Your Guilty Pleasure Movies

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so everyone basically gave me flack for some of my choices and the definition of "guilty pleasure movies"

BUT I ask you this why can't there be such a thing as a good guilty pleasure movie?????

ex: The Batman/Superman Movie: Worlds Finest (if you liked it and who wouldn't right??)

Because "World's Finest" IS NOT A BAD MOVIE. You said it yourself--who wouldn't like it? That right there sinks any chance of it being called a "guilty pleasure movie"--the fact that the vast majority of moviegoers would probably rate it well.

A "guilty pleasure movie" implies that the movie in question is really bad in at least one aspect--acting, production, script, special effects, whatever--but more likely a combination of those things. "World's Finest" is brilliant in pretty much every aspect. It cannot be classified as a "guilty pleasure movie". EVER.

I don't know how I can spell it out for you any clearer than that.

Guest DCAUFan1051
ok so everyone basically gave me flack for some of my choices and the definition of "guilty pleasure movies"

BUT I ask you this why can't there be such a thing as a good guilty pleasure movie?????

ex: The Batman/Superman Movie: Worlds Finest (if you liked it and who wouldn't right??)

Because "World's Finest" IS NOT A BAD MOVIE. You said it yourself--who wouldn't like it? That right there sinks any chance of it being called a "guilty pleasure movie"--the fact that the vast majority of moviegoers would probably rate it well.

A "guilty pleasure movie" implies that the movie in question is really bad in at least one aspect--acting, production, script, special effects, whatever--but more likely a combination of those things. "World's Finest" is brilliant in pretty much every aspect. It cannot be classified as a "guilty pleasure movie". EVER.

did you even read the question in the middle there?

did you even read the question in the middle there?

I think I've answered that at least three times in this thread--including the post I made all of...4 minutes ago. Read the bold red area. :smile:

james in the process of not going balistic I'm going to say we can agree to disagree I still say my list is "GOOD Guilty Pleasure Movies"

I'm probably going to drop it after this, but it's not my opinion. It's just how it is. A guilty pleasure movie has a pretty clear-cut definition. Saying "good guilty pleasure movie" is like saying "sugarless Pixy Stix". It's an oxymoron.

But whatever. I'm getting dangerously close to an aneurysm.

"Guilty Pleasure" indicates you enjoy something you'd generally not want people knowing you watch.

If you don't feel any degree of embarassment at the prospect of someone walking in on you watching it, it's not a GUILTY pleasure. Its just a pleasure.

Okay, calm down everyone.

Deep breaths.

There are two ways to look at the term. The first is the one we've all been telling Mike: a bad movie you enjoy. However, the other is a movie (good or bad) you "shouldn't" enjoy because liking it defies social norms. For example, even though I'm 30, I really enjoy Recess: School's Out. If most people found out I liked a kids movie, they'd look down on me. Making it a guilty pleasure. In that way, the term "guilty pleasure" has nothing to do with the quality of the film.

But at the end of the day, if a movie is marketed towards you and it's good, it can't be a guilty pleasure.

The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) (it's so relentlessly strange that I ended up liking it)

Manos: The Hands of Fate (pretty much the same deal)

Bring It On (yes, the Dushku factor is in full force here)

EDIT: TMNT II: Secret of the Ooze (my brother watched this so much that I have a bizarre love for it, haha)

I actually want to see Wild Things. I was sad the one time I checked it out from the library and didn't have time to watch it. :(

• 7 months later...

Bring It On (Actually as part of my Kirsten Dunst crush at the time)

Stick It

Pride & Prejudice (liked the movie so much I watched it twice the day I bought it and then went out and got the miniseries)

Powerpuff Girls Movie

Cats & Dogs

Smokey & The Bandit

Crazy/Beautiful (Again, for Kirten Dunst)

Wild Things

Cruel Intentions

The Master of Disguise and Bride and Prejudice (the Indian version of Pride and Prejudice) come to mind.

Bride and Prejudice is horribly acted but some of the musical numbers are hilarious. "No Life Without Wife" is actually awesome. As is the cobra dance.

Daredevil (Director's Cut only)

X-men 3

Spider-man 3

Any animated movie really. Anytime I tell somebody not my age that I really enjoyed an animated movie, they're like "but it's a cartoon," "yeah but it was pretty good." Especially animated movies coming out now, the older ones I can get by saying nostalgia value.

Once

Lars and the Real Girl

Walk to remember

I'll go with Slothian on this one, too:

Enchanted.

Apparently since I was raised on the Disney films, princess stories don't trigger my masculine revulsion reflex.

Though it's not obvious at first, it's a huge tribute to (and self-referential parody of) the films from the "Disney Renaissance" of the 1989-1994 period, with tons of in-jokes and references. Also, it's nice for me because I always enjoy stories that deal with examining art and life mixing.

But my number one, all time favorite "bad movie:"

Speed Racer.

However, I would argue that it is in fact a brilliant film that only a very select few will understand, as it's directed at a very select audience that can enjoy the combination of blazingly fast video game visuals and animation-inspired direction. It's like the equivalent of a live-action Batman: The Brave and the Bold, but with Speed Racer.

• 2 weeks later...

With the exception of the rape scene, I have seen Showgirls and enjoyed it so many times. It's a terrible movie but the "dancing" and "acting" is just so terrible that it has become a comedy. It's even better if you watch it on TV. You lose Elizabeth Berkley's impersonation of a wave machine but you get digital bikini's that don't always move with the actress. The most astounding part of the movie is that it's a remake of one of my favorite movies of all time All About Eve.

The same goes for Troll 2. It's a movie about a bunch of vegetarian goblins (there are no trolls in the movie) who turn people into plants so they can eat them. How is that not genius!

Marie Antoinette and Moulin Rouge.

They're both exceedingly pretty, one has a good soundtrack, the other is just made of crack, and both make wonderful drinking games.

Funny story, we tried to do a drinking game for Moulin Rouge once. Someone had the bright idea of drinking everytime there was an edit. Yeah, there are some ideas that sound good when they're proposed. This wasn't even one of those.