SuaveStar

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 6/11/2018 at 11:09 AM, Dread said:

So...Archer Vice is happening. Not sure how to feel about it.

So...I finished season 4 and I have to say they really salvaged the Archer Vice thing. Not sure what led to the divergence, but it was handled pretty well overall. In particular, the last three episodes of the season are some of the best of the series thus far. It makes up for a pretty lacklustre beginning. Though, I REALLY dig Outlaw Country Cherlyne.

Black Lightning has been great.  It's on Netflix.

I especially love...

Spoiler

the emergence of Anissa Pierce as Thunder. This demonstrates just how much the comics division at DC does not get it. Legacy characters - the children of superheroes - make a richer universe. 

For some reason I stopped watching any show over the back half of their respective seasons.  Time to catch up.

iZombie has went downhill so fast this past season.  Not that it was on that high of a hill to begin with. 

Riverdale has this thing.  It isn't good.  All the characters are not good people (save maybe one).  They can't stop with the murder-killin'.  Yet, I enjoy it?  Maybe?  Why?

Blindspot is a show that no one watches.  It had an interesting enough mystery for the first season and second season to finish it off.  This third season hasn't been the greatest, but still had moments.  Then the season finale had to go all 'last 3 episodes of Chuck' and I say fuck that. 

For me, the main reason I have stuck with Riverdale is that most of the actors never sleep walk through any of what they're given to work with. There are tons of shows that are badly written and the actors can't be bothered to care. Riverdale is often ridiculous but that fact that all the actors keep on selling it keeps me interested. So, even though we had Teenage Mafia Archie, the many personalities of Cheryl Blossom, Gang Leader Jughead, and any number of other insane, almost lazily written plot threads, the fact that the actors embrace the show's refuge in audacity makes me just as excited about it as they are.

Plus, as a musical theater buff, the fact that they did an episode revolving around freaking Carrie The Musical just totally jazzed me up.

I’m not stupid. Like, I know it’s a soap opera. But the sheer commitment from the cast keeps me going. 

I know the pitch was Twin Peaks meets Archie. That’s a lie. It’s much more “Passions in the 50’s with the Occasional Comic reference.” But it weirdly works for me. 

And I’m gonna hold out for a while, because Werewolf Jughead is inevitable. 

Continuing my finishing of seasons lands on Ash vs. the Evil Dead.  Wasn't really feeling this season.  Still love the cast, but the story no so much. But it definitely picked up on the back half.  It ramped up to a satisfying (and large) enough conclusion to the season, and as it turns out, the series and probably the character. Even the coda worked for me.

• 2 weeks later...

Mainlined the first season of Spartacus over the weekend based on the recommendation of four different people from two independent sources, those being Dave & Lizbeth on The Happy Place and Peter & Harry on Questions We Don't Have Answers. Overall, a very pleasant surprise. Thanks everybody!

It starts very much as Spartacus done in the style of The 300 but quickly establishes its own voice and takes a hard emotional turn mid-season.

I can't stress enough that it's gory -- often to a fault -- but the characterization, story, and performances are more than good enough to make up for the occasional cartoonishness of it.

If I were rate this TABHAL style, I'd say John Hannah's the MVP, though major props to Lucy Lawless and Peter Mensah as well. It also has a large number of people that were eventually cast in DC adaptations, including one Deathstroke (Arrow), one al Ghal (Nyssa, also from Arrow), and two Captain Boomerangs (Arrow and Suicide Squad).

Also, listen to the aforementioned podcasts.

Watched the 2nd season of Timeless over the past week.  Something occurred to me about halfway in.  Time travel fiction has an inherent shelf life for me.  The longer the story goes, the less logical it becomes and I get less interested.  That said, I still enjoyed the season and hope they do get that proposed post-cancellation movie to resolve the series. 

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, Cloak & Dagger.  I plowed thru this over the weekend.  So many thoughts about specific things so spoiler tags for that.  General idea: Took way too long to get where they got.  Season 2 should be better. 

Spoiler

First thing first: It took way too long for the leads to get together on the same page.  The entire show is them in entirely different plots.  Then the season finale happens and suddenly it is all "I'll die for you.  You complete me.  Lets be BFFs."  It just felt entirely unearned.  And speaking of unearned.  Everything to do with the detective was unearned.  It felt like 2-3 episodes worth of just her were missing.  It was a rather disjointed introduction, then a relationship with Ty was forged entirely off screen.

And then the rather big thing with the detective was the fridging of her boyfriend.  Don't get me wrong, he was clearly dead from the start.  Not for a second did I doubt that.  (I did think he was going to be corrupt and then get shot, so 50/50).  But sticking him in the fridge was done for exactly one reason.  I swear I had some sort of brilliant point to make here, but I got up to reset my router and I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.  But it was brilliant.

And playing Come Sail Away over the top of the big 'exciting' season climax was a genuine laugh out loud moment.  Soo very bad.

I've been working through Voltron: Legendary Defender and, having finished Season 2, I am loving this. I mean, it's not perfect but it's still fun. The showrunners worked on Avatar and Legend of Korra as well as the animation studio having done Korra. It really shows and that just adds to the charm.

• 2 months later...

Wanted something stupid, short and a maybe bit nostalgic to put on my phone, specifically so I had something to kill 45 minutes every Tuesday at work.  I chose Cleopatra 2525.  And it is wonderfully cheesy.  Three attractive women shooting lasers at robots while doing flips and shit.  I get why 15 year old me love it.  I get why 33 year old me loves it.

I always loved how absurd the premise was: An exotic dancer goes in for a breast job, complications happen so they freeze her until she gets woken up by the human resistance in the future. Absolutely crazy and awesome. Plus, it was arguably Gina Torres's breakout role.

That said, I was always a bigger fan of Jack of All Trades, the show it aired next to. Bruce Campbell in post-revolutionary war spy antics.

• 2 months later...