View Askewniverse Talk

You've seen the DCAU Talk I posted up a couple nights ago, I thought why not a thread for all things Jay And Silent Bob. Most everyone here will most likely know who they are or at least have seen one of the films. The View Askewniverse was created by Kevin Smith, who has penned several comic books, including the Elektra Reborn series and the Superman Lives script that was rejected by Tim Burton(when he was attached to directed Superman V). He also wrote a draft to the Green Hornet movie and so on. This will focus on just the world that Jay & Silent Bob are in:

The films are:

Clerks(1994)

Mallrats(1995)

Chasing Amy(2007)

Dogma(1999)

Scream III(2000)

Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back(2001)

Clerks II(2006)

The TV Shows and Spots include:

The Flying Car(2004)

Clerks: The Lost Scene(2004)

Clerks Uncensored: The Animated Series(2000)

Degrassi: The Next Generation(there are at least 5 episodes featuring the characters, but as fictional)

My Name is Earl makes references to the View Askewniverse

Clerks: Live Action Pilot(this didn't involve Kevin Smith)

MTV TV with Jay & Silent Bob(which can be seen on the Clerks X DVD

VH1's I Love the 90s (2005) ("Jay and Silent Bob Re-name Your Favorite TV Show" & "Guys We'd Go Gay For")

VH1's I Love the '90s: Part Deux (2005)

Yes, Dear(2004) "Premiere" Episode

Video on Trial(2006)

Comic Books(which is why this is under Comic Book Adaptations)include:

Clerks

Chasing Dogma(a bridge between the time Jay & Silent Bob leaving Chasing Amy, to their intro in Dogma)

Bluntman & Chronic(comic series featuring the characters Holden and Banky create in Chasing Amy)

Jay & Silent Bob in Walt Flanigan's Dog(a story in Oni Double Feature #1)

Bluntman & Chronic in The Derris Affair Part 1(in Oni Double Feature #12)

Where's the Beef(a gap depicted in the evens in Clerks II)

On the Perils of Cinema

Music Videos include:

Can't Even Tell by Soul Asylum(for the film Clerks)

Build Me Up Buttercup by The Goops(for Mallrats film)

Because I Got High by Afroman(for Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back-unedited video version)

Kick Some Ass by Stroke 9(for Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back--edited for nudity)

You're wrong about Degrassi. Kevin is himself not Silent Bob and Jay is just Mewes.

I know that, but they play "fictional" versions of themselves playing Jay & Silent Bob in a "fictional" film being shot at Degrassi called Jay & Silent Bob Go Canadian.

It sucks the DVD only has 3 episodes with them, not all 5 episodes.

I am so glad he is finally done with Jay and Silent Bob. I was afraid he would be 50 still playing him.

I'd like to see him write more movies and not direct them. Even he'll admit he sucks as a director. He's an amazing writer though.

Umm, he doesn't admit he's a bad director, he just hates writing and directing action sequences. He does have plans for more J&SB films, but its not the right time.

I am so glad he is finally done with Jay and Silent Bob. I was afraid he would be 50 still playing him.

I'd like to see him write more movies and not direct them. Even he'll admit he sucks as a director. He's an amazing writer though.

Umm, he doesn't admit he's a bad director, he just hates writing and directing action sequences. He does have plans for more J&SB films, but its not the right time.

He admits it all the time. He's the first to admit that he's interested in dialogue to the exclusion of everything else, like camera work, lighting and movement. I've heard him say on more than one occasion that he has a very specific idea on how his dialogue should be read, down to how syllables are emphasized, but that he's just not that interested in the other stuff. However, he does it in that "I'm saying it before anyone else has a chance to" tone while waiting for someone on his message board to jump in and tell him no, he wrong, and how great he is.

I'm a fan of Smith, but whenever I hear him talk about himself I want to punch something.

He admits it all the time. Listen to any commentary on any of his movies.

He admits it all the time. He's the first to admit that he's interested in dialogue to the exclusion of everything else, like camera work, lighting and movement. I've heard him say on more than one occasion that he has a very specific idea on how his dialogue should be read, down to how syllables are emphasized, but that he's just not that interested in the other stuff. However, he does it in that "I'm saying it before anyone else has a chance to" tone while waiting for someone on his message board to jump in and tell him no, he wrong, and how great he is.

I'm a fan of Smith, but whenever I hear him talk about himself I want to punch something.

He admits it all the time. Listen to any commentary on any of his movies.

That's him joking around. He probably doesn't consider himself a great director, but when it comes to his own written material he's very proud of himself.

And yes, he calls himself a bad director so he can get that daily ego boost when fans say he's great.

Although, he does admit, quite frequently he's a lazy writer.

I've listen to almost every commentary he has done:

Clerks

Clerks X

Clerks II

Mallrats

Chasing Amy

Dogma

J&SBSB

J&SB: Do Degrassi

Clerks: Uncensored

Orgazmo

Jersey Girl

An Evening With Kevin Smith DVD's are like stand up commentaries.

I've listen to almost every commentary he has done:

Clerks

Clerks X

Clerks II

Mallrats

Chasing Amy

Dogma

J&SBSB

J&SB: Do Degrassi

Clerks: Uncensored

Orgazmo

Jersey Girl

An Evening With Kevin Smith DVD's are like stand up commentaries.

Orgazmo?

That's a Trey Parker movie, well the one I'm thinking of is.

Also he did a commentary for Donnie Darko. Not one of his movies, but he still did a commentary.

I'm pretty sure of this.(I'm not saying I know anymore as of what happened in the video game thread, or what i said in the awesome video thread.)

Oh and an evening with Kevin Smith is a great Q and A, not a commentary, in any way. Oh and if you haven't seen Kevin Smith:Evening Harder Don't, it's shit.

Oh and an evening with Kevin Smith is a great Q and A, not a commentary, in any way. Oh and if you haven't seen Kevin Smith:Evening Harder Don't, it's shit.

Quoted for truth. Despite my tendency to become very angry indeed when the man speaks, the first one was hilarious. The second one was a huge waste of time.

Quoted for truth. Despite my tendency to become very angry indeed when the man speaks, the first one was hilarious. The second one was a huge waste of time.

Evening Harder isn't as good as the first one, but that's because he talks all the time, so he doesn't have many new stories to tell. I listen to his podcast too.

Orgazmo?

Also he did a commentary for Donnie Darko. Not one of his movies, but he still did a commentary.

I'm pretty sure of this.(I'm not saying I know anymore as of what happened in the video game thread, or what i said in the awesome video thread.)

Yeah, he does a commentary on Orgazmo, as well as Weird Al Yankovic. It's not a feature length one though.

Evening Harder isn't as good as the first one, but that's because he talks all the time, so he doesn't have many new stories to tell. I listen to his podcast too.

Orgazmo?

Yeah, he does a commentary on Orgazmo, as well as Weird Al Yankovic. It's not a feature length one though.

But he refuses to bitch about things like he did in the first one, like the way he talked about the superman script he wrote in the first live show, that was funny. He just says that theirs nothing more he can talk about, so why the fuck would he do a show with nothing of interest to talk about. Especially when he knew it would be filmed!

I downloaded a few episodes of smodcast and was horribly disappointed, it was just them talking crap, i didn't laugh once.

But each to their own.

The commentary, that sounds like the normal Trey Parker commentary were they talk for five minutes then leave. Or Chris Nolan on Insomnia. Completely off topic, but never watch a Will Ferrell movie with commentary. They are boring and the guys who do them think they are hilarious with the shit they say, but really its boring and doesn't make the movies look any good, in fact, I hated talladega Nights after hearing the commentary.