DCAU Talk

Hello, well I know everyone who loves the DCAU and listens to WFP, must watch the episodes out of order just for fun like I do. Sometimes you may notice something in an episode that you may not notice or forget about when you watch it for WFP. Well here, post your opinions, trivia, etc. Shows in the DCAU are as follows(for those who actually don't know)

The series include:

Batman: The Animated Series(1992-1995)

Superman: The Animated Series (1996-2000)

The New Batman Adventures (1997-2000)

Batman Beyond (1999-2002)

Static Shock(2000-2004)

The Zeta Project(2001-2002)

Justice League(2001-2004)

Teen Titans(2003-2006) could be discussed here too, as most people believe its in continuity.

Justice League: Unlimited(2004-2006)

Web-I-Sodes:

Gotham Girls(2004)

Lobo(2004)

The DCAU also included the films:

Batman: The Mask of the Phantasm(1993)

Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero(1998)

Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker(2000)

Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman(2003)

DCAU Video Games:

Batman: The Animated Series(1993) {GB}

The Adventures of Batman & Robin (1994) {SNES,Genesis, Sega CD, Game Gear}

Superman 64(1999) {N64}

Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker(2000) {N64, PS, GBC}

Batman: Gotham City Racer(2001) {PS}

Batman: Chaos in Gotham(2001) {GBC}

Batman: Vengeance(2001) {PS2, X-BOX,GC,GBA,PC}

Superman: Shadow of Apokolips (2002) {PS2, GC}

Justice League: Injustice For All (2002) {GBA}

Superman: Countdown to Apokolips (2003) {GBA}

Batman: The Rise of Sin Tzu(2003) {PS2,X-BOX,GBA,GC}

Justice League Chronicles (2003) {GBA}

The Batman and Legion of Super-Heroes isn't in continuity, but there are similar voice actors, who were in the DCAU. If anyone has the comic book, go ahead and tell us about them.

In the JLU Episode "Far From Home" we see meet Brainiac 5 who happens to look exactly like his comic book look. We also see stills of the 3 Legioneers who were in the Superman: TAS episode "New Kids in Town" and they look exactly the same, but why in the Superman episode does Brainiac have a mullet and look nothing like the Brainiac we see in the JLU episode?

And in the JLU episode in the fight simulator did you notice the obvious Hulk reference when Kara has to fight that Hulk look-a-like?

Considering the Legion of Super-Heroes comic books are known for having the wonkiest continuity, maybe it's not the same Legion, so it might have been a bit of a gag.

And I've never been sure, but I think the guy who looks like the Hulk is a DC character.

And I've never been sure, but I think the guy who looks like the Hulk is a DC character.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking until I rembered it wasn't a real fight. But even if it is a DC character, you know its a reference. TThe way he lands on the ground and pounds his fist, is the same as when Hulk goes "Hulk Smash"

Considering the Legion of Super-Heroes comic books are known for having the wonkiest continuity, maybe it's not the same Legion, so it might have been a bit of a gag.

The mullet haired Brainiac 5 was dumb artwork. Probably one of my least favorite animations, I'm glad they redesigned him to look like he does in the comics. I was also impressed on how they took care of explaining how a machine can have an organic offspring, since the DCAU Brainiac is way different from the real comic book Brainiac.

as most people believe its in continuity.

Actually I doubt that's true. Mike and James are the only people I've heard who believe it's in continuity. The biggest DCAU fan base at Toonzone pretty much unanimously agrees that it's not in continuity.

And the DCAU is awesome. I'm currently doing a blog that compiles a whole bunch of reviews I've written for it. It's in my signature.

On the topic of 'Far From Home', am I the only one who thought that that was one of the most poorly developed romances ever in a cartoon series?

And the DCAU is awesome. I'm currently doing a blog that compiles a whole bunch of reviews I've written for it. It's in my signature.

On the topic of 'Far From Home', am I the only one who thought that that was one of the most poorly developed romances ever in a cartoon series?

I would love too read those reviews, very cool. I did a similar thing making myself an episode guide. I'm now doing it for my Hercules and Xena sets.

The romance from "Far From Home" wasn't developed well I agree, but I guess you just have to think of it as "Love at first site" even though Supergirl's first reaction was trying to knock him out, lol.

Thanks, I'm working on 'The Demon's Quest' right now and it's a real toughie.

For discussion's sake, am I the only one who thinks that 'Legends' is the best episode of Justice League's first season?

"Legends" was an amazing episode, but I rank "The Savage Time" slightly ahead of it.

1.) The Savage Time

2.) Legends

3.) Injustice for All

Yeah, 'Savage Time' would probably be just after 'Legends'. I just thought it was the most perfect tribute to the Silver Age of comics I've ever seen, it had an actual cliffhanger, and the ending was beautiful.

Yeah, I admit I my eyes teared up at the end.

Does anyone have plans or would want to get in on making the ultimate guide to the DCAU? Obviously, this is easier said than done. There's several cartoons, one debatable cartoon's continuity, video games and comic books, but it would be great to get something like this. It would be something like the Smallville Companion, but in chronological order, featuring interviews with voice cast and writers, animators and production company. What the series has had an impact on, etc.

That would be awesome. Too bad I haven't read any of the comics or played most of the video games. I don't know, but if it's supposed to be the DC ANIMATED Universe, you'd think that it'd just stick to the cartoons. Now I could do that.

I've actually memorized every episode's animation studio...

There was one guy, Trevor Balena, who made some commentaries for DCAU episodes, but never got around to getting very far. I would love to tackle a project like that, doing commentaries over every single episode of the DCAU.

I've actually written into several film studios about doing more fan commentaries. Especially for shows and movies that the actual makers don't participate in. But none of them have responded. It would take a lot of money and ma power to conduct such a project. I'm looking into how to start something like this, but the hardest & probably most expensive part would be the interviews. We would also need WB & DC's permission, since its a licensed franchise. The way to deal with the comic books and video games would mainly be tackled on interviews about how they were made, why and some screenshots. Also, I'm pretty sure if we had the backing of the studio, we'd get access to all the DCAU continuity comics.

Technically, you can do all the fan commentaries you want as long as they're distibuted seperately of the shows themselves. That's how Rifftrax gets away with it.

Yeah, but I mean as a bonus material..obviously it would be fans who won't get anything, but maybe a free copy of the DVD, but it woulds be nice.

Ever notice in "Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker" how when Batman hands Powers over to the police, the one cop salues him, lol I always thought it was funny.

Also, why did he decide to bring the dog Ace with him? I mean, Ace does turn out to be helpful, but he defends Terry once and suddenly he's the new Robin of sorts. I don't know, it always bothered me that Batman would take a dog to have a final fight with The Joker.

Ever notice in "Batman Beyond: The Return of the Joker" how when Batman hands Powers over to the police, the one cop salues him, lol I always thought it was funny.

Also, why did he decide to bring the dog Ace with him? I mean, Ace does turn out to be helpful, but he defends Terry once and suddenly he's the new Robin of sorts. I don't know, it always bothered me that Batman would take a dog to have a final fight with The Joker.

Terry brought Ace because he had more problems fending off Woof than any of the Jokerz during the movie. Ace was the equalizer and was about the only thing that was going to scare the shit out of Woof.

Terry brought Ace because he had more problems fending off Woof than any of the Jokerz during the movie. Ace was the equalizer and was about the only thing that was going to scare the shit out of Woof.

Oh yeah, I was wondering how could Bruce, as smart as he is could let that happen. That explains it. Thanks

Well I wonder if anyone knows that Paul Dini was a freelance writer on He-Man & The Masters of the Universe in the 80's(as well as other Filmation shows). He's also a writer & producer in the DCAU. In the JL episode "In Blackest Night: Part II" Toward the end of the episode one of the Manhunter's says He-Man's famous line "I've Got the Power"

It may or may not be a tribute, but its a cool coincidence...

Also he had a small cameo in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back

Here is a review for The Adventures of Batman & Robin video game for SNES and Sega Genesis(not the Sega CD Version):

Here is a review for Batman: Vengeance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEwDVpJmK_o

Here's a review for Superman 64 for the N64 and Commodore 64(the first one is a DCAU based game)

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/35929.html