Cowboy Bebop live action

JackFetch

All your Faye Valentine fantasies are finally going to come true… if you have any at least! Following Akira and Ghost in the Shell announcements, apparently Cowboy Bebop is in for a live-action adaptation as well. IF Magazine talked with veteran producer Erwin Stoff (via AICN) and discovered that he's working on making a live-action Cowboy Bebop movie with Fox. Apparently it's very fresh news: "I'm really excited to be working on it, and it's in the really early stages. We just signed it the other day." If you're not so familiar with Bebop, it's an incredibly popular Japanese anime TV series that first aired back in 1998 and has become a hit here in the US as well as Japan. I'm not exactly a big fan myself, but considering Hollywood is caught up in the anime trend, I'm definitely excited to see this one come to life as well.

Stoff goes on to explain his enthusiasm for the project and their attempts to remain faithful. "I have such an enormous admiration for its creators, that our first and foremost concern is going to be a real degree of faithfulness to the tone of the movie, to the mix of genres, and so on and so forth. When I met with them in Japan, one of the first things that I brought up was the experience that we had on A Scanner Darkly, and how hard we worked to remain faithful to Philip K. Dick, and that was our big concern here." Don't get confused, this does not mean that they're going for a similar animated look like A Scanner Darkly, as he explicitly said that it's going to be live-action. And if you're wondering who Faye Valentine is, she's one of the main character's in the series and a fan favorite.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/07/22/fox...n-feature-film/

I feel ashamed that I never got around to watching this show.

Jack, you should be ashamed. Doesn't it still air on the Cartoon Network? :youlose:

This is one of my favorite anime series, which isn't saying much because I'm not that huge into the medium, but I can't see it working as a live action. So much of what I dug about Bebop was the artistic style that I don't know how it could possibly translate to the screen.

I strongly disliked the animated movie, though, so maybe...

I hate Anime. Despise it.

But I fucking love Cowboy Bebop. One of the best western stories of modern times. It's about redemption, loyalty, love, revenge, it has everything a good western should, it just so happens to be set in space! Just fucking amazing. A movie that manages to stay true to the roots would be EPIC.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...