Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since it's the tea party, I suppose they'll be going with an evil Mad Hatter.

In related news, Marilyn Manson is doing a horror version called Phantasmagoria: The Visions of Lewis Carroll, that's supposed to be coming out around the same time.

I'll be seeing both anyway.

• 2 months later...

Johnny Depp's look really makes me want him to play this role in a new Batman film.

O_o

Uhh... I think you might be by yourself on that one.

Wrong.

Although I will say I think Sean Bean could pull off a damn good Jervis Tetch, too.

Sean Bean? A gruff Yorkshireman playing a whimsical mind-controlling paedophile in an over-sized hat?

Johnny Depp's look really makes me want him to play this role in a new Batman film.

O_o

Uhh... I think you might be by yourself on that one.

Wrong.

Although I will say I think Sean Bean could pull off a damn good Jervis Tetch, too.

Sean Bean? A gruff Yorkshireman playing a whimsical mind-controlling paedophile in an over-sized hat?

I suppose you can think of another Brit who could do a better job?! :P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay, Avril is one of my guilty pleasures in that her songs are so blitheringly simple and the lyrics are rhyming 101 that I can just switch off my brain and enjoy, but even by her standards that was tosh. Honestly, in order to merit having a piano in your video you need to do more than this.

I doubt I'll see this unless it greats great reviews. I was hoping for a more handcrafted Del Toro feel but this looks so weightless and cgi that I can't feel any of it. I'll stick with Pan Labyrinth or Spirited away, they're the best fantastical kid goes one a journey films of this generation.

Although you shouldn't show Pans Labyrinth to kids.

Unless you enjoy traumatizing them.

Honestly though this new film may not even be suitable for young kids, Depp's make up by itself could scare little kids. Burton has only made one film that I could say has nothing in it that could scare a kid(well maybe just one scene, if they are really sensitive)and that is Pee Wee's Big Adventure. Even Edward Scissorhands has elements that are not good for kids.

Well, in the UK, the Odeon chain (who are the biggest chain in the country) have confirmed they won't be showing Alice in Wonderland in protest at the reduced gap between cinema and DVD release. Cineworld (the 2nd biggest) will be showing it, but Vue (the 3rd) may join Odeon in the boycott.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8528820.stm

Well, in the UK, the Odeon chain (who are the biggest chain in the country) have confirmed they won't be showing Alice in Wonderland in protest at the reduced gap between cinema and DVD release. Cineworld (the 2nd biggest) will be showing it, but Vue (the 3rd) may join Odeon in the boycott.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8528820.stm

See, the thing about this for me is, Odeon prices in Glasgow are £7 and the local Odeon is small and really a horrid place, the Cineworld, in the city centre, is the biggest cinema in Scotland and has huge nice screens and isn't a shithole. So this means, for me, good for Cineworld, I'll gladly go and see this now.

Odeon might have the most locations but Showcase and Vue surely have more screens. Thinking about it there are 2 Vue multiplexes in Bristol with 12-14 screens each, a Cineworld, a showcase with another 12, and showcase duluxe with 10 including their directors theatre. Odeon has one crummy location, its the second oldest cinema in the city and it only has three screens, all of which are inferior to the other options. Who gives a shit if they won't show it?

Even if Vue boycott as well, showcase and cineworld will make a killing by themselves.