities in the game. That's the world, although there will be "exotic" locations and expansions that take you other places..

* You can create young-looking characters for sidekicks or teen heroes.

* Booster Gold billboard pimping "Booster Flakes" confirmed.

* There's a Technology of the Green Lantern Corps. on display at a museum in Metropolis.

* The game's still pre-alpha. It's close to alpha.

* The release date is still "completely open."

* Blackout is in the game.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/100/1007521p1.html

:blink:

Uhh... they want me to do what?

Dress up as your favorite hero or villain in the DCU ("DCUO BFF"). Then you act like that character give information about yourself and go crazy about how much you know about that character why you love that character your dressing up as, then tape all this and upload it to the DCU BFF Myspace page. Everything is explained in the link I gave out earlier.

Oh, and BTW, I'm definitely not doing, its stupid and a waste of time. Although some people on Earth-2.net may be geekish enough to actually do this. I believe this is a stupid thing DC Universe Online is doing.

• 1 month later...
Most importantly, we made sure to check in and see whether or not the title will be subscription-based or free to play like so many seem to be doing lately. In his response we were given a very strong impression that they are leaning towards the expansion-pack business model, as opposed to the traditional subscription fee although such matters hadn’t been solidified at that point over at Sony Online Entertainment.

http://www.onelastcontinue.com/10953/gamescom-2009-dc-universe-online-impressions/

This is huge, and could change the way future MMOs are done.

This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

I have no problem with this at all. I don't care if they release three full-priced expansion packs a year; it'll be fun that way because it'll actually mirror the way that the comics industry works: if you want a new adventure, you buy it. It'll be especially fun if they make each expansion different and standalone, so that not all players will need it. That way, if you're short on $$$ to buy all the packs, you can pick and choose which corners of the DCU you want to explore.

This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.

I have no problem with this at all. I don't care if they release three full-priced expansion packs a year; it'll be fun that way because it'll actually mirror the way that the comics industry works: if you want a new adventure, you buy it. It'll be especially fun if they make each expansion different and standalone, so that not all players will need it. That way, if you're short on $$$ to buy all the packs, you can pick and choose which corners of the DCU you want to explore.

I agree with that. The first game has 3 cities I believe. They can release each expansion as a city(or planet). The only problem with that though is leveling. The reason for expansions is to let players continue to level, and if you miss an expansion you would be too low level for the next one.

I agree with that. The first game has 3 cities I believe. They can release each expansion as a city(or planet). The only problem with that though is leveling. The reason for expansions is to let players continue to level, and if you miss an expansion you would be too low level for the next one.

Hmm. Maybe each expansion would simply "add" a certain number of levels to your character's level cap? And perhaps the new areas wouldn't be exclusively high-level, but have high- and low-level areas?

• 2 months later...
Mass Animation, the collaborative animation project headed by former Sony Digital topper Yair Landau, is launching a DC Universe Online Animation Contest on Facebook.

Using animation made by fans, Mass Animation will produce the trailer for Sony Online Entertainment's upcoming DC Universe Online game and supply some "emotes" for game play. DC Universe Online is a massively multiplayer online game from Sony Online Entertainment skedded for release in 2010.

SOE is paying Mass Animation a fee for its output.

Fans create their animation by downloading digital models originally created by SOE from the Facebook page, animating them with a special version of Autodesk's Maya 3D software, then uploading their footage to the Facebook page, where people can vote on their favorites.

Those getting the most votes go into the 90-second trailer. A new iPhone app lets people view and vote from their phones.

"We see this as a new way to bring fans into creating materials we use in marketing and in-game," said SOE chief exec John Smedley.

The contest runs Dec. 7 through early February. Landau said, "We'll be giving people a couple of months to do the animation, and then we'll work with the winners to refine the shots."

Fans will also create "animation cycles" or "emotes" for game play: gestures that express emotion or personality, as when a character smiles or shakes his fist. Mass Animation emotes will be available for players' game characters but not used for DC's heroes or villains.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118011361.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&ref=vertfilm

• 2 weeks later...