X-Men: First Class

There is a certain feel and language Singer created in the original "X-Men" in 2000 that helped set the standard for all the superhero movies that have come since then

:huh:

I think that's accurate. All superhero films since have had a similar style in terms of how they portray the world around the heroes that's markedly difference from the Batmans and Supermans that came before. Its the original modern mainstream superhero movie.

I am going to be honest and say I think that's giving it way too much credit.

How old were you when that film came out? I remember as a comics fan being hugely buzzed to see the first genuine adaptation of notable Marvel heroes. In hindsight it's not a masterpiece, but in terms of relating the source material to a more grounded world it was completely revolutionary. If Blade was the clue that it could be done X-men was the absolute proof.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Tim Burton's Batman set the standard for future comic book movies? I don't believe so.

Yes, it did. Look at The Mask, Men in Black, Mystery Men, and nearly every other superhero / comic book movie of the 1990s. They did exactly what I stated earlier: cloned Burton's Batman. As much as I dislike that movie, it was hugely influential when it came to the cinematic portrayal of superheroes.

I think I probably agree with everyone here 80% of the time. I just argue the remaining 20% a lot more.

But, um, yeah, B&R didn't "force" Marvel or DC/Warner to do anything. Companies make movies because they want to make money, not because they're trying to preserve the integrity of the art form.

Good comic book movies go back to Superman: The Movie, and to a certain extent, Batman: The Movie (from 1966). The latter may have been ridiculous, but it was very accurate to the comics of the time, and was very good in the comedic niche of Batman. Batman (1989) kicked off the trend of "dark" comic book movies, which Blade expanded upon.

X-Men was a hybrid dark/"normal" superhero film that helped shape Spider-Man and other films. Of course, Spider-Man was probably already in pre-production by the time X-Men was released (and at a different studio), so it might have actually not been inspired by X-Men. Spider-Man, in turn, set the standard for the "normal" superhero movie, with a certain blend of comic book silliness and realism.

Oh dear. Did not love it.

I'll go through these as they come to me

-Beast's blue makeup was fucking terrible. How can they get it so right in Last Stand and get it so wrong here?

-The whole thing was a mess, they skip from country to country with no real sense of momentum or purpose.

-Sebastian Shaw/Mr Sinister and his cronies looked really out of keeping with the more grounded modern X-men aesthetic. Azazel is a cartoonish looking lackey with no character, look at Toad and Nightcrawler to see how guys with that physical potential can actually be explored. Emma Frost got a lot of screen time considering the zero character development we get from her, and that's purely because they got a name to play this vapid empty nothing of an evil sidekick. We never even find out the other one's name, they're just walking powers without identities.

-They would have done far better to place this in a purely fictional contexts as opposed to bringing the Cuban missile crisis into it. Throwing that whole thing in went way beyond providing this thing with a historical background, it distorted the whole film around it.

-Several of the students are never developed outside of Beast and Magneto. Angel Salvadore is little more than a little plot device. Havok could be any of 100 mutants.

Things they got right.

-The Wolverine cameo was great, I groaned when I heard he'd be in it but it was totally worth it.

-Fassbinder. He's every inch Magneto, and his arc is great.

-There's enough here to place it above Wolverine, but it's 2 1/2 stars. At most.

-Banshee was ok, as was Darwin, which made it actually effective when he got killed. It's just a damn shame his character basically never left that initial meeting room.

Just about better than Wolverine, worse than X-men 1 and 2, and I'm going to say worse than Last Stand (although it's been a while, that's just my first instinct). Frankly the first film looks like a masterpiece of character introduction compared to this. I'm most disappointed in Matthew Vaughan, this is the first film he's made that I've not been a big fan of.

OK, so the positive reviews for this film are starting to irk me, I'm not usually this far off the mark with people I respect. Seriously, nobody thought this smacked a little too much of Austin Powers? The villain is running around in a 60's style suit on his own private specially decorated submarine with a sexy henchwoman and a crackpot scheme? Mr Sinister? Elliott Carver? Sebastian Shaw? Dr Evil? They're the SAME GUY. Does nobody else see this, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

What is the rule on saying fuck in a PG-13 movie anyway?

You can say it once or twice but it also has to be in a non-sexual context.

I very much enjoyed the movie. I wouldn't compare Shaw completely with Dr. Evil since Shaw wasn't supposed to be a comedic character. I will admit that the villains never got much to them outside of just blindly following Shaw but then, ehh, the kids mostly got some good characterization. Really, I heavily enjoyed the film and will probably get it as something to throw on the tv as background stuff.

About to see it. Hope it exceeds my middling expectations.

Just saw it. My thoughts...

FUCKING AWESOME!!! Has the depth, character beats, and epic action lacking in the earlier X-films. I'm so happy that I'm eating my earlier, less-than-kind words about the film from months prior to its release!

After this one and Thor, Green Lantern and Captain America have a lot to live up to.

I didn't love it. Fassbender was incredible. He carried the film, kicking and screaming. It was about 20 minutes too long and the last act feels as if it suffered from prequel-itis, shoehorning everything to fit continuity.

I didn't love it. Fassbender was incredible. He carried the film, kicking and screaming. It was about 20 minutes too long and the last act feels as if it suffered from prequel-itis, shoehorning everything to fit continuity.

Oh thank god, I thought I was alone on this. The feedback has been so near unanimously positive that I was considering going back again just to see if I missed something, it's nice to know it's not just me.

Xavier ending up in the wheelchair? Did not have to happen in this film. That bothered me the most, I think.

Why not? We know it's coming so you might as well get it over with.

But they really just burned through the whole Charles/Eric relationship in a very short time period. I can't imagine them still calling each other friends at the start of the first X-men film if all they did was hang out for a couple of weeks in the 60's. I much preferred the idea they presented in X3, where Charles and Eric were still working together as recently as 15 years earlier and had a long partnership prior to that. It makes their split much more interesting.

I'd have been much happier if they actually were going with a new series and had just sowed the seeds of Magneto's split here, had him turn on Charles and cripple him at the end of the second or third film.

Xavier was also shown walking in the X3 prologue and Wolverine, so that makes no sense.

They threw out a LOT of continuity when they made Wolverine and even more here. For some reason a lot of people are happy about that but really all it did was irritate me, in my book if you're going to show Wolverine and Mystique like that then you've got to keep canon on the whole damn thing. Yes I know Superman Returns, Rocky and countless horror franchises threw films away all the time, but this is a big franchise that's never truly dipped into obscurity. You shouldn't mess with it like they have.