Power Rangers

Kitch

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly Disney owns the rights to the Saban franchise and last I heard they were going to release "their" shows first, than according to sales they would begin to release that era. It may also be that they need to get the rights to the Saban Ninja Turtle show before they can release the Power Rangers In Space, since they are in that season for two episodes.

I just stay with powerrangerguy on youtube and watch it on there. I will go as far as Lost Galaxy than stop and maybe watch for the team up episodes and Dino Thunder (with Tommy as Black Dino Ranger).

However, I do believe a box set of the original series has been released outside the US, so if you have a Region Free DVD player, I'd say buy that set.

Guest DCAUFan1051

I will go as far as Lost Galaxy than stop and maybe watch for the team up episodes and Dino Thunder (with Tommy as Black Dino Ranger).

I liked Time Force and some of SPD but when I stopped was Jungle Fury and beyond, besides Dino Thunder.

Stupid question time: is it ABC family that is airing it again? ..... haven't had TV in awhile

• 2 months later...

Does this mean we might see more Power Rangers?

Even if I thought the show got shit for a while, and I stopped watching it, it's a good rights of passage for kids to be into Power Rangers.

Edit: I just read the thing, and yes, more episodes will be coming. Disney will be replacing Power Rangers with Marvel stuff, so yays all round.

I was thinking about it and I'm wondering if the new series is going to be just 20 episodes, which would be the shortest series in the history of the show (Alien Rangers was a just a different title sequence), or if this is going to be first half of the series with a back production of around 20 more episodes. I don't care either way, I'm just excited for a new series after Disney kinda screwed the dog.

I'd say it's 20 initial episodes, which if successful, will have them go back and do more. I don't get why Disney cancelled the show, considering I thought it would be a cash cow for Disney, I mean they get around 3 sets of toylines every year from the show, along with new costumes every year that the kids need to have.

Alien Rangers is still a part of MMPR to me. Though, looking at it that way, you could actually say In Space is the just a continuation of the back half of Turbo. Which I guess it was.

• 6 months later...

I'm kinda liking it. After the darkness that was RPM (in which nearly all the human race is killed), I can get behind some happy Power Rangers again. What makes me happier is that while the sentai series after Samurai is Angel themed or something, this is what we got to look forward to in a couple of year:

www_dotup_org1279916.jpg

Pirate Rangers, baby!

That looks AWESOME. The Pirate Rangers I mean.

Their zords are an eyepatch, a gold tooth, a bottle of rum, a doubloon, and a prostitute.

Then the Green RangARR shows up with the mega-Parrotzord. And Captain Jack Sparrow is their Zordon, communicating from within a giant bottle of rum.

Been doing some research on the new season. From what I'm seeing, Nick is doing a better job promoting the show than Disney or Fox ever did. They're actually embracing the show's history rather than denying it.

Also, apparently Samurai is going to extend for at least two years, rather than switching over as the Sentai does.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I just watched the new episode and wow, I didn't think the series could be saved, Disney roughed it up so much. I'm very impressed.

Now, first off, I'm 28 years old and absolutely LOVE the original series, from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers until Power Rangers In Space, I was glued to the screen whenever the series came on. As a child I knew how campy the show could be and how "lesson heavy" they can be as well, but the fight sequences were awesome and the Japanese footage, although grainy and old looking was impressive(as a child anyway). I watched a little of Lost Galaxy, but began to lose interest as the connection started to begin to loosen from the original series. I would continue to watch team up episodes for a few more seasons and did managed to watch Dino Thunder(which of course featured my favorite Ranger, Tommy), but ultimately the way Disney handled the series was a disgrace to those who were trying to stay a loyal viewer, replacing physically skilled actors, for pretty face non-actors began to really stop the shows credit as a series to keep watching. It also hasn't helped that all we get are "Best of..." DVD's featuring Disney related Power Rangers episodes, but I have managed to find the series I love so much on youtube.

OK, now that my history is up here, lol I must say this new series brought a new smile to my face, the opening theme is clearly a homage to the original series as its a remixed version of the original theme, with a new singer(I do miss Ron Wasserman though), right off the bat Saban is telling us this will kick ass and they care about us fans, old and new. I than see the opening scene and while we do get the typical "lesson" scenario, its not smacked n your face and we really don't have the whole episode constantly reminding us of this "lesson. " I really like that, it means we won't have that too much. The biggest smile I got of course was seeing Bulk(played again by Paul Schrier)returning. Now to those who don't know Paul Schrier hasn't really left the series for long period of time, while his Bulk character hasn't been seen since 2002's Wild Force, he has directed and voiced plenty of episodes for the past 18-19 years. The sad part I see is that we are given Spike, the badly imitated son of Skull, whose actors probably couldn't return for personal reasons(hopefully we get a cameo at least).

Now the other thing I noticed was that Saban has brought in what seems to be a bigger budget to the series, we are not just given Japanese footage mixed with American filmed footage, we get the special FX and no grain, unlike the original series.

All in the all the series shows promise, of course this series may creep up with some camp later on, but this is targeted to kids and young teenagers, so as a 28 year old I can't be too harsh, its not made for me. I still have my series, but its nice to see the franchise back in the creator that loves them again. Thank you Disney for letting your grip go

I saw the episode. Quite liked it.

One odd thing, though: it's a straight scene-for-scene adaptation of an episode of the original Japanese series, Samurai Sentai Shinkenger. It's not an adaptation of the first episode, though. It's an adaptation of the third episode.

It's bizarre. This first episode of PR: Samurai has no introduction to the rangers themselves or the storyline, except for a brief summary promo bit that aired during the commercial break before the show started. Even weirder is that various promos for the show have actually shown footage from the "missing" two first episodes, so they apparently exist somewhere.

Still, though, good stuff overall. The classic MMPR theme is used throughout, which is really cool. The "goofy" humor of the villains from the early PR seasons is back, and it actually works pretty well. There's potential for some "dramatic" stuff in there too. (or as dramatic as Power Rangers can ever get) Acting was crap, even by PR standards, but that's not bothering me as much as it probably should.

Also, this may have the best editing of any PR series to date. In the past, the break between Japanese and American footage was extremely obvious. The characters would suddenly switch locations, or the video quality would shift slightly. Here, though, I'd never have known the difference if I hadn't already seen Shinkenger. It looks like they actually went to the exact same locations and filmed the same scenes exactly the same way. It's really cool.

• 1 month later...

Well so far I have been enjoying the new series it definitely brings back the awesome music and great action of the original. I'm watching the new episode and I was so surprised to see Tiger Zord, I mean it has been revamped, but its the White Tiger Zord, its a great surprise, although, it does beg the question of how it could be around since the Power Coins were destroyed. I also do enjoy seeing Bulk, but I feel they are using him wrong, I mean, he's the comic relief, but before he interacted with the Rangers themselves, in this series, they never really cross paths, even when the Rangers are right there they just run off, I feel like Bulk is there just for us fans, which is ok, but give him something to do with the Rangers

I'm watching the new episode and I was so surprised to see Tiger Zord, I mean it has been revamped, but its the White Tiger Zord, its a great surprise, although, it does beg the question of how it could be around since the Power Coins were destroyed.

It's actually not the same zord. They mention that this one served an older Red Samurai ranger but fell through a rift ages ago.

Super Sentai reuses a lot of visual ideas from past seasons; they probably just thought that the "Won Tiger" from Dairanger (what we know as the White Tigerzord from MMPR season 2) was a cool design that they wanted to bring back.