Tron Legacy

Just saw this an hour ago.

It wasn't quite what I expected, but that may be a good thing.

Judging by the first film and the trailers for this one, I expected a lot more action and a faster pace than what we got. This is a rather subdued film, only really getting crazy for about 30mins or so.

While the first movie was a bright, fun, 80s-cheesefest with high adventure and a sort of magical giddiness, this one's more of a character drama. The vast majority of it's spent with the characters just sort of standing around and talking about all the philosophical epiphanies that logically should have been in the first movie. While it does work, I have to admit that I spent a good portion of the middle of the movie thinking, "come ON! get back into the action!" What action there is is great, though one major problem is that about half the action scenes take place before the plot or characters are entirely set up, so the audience is left with very little in the way of emotional tension.

The soundtrack only really kicks into high gear a few times in the movie; the rest of it's very low-key (sort of like the stuff you hear in Hans Zimmer's Batman scores). However, when it gets it right (in the opening scenes, the techno club, and the finale), it gets it DAMN right. Whether through electronic beats or orchestral swells, Daft Punk manages to craft an emotional and exciting audio narrative. They should've been contracted to do film scores a long time ago.

There was one particular plot element that I (and a lot of the other people in the theater) found particularly lacking, perhaps on a more personal level. (mark this one a SUPER-spoiler; don't open 'til you've seen the movie)

The reveal that Rinzler was TRON was rather... lacking. I'd already figured it out before I walked into the theater, just from the trailers and promotional materials (because Rinzler is the only named character with a full opaque mask, and he has the same four glowing dots on his chest that TRON had), so I spent the entire time just waiting for TRON to turn good. The flashback scene was great, but kept TRON out of focus and in the background for the most part. When the "turning" moment finally came, it was a bit too short. (though his "I fight for the Users" line nearly made me flip out with joy)

He seemed to be "purified" by the water in the sea of simulation, but didn't de-rez, so I'm assuming he'll be back in a sequel?

That reminds me. Cillian Murphy just jumped into the movie without anyone's notice, apparently playing the son of Ed Dillinger?! Hell YES! He only had one scene—which is odd for such a high-level actor—leading me to believe that he's going to come back in the sequels. Which would be AMAZING.

But back to TRON... a lot of the people in the audience were waiting until after the credits to see if maybe there'd be a scene where TRON crawls up out of the waters, alive and well. Alas, we'll have to wait and see.

So help me, if there's not a sequel or two to this movie, I'll be very let down. There's way too much material laid out here to just be left alone for another 28 years.

One last thing: During one of the early scenes (dealing with Garett Hedlund being a rebellious kid), my friend leaned over and said "he'd make a GREAT Terry McGinnis." And he really would. He's a tiny bit old for the role, but man, he's really got that type of character down. And he can do action. Long as Beechen's not writing the script, that's a movie I'd like to see.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was a really well rounded review, KnightWing. Good job.

Your comments regarding the lack of action has me puzzled. It's a 3D Tron movie and it's not wall to digital wall with action? I'm surprised but also hopeful. Have they actually endeavored to tell a good story here? That would be great.

Also, your point regarding early action and emotional tension is very insightful. There is nothing wrong with action eye candy during a prologue sequence to pique our interest but, eventually, the audience has to care about the characters if we are to invest ourselves in their jeopardy. This is especially true for high concept genre pictures like Tron. We need to ground ourselves in characters before we can fully buy into the fantastical world they inhabit.

I'm definately going to try to see this in a theatre. Your review has made me curious.

I shouldn't have bothered with 3-D, although I did like the idea that it only kicked in when they were in the CG world. Overall I thought this was just ok, a three star film. To be honest, I thought the Matrix explored the possibilities of this concept far better, it was like a looming presence over this film throughout. It was fun on a basic action adventure level but there wasn't really much to it overall.

Actually I've realised what annoyed me most about Tron: Legacy.

The title character is barely in it, and in the end gets only the most prefunctionary redemption. We never even see his real face again. Seriously, what major movie franchise would reduce it's title character to a evil flunky in a sequel and then never show his face after he turns good again? It's not like it wasn't possible, they had him mask-less earlier in the film.

Actually I've realised what annoyed me most about Tron: Legacy.

The title character is barely in it, and in the end gets only the most prefunctionary redemption. We never even see his real face again. Seriously, what major movie franchise would reduce it's title character to a evil flunky in a sequel and then never show his face after he turns good again? It's not like it wasn't possible, they had him mask-less earlier in the film.

That was the worst part about it for me, too. And going by general fanboy reaction, it's the worst part of the movie for all the fans of the original film.

I mean, I'm not unhappy with the story we got, and if TRON hadn't been in the movie at all, I'dve probably been fine with it. But since we got that tease and reveal, it seemed rather disappointing. However, they totally left that open for a sequel, and I'd be really happy if TRON had the same role in the next film that Kevin Flynn had in this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw this earlier this week, liked it a fair bit, haven't seen Tron yet but I have it on my flash drive. Very pretty (I want Jeff Bridges' jacket, NOW), good balance of action and quieter moments, and a wholly unexpected God allegory to the whole thing. But, if Jeff Bridges were god, I think I could solve a lot of my issues with religion. :P

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

As much as Tron: Legacy wasn't flat-out amazing, I'm absolutely down for a sequel. There's no reason they can't still make a great, fun movie with that universe. And bringing back Dillinger Sr.? Excellent.

I was more squeeing because Dillinger isn't talking to his father. He's talking to the MCP.

Yeah, that was an odd thing... he calls him "dad", but the username reads "MCTRL" and it speaks in the MCP's voice. So... did Ed Dillinger Sr. digitize himself, thereby becoming a new MCP?

It reminds me of the TRON 2.0 game, where the story went that Laura Bradley had been partially digitized (and killed) in a lab accident, but Alan Bradley was able to take some of her digitized DNA and craft it into a new "mother" program called Ma3a. Maybe something like that happened to Dillinger Sr., and he is now a program?

Food for geek thought.