DC Universe Online

JackFetch

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I'm level 11 and still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. The bad things:

I don't know how the chat works. Apparently there is no zone wide channel so everyone just yells. There is nothing telling you how to use it. That's a common thing. The game doesn't tell you how to do anything.

You can't target any other players because the mouse is used for the camera, so to inspect anyone you have to open up the social window and if they are standing near you you can inspect them.

The graphics aren't that good. If you get 20 feet away from anyone they go low rez and their animations stop. There are some cool stuff going on in the distance like huge epic battles with missiles flying, but when you get closer it disappears which is disappointing. The in game cinematics are horrible and Superman looks like a paper doll with a mouth that randomly opens.

The powers and outfits are very limited compared to City of Heroes and Champions Online.

The game is buggy as hell, and sometimes won't even load.

The Watchtower is the most confusing and convoluted location I've ever tried to navigate which sucks because all the teleporters are there. Who the hell thought that was a good idea?

And now for the good:

It uses the DC license very well. All the old familiar places are there. Even Bibbo's Ace o' Clubs. I got a feat for going to the place where the Waynes were killed, and Booster Gold gives tours of the landmark areas. It also has every D.C. character you can think of. I have no idea who Ambush Bug is, but he has the best dialog in the game that I've seen so far. He seems to act like DC's version of Deadpool as he knows he's in a video game.

The voice acting is awesome. I haven't looked up who's doing them, but they sound straight from the cartoons. (just looked it up, and it's a star studded cast including Mark Hamill and Kevin Conroy)

My overall impressions so far are mixed. They made some bad decisions when it comes to the UI. You can tell it was made with a console in mind, even on the PC version because it feels really dumbed down. It's fun for awhile, but really repetitive. I'd say if you are a hard core fan of DC it's fun to fight alongside The Flash against Gorilla Grodd, but there isn't much else there.

Yeah, see, I don't quite have that relationship.

Furthermore, I see SWTOR as a Bioware game, not a Star Wars project.

From the gameplay I've seen, I wasn't impressed at all. Bioware makes great single player games though.

Getting back to DC Universe Online, here is Blazing Sun:

intcharlightrigwarmpc14.png

I've played with this same character on City of Heroes and Champions Online. The character editor for DCUO doesn't have as many options so this was as close as I could get. I will say the fire looks amazing in game.

Actually, Bioware says that SWTOR has full single-player campaigns for each of the initial playable classes, so it's essentially KOTOR 3, 4, 5, and 6 put together. I'm a little more interested in that than I am everything else. The fact that it's a massively multiplayer game is just icing on the cake.

Blazing Sun looks pretty cool. I applaud thee, Sir Jack.

Thought I'd update my views. The graphics problems are apparently due to my shitty isp. When it's a good strong connection everything is fine. It still has some major problems with the launcher and connecting to the servers. Just trying to run the game and log in can take up to 10 minutes. That's a problem a lot of people are having so it isn't just me. The chat system and interface needs a big overhaul. You only get 6 powers on your hotbar, which is stupid. I'm really enjoying the stories, with each storyline ending with a little motion comic. I've decided to stop playing WoW for now and play this at least until Rift comes out.

Doctor Psycho is ridiculously difficult to beat. Has anyone here succeeded?

I soloed him, but yeah he's a bitch because all his little clones do is stun you. Just kill a few and run, and then repeat.

Was able to defeat him in my wolfman form eventually. I don't know anything about his character in the comics, but here he's creepy as hell.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...