DC, Marvel, or other?

Guest GL_Nerd1337

Which comic book company do you prefer?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest GL_Nerd1337

I know this will generate untold amounts of controversy and back-and-forthness but, hey, that's how we get conversation.

DC, MARVEL, or OTHER? (please specify)

I added a poll to this.

Also, GL, twice already I've found myself moving your topics, so please pay attention to where you're posting them.

Everyone here knows I'm a Marvel guy. I prefer their stories, characters and world. It might sound odd, but I feel at home reading a Marvel comic book. When I pick up a DC book, I don't feel that warmth. That's not to say I dislike DC or its characters (the Kon-El Superboy, Impulse, the Tim Drake Robin, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Black Canary and the Kyle Rayner Green Lantern are some of my favorites), I just don't like what DC has been doing since about 2004.

I'm DC, but that's because my favourite hero is Batman and when i tried to read some Spider-Man, like a three issue pack called "with great power" about his origin, i got bored. Are their any Spider-Man or Marvel in general comics out right now that you can jump into without prior knowledge today. A little rant here, but why the fuck do comic writers think we read everything that has every been released so that people like me who are relatively knew in the past couple of years, or in R.I.P haven't read the comics from the 50's are lost!

Sorry off topic rant.

Always been a Marvel guy. There was a period in the 90s where I was buying DC almost exclusively, because they realized before Marvel did that you need writers as well as artists. But deep down in my heart, I have ALWAYS been all about Marvel.

Are their any Spider-Man or Marvel in general comics out right now that you can jump into without prior knowledge today.

I've only flipped through the Brand New Day stuff, so I can't say for sure, but I've been hearing that Amazing Spider-Man is really easy to get into right now.

Guest GL_Nerd1337

First off- Already said I was new to the forums in another post so sorry Yoda.

Second- I would have to say that I prefer DC comics. The reason for that is that all the DC super-heroes are timeless. When one dies or takes on another mantle there is always another subordinate waiting in line to take on said costume. Quite honestly my favorite graphic novels are "The Sinestro Corps War", "Tower of Babel", and "Infinite Crisis". I haven't got a hold of "DC: The New Frontier". But I must say my favorite Marvel superhero is The Cap by far.

Third- drqshadow I ask you to "Please Support With Facts" so please say why you prefer Marvel.

Are their any Spider-Man or Marvel in general comics out right now that you can jump into without prior knowledge today.

I've only flipped through the Brand New Day stuff, so I can't say for sure, but I've been hearing that Amazing Spider-Man is really easy to get into right now.

Thanks Yoda, I'll pick up an issue or two when i go and get the new issues of batman and detective. I hope to god they are not delayed.

What IIWY has taught me over thye past year + is that Marvel publishes a lot of turds...an inordinate amount of turds. A lot of that has to do with giving guys jobs who have no business writing comics beyond name recognition. I was saddened to hear about Kevin Smith at DC because I feel they're going the same route. Smith is one of the guys who's actually decent but doesn't have enough rfespect for the medium to finish a job.

What Vertigo books do you read, Dubs?

Preacher, obviously

Invisibles, which I just started

Transmetro - finally found volume two of this

Y: The Last Man, which I've grown to hate with almost Wanted-levels of fury

I've read all of the Death minis, but ironically, never got more than a few pages into Sandman, which I need to start again

Really starting to get into Hellblazer as well

Outside of that, I mostly just buy Green Arrow/Black Canary, Gravel, Return to Wonderland, and any random horror books I may happen upon.

It's funny, I'm the exact same way with Death and Sandman. I love the two Death miniseries, but have never read more than a few issues of Sandman.

Have you tried some current Vertigo series, such as Northlanders and Scalped? And what about Criminal for Marvel?

The art in Sandman does take some getting used to.

I think it's because you see the covers, which are always really grim and dark, but vibrant at the same time. Then you open it up and everything looks really muted and dull.