Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland

from their own websites, in the UK -

Odeon - 831 screens

Cineworld - 790 screens

Vue - 654 screens

Empire have 144 screens

Showcase have 21 cinemas, but I don't know how many screens

Also, the Odeon near me, which is in a shit location, cannot/does not show 3-D films. So really, Odeon was never an option for me to see this film.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

from their own websites, in the UK -

Odeon - 831 screens

Cineworld - 790 screens

Vue - 654 screens

Empire have 144 screens

Showcase have 21 cinemas, but I don't know how many screens

Also, the Odeon near me, which is in a shit location, cannot/does not show 3-D films. So really, Odeon was never an option for me to see this film.

Oh, that's understandable. And i'm not saying that Cineworld won't see a boost, but it's going to have an affect on the box office, losing a third of the screens in the country (and if Vue join in, almost 2 thirds).

It's a shame for me, cause my local cinema is a brand new Odeon..I'd have quite fancied sitting in the comfort of the gallery, with my complimentary drink and popcorn watching it in 3D. Instead i'll ahve to go to the Cineworld (which in the opposite of your situation is a total shithole, stuck on an industrial estate, and always cold).

Oh, that's understandable. And i'm not saying that Cineworld won't see a boost, but it's going to have an affect on the box office, losing a third of the screens in the country (and if Vue join in, almost 2 thirds).

It's a shame for me, cause my local cinema is a brand new Odeon..I'd have quite fancied sitting in the comfort of the gallery, with my complimentary drink and popcorn watching it in 3D. Instead i'll ahve to go to the Cineworld (which in the opposite of your situation is a total shithole, stuck on an industrial estate, and always cold).

Bugger. Well, that just means people in your situation with that will just say "I might as well just wait and rent the DVD!"

Which, if the other half wasn't really looking forward to seeing this, is exactly what I would be doing.

Bugger. Well, that just means people in your situation with that will just say "I might as well just wait and rent the DVD!"

Which, if the other half wasn't really looking forward to seeing this, is exactly what I would be doing.

Yep, I'm seriously considering not bothering. It's not a film i'm desperate to see (i've never been a fan of the book Alice in Wonderland), it was just the appeal of seeing it in 3D which attracted me.

Yep, I'm seriously considering not bothering. It's not a film i'm desperate to see (i've never been a fan of the book Alice in Wonderland), it was just the appeal of seeing it in 3D which attracted me.

That, and seeing the Who trailer on the big screen, possibly in 3-D.

yep, that would have been fun too...bet that would have looked good in 3-D

From the advertising campaign we're getting in the states, it's not entirely being targeted at just kids. The Tim Burton aspect is getting played up to appeal to fans of his work as well as some of the faux-goth kids. It's also going to get helped by the Alice fans out there as well. In addition, families where one of the parents number among those will probably go. I'd say it has a good chance at the box office. Ready to get my midnight tickets actually.

Odeon has reversed its decision to boycott Tim Burton's new 3D film version of Alice in Wonderland following talks with Disney.

The cinema chain had vowed not to show the film in the UK, Irish Republic and Italy over Disney's plans to release the film on DVD at the end of May.

Actor Michael Sheen, who plays the White Rabbit, said the row had been "a storm in a mad hatter's tea cup".

"I'm glad they've resolved it," he told the BBC.

Earlier, Burton had called Odeon's decision not to screen the film as "upsetting"."I feel terrible about it," the director told the BBC's Breakfast programme. "To me it doesn't make anybody look good."

Burton added that he hoped "something is going to be worked out", but had not been involved in talks, which are understood to have lasted late into Wednesday night.

His partner, Helena Bonham Carter, who stars as the Red Queen in the film, was more forthright.

"It was embarrassing and awful," she said, adding that her children had been without their father "for the last nine months" because of the demands of making a 3D film.

"Then just to be told, 'we're not going to show it in 3D', it felt like being in Wonderland. It was nonsense. It didn't make any sense."

"It was not a happy household for the last few weeks, I can tell you that."

'New benchmark'

Odeon made its original decision in response to Disney's plan to reduce the period between a film's debut and its DVD release from the standard 17 weeks.

The cinema chain said the plan would "set a new benchmark, leading to a 12-week window becoming rapidly standard".

In a statement following talks with Disney, Odeon said: "The Odeon and UCI Cinema Group is pleased to announce that, following detailed negotiations with the Walt Disney Company Ltd, an enduring agreement has been reached encompassing all the different aspects of both companies' commercial relationship."As a result of this agreement, Odeon is pleased to confirm that it will be able to continue with its plans for significant investment in new cinemas, in digital technology, in 3D capability and the other exciting developments designed for the increased enjoyment of all its customers."

Neither side would disclose terms of the agreement, but the Cineworld and Vue cinema chains, which will also be screening the film, had previously agreed to a 13-week gap between opening night and the DVD release.

Mia Wasikowska, who plays Alice in the film, said the cast had been "aware" of the dispute, but "let the studio handle it".

"I'm glad that it's over," she added.

Burton, Bonham Carter, and Johnny Depp, who stars as the Mad Hatter, all attended the premiere on Thursday at London's Odeon Leicester Square.

Source

Just got back. Enjoyed it quite a bit. A lot of the voices used by the more digital characters were awesome and Crispin Glover continues to be awesome personified. That said, I was kinda annoyed by the framing story. There was too much on it. Overall, a good film, I recommend seeing it. It seems like it might be as enjoyable in 2-D but the visuals really are served by the gimmick.

Save a few bits of wonky CGI, I quite liked it. Even the framing story worked for me, because it did a good job making me understand and care for Alice before she fell down the hole.

Despite being tired of his quirky performances, Johnny Depp played the role so very well. Of course he was mad and over-the-top, but he pulled back on it when needed. Those moments of clarity allowed Depp to play the part in an unexpected -- and welcomed -- way.

I had no idea who Mia Wasikowska was before this, but I'm in love! She's going to be a big star because of this. :wub:

I was also shocked to see Crispin Glover, as I had no clue he was in the movie. And I was pleasantly surprised to see Lindsay Duncan (Adelaide Brooke from "The Waters of Mars") as Alice's mother.

I'm amused that people are surprised by the fact that Tim Burton made Tim Burton's style of movie.

What exactly were people expecting?

Better pacing, and less Depp.

Considering the advertising campaign centered almost exclusively around him, I don't know how you'd expect less Johnny Depp in the movie. Hell, I was surprised how little he was used in the grand scheme of things.

And I think the pacing could have been a lot worse, thinking of all the things they had to leave out. There was a lot to cram into that two hours.

Considering the advertising campaign centered almost exclusively around him, I don't know how you'd expect less Johnny Depp in the movie. Hell, I was surprised how little he was used in the grand scheme of things.

And I think the pacing could have been a lot worse, thinking of all the things they had to leave out. There was a lot to cram into that two hours.

Well, they couldn't base it around Alice, who even after the film, I didn't give a shit about. Yes, Depp was the star, but he was really used in the film, he was off screen since his debut, at most fifteen minutes.

Her end speech to everyone was so stupid and forced, it was just fucking dull. I didn't care what she had to say

Anne Hathaway was fucking awful. She really phoned in her crappy performance.

Helen Bonham Carter was good as the Red Queen, but I started to think, would she have got the role if she wasn't shagging Burton. I like to think she would, as she was good.

Anyway, I enjoyed the film, it's just nothing I would go out of my way to see again.

Anne Hathaway was supposed to be awful. That's the entire point.

Considering this entire thread up to the release has been "fuck Tim Burton, ARGHHHH", I'm really not expecting anyone outside of James and myself to love it, since most people already made up their mind about the thing before they saw a single frame of it.

It was the absolute best a Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland was going to be, and that was good enough for me.

Dubs, I went into the film with an open mind, the fact that I thought his version of Charlie and the chocolate factory horribly inferior to the Gene Wilder classic not withstanding. Also, Tim Burton can do whatever the fuck he wants film wise, it doesn't bother me.

Anyway, repeating my end line, it was a good film, but it's not something that I will go out of my way to see again, or buy when it comes out on DVD.

-The first twenty minutes were spent beating us over the head with what a unique and beautiful snowflake Alice is, and how drab the real world is. Plus they managed to throw in some really heavy handed references to Wonderland.

-The rabbit hole sequence was over animated, and poorly lit. A little elbow grease and some traditional effects could have gone a long way on that one.

-The effects on Helena Bonham Carter's character were ghastly. I wasn't impressed with any of the CGI, but she was clearly the worst case.

-I don't want my Mad Hatter brooding. I don't care how much ass he kicks later with a claymore (which was one of the few things that worked for me), but of all the characters that could have worked as deep and a potential love interest for Alice, the Hatter isn't the right one.

-With the exception of Alice, I thought basically every performance in the thing was flat. Which is something you get when you're acting in front of a blue screen. Idon't blame Crispin Glover, Helena Bonham Carter, and Johnny Depp for mailing it in, because if I was acting against a techie painted blue, holding a stick with a face on it, I'd be wooden, too.

If Underland (and don't get me started on how stupid it is to call it Underland) is so great, and the real world is so fucking drab, and terrible and confining, why didn't Alice stay? She didn't owe any person back there anything, yet she returned anyway.

In short, I'm really sickened to see that the guy who made masterpieces like Big Fish, Beetlejuice, and Edward Scissorhands is behind this lazy, cliched, over-CGI-ed piece of Hollywoodized crap.

-The first twenty minutes were spent beating us over the head with what a unique and beautiful snowflake Alice is, and how drab the real world is. Plus they managed to throw in some really heavy handed references to Wonderland.

Um... yeah. The story is about Alice. The entire existence of Wonderland revolves around Alice. They make her important cause she kinda sorta is. I'd say that framing in the beginning was more about missing her dad and feeling out of place than going "hey look how unique and cool she is".

Would you rather they didn't reference Wonderland at all? Outside of the white roses, it wasn't what I'd call "heavy handed".

-The rabbit hole sequence was over animated, and poorly lit. A little elbow grease and some traditional effects could have gone a long way on that one.

-The effects on Helena Bonham Carter's character were ghastly. I wasn't impressed with any of the CGI, but she was clearly the worst case.

I thought the CGI was fine, really. Not worth arguing since a lot of people loved it and a lot of people hated it. It's a Tim Burton movie. Anyone expecting subtlety or practical effects was kidding themselves.

-I don't want my Mad Hatter brooding. I don't care how much ass he kicks later with a claymore (which was one of the few things that worked for me), but of all the characters that could have worked as deep and a potential love interest for Alice, the Hatter isn't the right one.

Umm... what? When is he ever even hinted as a love interest? Were you watching the Syfy series by mistake?

-With the exception of Alice, I thought basically every performance in the thing was flat. Which is something you get when you're acting in front of a blue screen. Idon't blame Crispin Glover, Helena Bonham Carter, and Johnny Depp for mailing it in, because if I was acting against a techie painted blue, holding a stick with a face on it, I'd be wooden, too.

I thought Carter was awesome, actually. Depp and Glover were in a weird position. They dialed it back a lot more than I thought they would, but I think that's preferable to letting them chew the shit out of every scene instead.

If Underland (and don't get me started on how stupid it is to call it Underland) is so great, and the real world is so fucking drab, and terrible and confining, why didn't Alice stay? She didn't owe any person back there anything, yet she returned anyway.

It's a land. It's Under the real world. It rhymes with Wonderland. There is no reason that the citizens of Wonderland would call it that. It made sense, and honestly, every single adaptation changes things and fucks around with the source material (most combine the Red Queen and the Queen of Hearts into the same character, for example.) That's why it lends itself so well to being retold a bunch of different ways over different eras.

As for her returning. The entire movie was about her making her own way in the world, using Wonderland as the backdrop for that story. If she didn't return, then her growth would have been for nothing. It wasn't about the world being drab. It was about finding her own place in it, which she wasn't going to do letting other people make decisions for her.

In short, I'm really sickened to see that the guy who made masterpieces like Big Fish, Beetlejuice, and Edward Scissorhands is behind this lazy, cliched, over-CGI-ed piece of Hollywoodized crap.

You said the following in this very thread.

I have no faith in Tim Burton, at all.

But then he made the exact movie that everyone expected him to and now you're "sickened"? Give me a break.