Scream 4

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

You know I caught Scream 3 on cable last night, and I just don't know how they are making another. The guy who was the mastermind died in the last one. And you know the big twist will be Sidney gets killed and then someone else takes over as the female lead who people want to kill. The more I think about it the less I want to see this movie.

• 3 months later...

If it weren't for Scream, I would probably still be a pussy as far as horror films are concerned. Thus, the series will always have a special place in my heart.

Yeah, Scream was my transitional series too, along with I Know What You Did Last Summer. Anything with Sarah Michelle Gellar really.

• 1 month later...

Hehe, yeah, still looks cute, but not Veronica Mars hot... Got a young voice still though, maybe she can switch to phone sex lines, haha.

Movie looks only ok at best. I just can't see them having an ending that isn't either lame or makes no sense at all. It's why I like Scream 2, the double combo of the mum and the movie buff was kinda cool.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm just posting general thoughts right now. Nothing spoilery or too specific in case anyone else was going to see this this weekend. Overall, I enjoyed most of the film. There are some points in it that are very iffy. I was disappointed by parts of the execution of the ending. That said, I found myself warming up to a couple of the new characters and there are genuinely one or two really good fake-outs in the film. Also, I think it might be second to Scream 2 as far as my favorite opening of the franchise. One of the characters basically mentions why the Saw franchise was fucking terrible. That alone bumps up the grade on this movie.

One of the characters basically mentions why the Saw franchise was fucking terrible. That alone bumps up the grade on this movie.

Yep.

The reveal of Ghostface was OK, but the casting is all wrong. Physically, I'm not buying the killer. No way is that scrawny kid strong and tough enough to be Ghostface.

This will be a spoiler.

Sidney is in the hospital at the end. It's touch and go. She might not make it. The killer decides to finish her off, and we have a fight scene.

A fight scene? Really? Involving a character who is barely alive?

She gets punched and kicked in the stomach, where she was stabbed repeatedly. She gets up and no-sells her severe and debilitating injuries long enough to finish off the killer.

I thought I was watching John Cena after he gets some new merch. Come on, she shouldn't be Wolverine.

The ending hurt the movie. Overall final grade: B.

Why did ‘Scream 4’ fail at the box office?

So after all that hype — not one but two Entertainment Weekly covers; a publicity blitz spearheaded by Neve Campbell, Courteney Cox and David Arquette; a hush-hush approach to revealing the ending — “Scream 4”came in second at the box office to a bunch of animated birds.

“Rio” easily won the weekend box office with a haul of $40 million, while the fourth installment in the Ghostface saga made a mere $19.3 million. That’s the lowest opening weekend ever for a “Scream” sequel; the only film in the franchise to make a more meager debut was the first one, which opened with little fanfare and $6.3 million before evolving into a sleeper-slasher hit.

So why didn’t “Scream 4” sell more tickets? For a few reasons, actually.

1. You can’t beat animated animals. It’s spring break season, which means that the lure of the family film is even stronger than usual. That explains why “Rio” was No. 1 and last week’s top movie, “Hop,” was No. 3, with $11.1 million. It’s tough for the R-rated “Scream 4” to compete with that, even if it is aiming for the coveted and decidedly different young adult market.

2. The reviews were not stellar. We’ve established on past occasions that what film critics say often has no bearing on a movie’s financial success. But there are occasions when reviews do matter. One of those occasions is when potential ticket buyers are on the fence about whether or not to invest in a film. After an 11-year hiatus from “Scream” fever, the twenty- and thirty-somethings who probably felt the strongest nostalgia pull toward the series clearly were on the fence. Even though the reviews were not uniformly atrocious, there were enough negative ones to knock those people off of that perch.

3. Wes Craven and co. had other horror competition. “Insidious”lacked the same level of marketing that “Scream 4” posssessed. But it’s possible that some scary-movie buffs may have opted to see it instead given the positive word of mouth behind the indie effort. As Box Office Mojo notes, it’s entirely possible that “Insidious”— which has made nearly $36 million in two weeks of release, on a budget of $1.5 million— could end up outgrossing “Scream 4.”

4. No one cares about “Scream” anymore. Eleven years have passed since “Scream 3” arrived in theaters. After a decade-plus it’s possible that the original fans of “Scream” have simply moved on, and the potential new fans — many of whom were in elementary school or younger when the Sidney Prescott pictures became a pop culture phenomenon — weren’t invested in the ongoing narrative enough to bother. The odds of the movie seeing a bump in business in the coming weeks also look unlikely; from a money-making perspective, it seems like “Scream 4” may have missed its moment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/celebritology/post/why-did-scream-4-fail-at-the-box-office/2011/04/18/AF6CCjzD_blog.html

I finally got a chance to watch the film, somehow. :*

That was actually worse that I was expecting. Boring, crap dialogue, and horrible clichés and the ending was just as stupid and shit as 3's was.

Just all round garbage. The opening got on my nerves, it was funny the first time, but then it just kept going an going. And the killer's plan was just stupid.

I did like the final thirty seconds, but I didn't laugh at any of the "Funny" moments, or feel any terror or care for any of the cast, most of whom are just generic body bags.

Who would they be able to get as the killer if they did a fifth movie now? Sydney's long lost uncle? Billy's mums boyfriend who's been plotting revenge for thirteen years? Maybe Randy's dad.