The DCAU news thread

Koete

Guest DCAUFan1051

TVShowsOnDVD.com announced a news item yesterday about what aspect ratio would be on the JL Complete Series Box Set go here to find out what the deal is

Eh. That's still weird that that S1 is fullscreen, while the others aren't. I guess it's not a big deal, seeing as how the episodes were made so that all the important details are in the fullscreen crop, but I'd still rather have it in widescreen.

not sure if I'm getting your meaning, however I know Bruce Timm said somewhere on the current DVD Season releases that in Season 2 the asked CN if they could switch to Widescreen. Again I could be mistaken.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not sure if I'm getting your meaning, however I know Bruce Timm said somewhere on the current DVD Season releases that in Season 2 the asked CN if they could switch to Widescreen. Again I could be mistaken.

Season 1 was actually made in widescreen, but all the important details were kept in the fullscreen crop. They'd air the episodes in fullscreen first, then switch to widescreen for the later-night airings. In Season 2, the episodes were designed to be shown in widescreen, and (I think) that's how they were first aired.

EDIT:

Did some research, and found out that actually the S1 episodes were animated in fullscreen, but made so that they could be cropped into a mock-widescreen.

001.jpg

The creators say that they prefer the cropped widescreen format, actually, even though it technically cuts down the video. It's the "creators' true vision."

For Season 2, they switched it and animated the episodes in widescreen, but cropped them to fullscreen for some airings.

005.jpg

picture1if.jpg

Which one should I buy? This is a tough decision. One has two movies (Mystery of the Batwoman and Batman Beyond Return of the Joker), where as the other one only has one, but their the same price. But here is one more thing, the Batman Beyond Return of the Joker movie that is bundled with Batman Mystery of the Batwoman is the cut and censored 73 minute version, where as the single movie item of Batman Beyond Return of the Joker is the 77 minute uncut version. Both have Free Super Save Shipping too. Also is it cooler to have the double movie item in a collection? I'm not so interested in Mystery of the Batwoman, but I wondered if I should buy the Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker/Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman DVD collection because it is the same price as the uncut Return of the Joker.

NOTE: On Amazon, Batman Mystery of the Batwoman costs about $7.

EDIT: I just found out that the Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker/Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman DVD collection is actually a single disc set, so do you think that will be one of those annoying dual layered disc with one movie on one side, and the other on the other side.

I can't believe both of these have the same and low prices. Another ting that is interesting is that the other Batman Beyond Return of the Joker DVD items on Amazon are the cut 73 minute versions, but they cost more than the two DVDs I listed above.

For what it's worth, I personally don't care all that much about the cut vs uncut versions of ROTJ. In fact, a couple of the changes in there I actually don't like. However, at the same time, the uncut version is generally considered to be better by most fans, so I'd go for that one.

Besides, Mystery of the Batwoman is CRAP. Don't insult your DVD shelf by putting it there.

Guest DCAUFan1051

mystery of the batwoman wasn't all that great in my opinion... I'd go with the single ROTJ uncut version..... really it depends if you wanna see joker electrocute himself or tim shoot him.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest DCAUFan1051

To make a long story very short... I know I'm getting the Justice League Complete Series DVD Set for christmas. When the news articles said limited edition packaging or whatever it said... I had no idea it would be a tin type of case. Kind of like how the Voltron Lion Force and Superman Film sets are.... this is epically cool.

Tin Case?!!!! No offense WFP hosts, but fuck what Mike and James said about not buying it if you already have the older DVD sets, Its tin, I am buying this!!!!!

Is the BTAS set like that? I only have volume 4 and I hate what its made of, it the corners of box are all beat up from just being on the shelf.

Also, I have held off of buying season/volume big sets for long animated series, because I hope that they will all adapt the idea for complete series sets.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Tin Case?!!!! No offense WFP hosts, but fuck what Mike and James said about not buying it if you already have the older DVD sets, Its tin, I am buying this!!!!!

Is the BTAS set like that? I only have volume 4 and I hate what its made of, it the corners of box are all beat up from just being on the shelf.

Also, I have held off of buying season/volume big sets for long animated series, because I hope that they will all adapt the idea for complete series sets.

I'm hoping it's a tin case... my mom had it sent to my place wrapped up, because she can't get mail at her apartment. When I clicked my fingernail on it it gave off a sound like it was a tin case. I'm not trying to false advertise the set at all.

Graham the BTAS Set has collectible packaging, but it's not a tin case. I'll send u a PM with images of it

I'm hoping that the S:TAS Complete Series Set is Tin too.

Guest DCAUFan1051

Sort of on another note, but what's the normal price for the B:TAS set? On amazon it says its 200 bucks, I'm not paying that much, that can't be right. The JL and superman ones are only 50 or 60 dollars.

I paid like $78 after tax when it was on sale at best buy for $74.99... the original MSRP was $107.92 according to the press release image.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I searched for someone having a JL Complete Series DVD review on youtube found a video from some guy showing off what he got. The JL Compolete Series Set is a Tin outer case. However the only thing different from the season sets and this is the additional bonus disc. So they basically did the same thing as with the BTAS set... took the volume DVDs and put them in one big package.

They are the exact same discs as in the season sets. However one of the good things that I like about the completes series sets is that 1 DVD case takes up less shelf sapace then 4 individual DVDs.

Suave: I'll probably do a blog post about the Set with pics... dunno how I'll be doing it yet. might do a youtube vid.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...