X-Men: First Class

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure that's how you can make those events fit the film timeline. I'd just prefer that they hadn't blown their entire load in this one film. It's a rare case where I think I would have enjoyed it MORE if they'd set up a sequel.

I'm sure that's how you can make those events fit the film timeline. I'd just prefer that they hadn't blown their entire load in this one film. It's a rare case where I think I would have enjoyed it MORE if they'd set up a sequel.

If they set up a series and the first one flops where would that leave them? The first one is almost always a stand alone story with a little room for a sequel just in case.

Regarding Xavier losing use of his legs, here's a short list of continuity errors and issues I've spotted in the films since X3 -How is the glimpse of Scott as a teenager in the 60's reconcile with later films, where he's a teen in the 1980's? How do you explain the Wolverine film's complete abandonment of Alkali Lake as a location, instead saying Wolverine got his Adamantium elsewhere? Why does Professor X have no idea how Magneto is blocking his powers in the first film if the helmet has it's origins here? Why does Professor X say that Magneto helped him invent and build Cerebro if Hank McCoy made it long before Xavier and Magneto set foot in that facility? Why does the government have no idea about the blackbird if they were the ones who designed and built it? Why are there two Emma Frosts between this film and Wolverine? How come the first three films clearly show Wolverine's first memory being escape from Alkali lake when the Wolverine film shows his memory was wiped later on? How did Sabretooth go from erudite psycho to dim-witted muscle?

I'm sure if I watched closely I could come up with dozens more. There's little stuff like the casting of Kitty Pryde or short references to Hank McCoy (human-appearing in x2) and Moira McTaggart (scottish scientist in X3) that don't match up, but I can forgive little stuff like that. It's mostly where characters and events have been clearly spelled out and then thrown away that I get annoyed.

Sorry, but if you're going to make a spin off with X-men in the title and use the same actors for major roles then yes, they're in the same continuity. Everything else is just confusing the fanbase.

I forgive First Class more that Wolverine on that, because it is a sort of soft reboot and it's coming off the back of another X-men film that completely threw continuity out the window. Doesn't excuse Wolverine in any way.

Saw it last night.

Agree that if you use the same actors for the characters, then it's the same continuity.

Preston, you've not raged enough about JJ. FUCK SHE WAS TERRIBLE. But she is worse than terrible, she brings zero, zero to just about anything I've seen her in. There is no difference between this character and her character in Unknown. Keanu Reeves has more emotional range than her, maybe even Vin Diesel! Fuck, she can't get off my screens quick enough. Every scene with her was just painful.

Agree that Fassbender made the film, but I was going in expecting that, so maybe I'm being biased. I'm not sure about him in the last 10 minutes or so leading the group. His revenge/loner character was very, very good, will be interesting to see how he plays the leader role. I think

McAvoy needs to get more credit than he probably will. While it wasn't leap out the screen great, his performance was the glue for the movie, giving a lot of the characters more depth than they probably would have on a less performance of Xavier.

Nick Hoult was surprisingly good as Hank, and I'm the opposite of Stav, I thought his Beast looking pretty good. Weird thing is, there is a lot of room for improvement, but I actually can't see a sequel being better than this?

The Erik/Charles relationship was the stand out of this movie and they shot their load with it, so any sequels will struggle to be as good from a character development point of view.

I can't really give it more than a 2.5. Fassbender was amazing, but Jones was twice as bad as he was good.

Yeah, I didn't like it.

- Opening scene was promising, though it could have just as easily been a part of any of the other movies. The fact that he was so pissed about his mother dying but made literally zero attempt to hurt Shaw was kind of silly, especially considering that he spends the whole rest of the movie attempting to do that very thing.

- Why would Mystique ever have to brush or shower?

- Do her and Charles say a single word to each other in any of the other films? This "oldest friend" thing sorta came out of nowhere. Same goes for Hank.

- In addition to turning her skin into diamond, Emma has gained the lesser known "Benjamin Button" ability, which somehow de-ages her and turns her into Silverfox's sister.

- So Moira is a CIA agent that later becomes a geneticist. She's what we call an overachiever.

- January Jones has officially surpassed Halle Barry as the worst actor in this franchise. Congrats to her.

- This is a very modern looking 60s. It's strange, cause every time we're with the Hellfire Club, the fashions and sets are pretty consistent for the time. Everything else is a crapshoot.

- Don't think Oliver Platt's character was ever named.

- So now Hank built Cerebro. Okay.

- They really jump from place to place with little to no effort. It's not like they had the teleporter.

- Wolverine cameo was fine, albeit a bit forced.

- Charles had the power to stop Erik from rushing into that building but decided it was a better idea to chase him instead?

- Darwin was a waste, and given the loosely defined nature of his powers, he should have been able to survive that.

- Ray Wise as the Secretary of State was great if only because it reminded me of when he was the president in Command and Conquer.

- All of the time spent on the Cuban missile stuff could have been much better spent on developing guys like Havoc and Banshee. You get no real sense that this "first class" really means anything for the future of mutants and Xavier mentoring a group of kids that only look to be about 3 years his junior was awkward.

- That Mystique arc was rushed to all hell. Hank and her have one argument and then she goes right to Erik for the rebound fuck. One of Magneto's unknown powers is the ability to fuck a completely different personality into a character we just spent 90 minutes getting to know.

- This Beast makeup looks miles better than the X3 look.

- I don't think the Hellfire Club get even 20 minutes of total screen time in the whole two hour movie.

- Michael Ironside cameo was random.

- Does anyone else find it more than a little backwards that the most evil and corrupt person in Magneto's life, the guy that turned him into a monster and did all of these horrible things to him, is a mutant? Would it not have been more effective for him to come to his belief system on his own, instead of osmosis via Shaw?

- Shaw is now dead, but shows up in X2, along with, ironically enough, human Beast. One of Shaw's unknown powers is resurrection.

- One of Xavier's unknown powers is the ability to regain the use of his legs and age 30 years in the span of about 10.

- Erik sees Charles as a brother? You guys hung out for like, two weeks.

- Moira seemed to take that whole "leaving her to die" thing pretty well, even before she was mind wiped.

Judging it as a prequel to the other X movies, it's a lazy, inconsistent mess. It was frustrating to see them reference and foreshadow one thing only to ignore or completely change fifteen others. If this continues as a trilogy, then it's only going to get worse, with every major character meeting and interacting years before they actually meet in films that have already been made.

Judging it on its own, it's a movie that somehow manages to be dull and rushed at the same time, held together by some good performances. There was zero tension to be had throughout the whole thing and they wasted a good three movies' worth of development on the last half hour. It felt like they really really wanted to do the Xavier/Erik movie, but forgot they had to have other characters in it too.

Well, it didn't suck as much as the last two X-movies, so, grading on a curve, I can kinda understand.

The people that are blown away by it... I admire their ability to see the good in things.

Well, it didn't suck as much as the last two X-movies, so, grading on a curve, I can kinda understand.

The people that are blown away by it... I admire their ability to see the good in things.

By "last two X-movies", I hope you mean Wolverine and X3.