X-Men: First Class

I've rewatched the original X-trilogy to help me judge this film, and I've come to the realisation that 'The Last Stand' is actually pretty decent if you can overlook who dies, the unneccessary mutants involved and how short it was. It doesn't hold a candle to either of its predecessors and I'd probably rate First Class above it, but it's nowhere near the abysmal failure that it's reputed to be. For one thing, it's a damn sight better than "Wolverine"

To be fair. That's like saying getting kicked in the stomach is a damn sight nicer than getting kicked in the balls.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The X-Men trilogy, for me, is like a high school girlfriend.

When X-Men 1 came out, I thought, "Hey, this X-Men girl seems pretty cool. I think I'll ask her out." By the time X-Men 2 rolled around, we were so in love that I couldn't imagine anything better. I loved everything about her. Wolverine, Cyclops, Magneto, Nightcrawler, Professor X. But when The Last Stand came out, everything was different. Not only was she not the same girl I'd dated for the last six years, but she'd killed off my favorite X-Man (yes, it's Cyclops, sue me), mostly butchered the Dark Phoenix saga by making it Wolverine-centric, and killed Professor X for no reason other than to give the "final" film in the "trilogy" more impact. That's another thing. When was it ever supposed to be a trilogy? That was something she suddenly just started saying in 2006. I should have known right then that it wasn't going to work. She was killing our future together, and for what? One last fling together before she went and did spin-offs with Wolverine and a bunch of C-level mutants in a 60s-era film that can't even decide if it's in continuity or not?

The Last Stand might not have been abominable, but it was a crap way to suddenly end the story.

When X-Men 1 came out, I thought, "Hey, this X-Men girl seems pretty cool. I think I'll ask her out." By the time X-Men 2 rolled around, we were so in love that I couldn't imagine anything better. I loved everything about her. Wolverine, Cyclops, Magneto, Nightcrawler, Professor X. But when The Last Stand came out, everything was different. Not only was she not the same girl I'd dated for the last six years, but she'd killed off my favorite X-Man (yes, it's Cyclops, sue me), mostly butchered the Dark Phoenix saga by making it Wolverine-centric, and killed Professor X for no reason other than to give the "final" film in the "trilogy" more impact. That's another thing. When was it ever supposed to be a trilogy? That was something she suddenly just started saying in 2006. I should have known right then that it wasn't going to work. She was killing our future together, and for what? One last fling together before she went and did spin-offs with Wolverine and a bunch of C-level mutants in a 60s-era film that can't even decide if it's in continuity or not?

The Last Stand might not have been abominable, but it was a crap way to suddenly end the story.

:bowdown:

:bowdown: :bowdown: Post of the Day!!! :bowdown: :bowdown:

• 4 weeks later...

I finally saw it. I liked it, but it's far from perfect. There seemed to be no reason for Angel's turn since 2 minutes before they were all best friends. Later she's trying to kill them?

There was no need for the end scene with Magneto. It came off cheesy.

I didn't understand the limits of Shaw's powers. Couldn't Eric have just crushed his head with the metal helmet he was wearing?

It's hard to judge how much time passed. It had to have been at least months since Eric and Charles traveled all over the world meeting with mutants. Also, they must have had a lousy sales pitch since only a few people joined them.