What are you watching and enjoying?

SuaveStar

Actually watched things this past month besides wrestling.  Go me.

The Gifted (Season 2) - I thought this was a 12 episode season, so I watched the first 12 and then found out their were 4 more.  I was into the first 12, not so much the back 4.  The break in momentum might be why.  Or it could be the constant 'getting heat' to use a wrestling phrase.  At least it ended in a more of less satisfying way because it doesn't look like a season 3 is in the cards.

Titans (Season 1) - Objectively I dislike this show.  I don't like all the murder-killin'.  I don't think all that much actually happens over the 10 episodes.  And it really felt like 'Backdoor Pilot: The Series' half the time.  Yet every new episode, I found myself constantly thinking "hey, they worked out things and this is about to turn a corner".   But it never did.  Probably give season 2 a chance to see if things change or not.

Cobra Kai (Season 1) - Now that was good.  I like that everyone is a bit of a jerk, but at the same time not.  Felt real.  Would have been easy to go back to black/white, but they went with a nice grey. 

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Took the weekend to run thru season 2 of Cloak and Dagger.  Overall a better season than the first.  A lot of the series takes place in a 'psychic realm' so to speak.  About halfway thru I had a thought of "this is getting like Legion, but good".  Meaning while Legion became an exercise in pretentious 'look at how smart and weird we are', I always knew and understand what was going on, even in fantasy land.

Also, I think it is in the 7th episode, the Streets of Rage fight made the show.

Spoiler

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Catching up on things:

Legion (Season 3) - I think I liked it better than season 2.  Not that this season was any less pretentious and up its own ass.  Because it certainly was.  I just took like 3 months to watch 8 episodes.  At least I got an ending.  A totally unsatisfying and cop-out ending, but an ending.

Runaways (Season 3) - I don't know exactly when they knew this would be the last season.  Because the idea to abruptly end the 2+ season story to go all magic heavy seems like an odd choice.  At least I got an ending.  A mostly satisfying ending too.

Titans (Season 2) - This was way better than the first.  Still not the greatest, but an improvement.  Nice to see an older Bruce Wayne.  And Deathstoke was pretty good too.

Since the New Year, I've started the anime Psycho Pass, and have killed seasons one and two. It's an engaging show that's pretty bingeable and sucks you right in, but it's also a thoroughly transparent anime in how it's constructed. I do enjoy it, but the sum of its parts leave me wishing it was better than it is. Still, I've the movie and season three to check out as well.

Last week I watched the first season of "You", based on the novel by Caroline Kepnes. This was also a highly bingeable show, with only ten eps. I really dug it, but the ending kind of chafed me. Not that I disagreed with how things ended up, but the delivery was anti-climactic and not nearly as definitive as the book it's based on. That makes me more hesitant to start season 2, as it felt like the show did a bait-and-switch in how they were presenting their lead character. It's tough to talk about without spoilers, but I really did get hooked on the show all the way through up to the end.

On 8/8/2019 at 4:44 PM, You Know Who said:

Anyone who hasn’t needs to see both series of Derry Girls RIGHT NOW. That said, you may subtitles for the Northern Irish accents and you should know that craic (pronounced “crack”) means fun time with friends.

When I lived in Glasgow, I was in a group project with a girl from Belfast. She walked up to me and asked me (in her very fast cadence) "what's craic?" and I honestly thought she was trying to sell me crack.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Finished the first season of BoJack Horseman. That's a damn fine season. It goes some places even even live-action shows wouldn't touch. Yeah, the creators take great advantage of the cartoon format and utilize many of the cliches that are inherent to it, but the care in which the characters are handled is some of the best writing I've seen in ages.

• 2 weeks later...

Star Trek TNG: Finished season 1 with my friends. It felt like a sitcom in space at first, which I found highly entertaining but the lack of urgency started to get to me as the season went on. Each episode definitely has something charming about it, but the first season is pretty weak. A couple episodes into season 2, and the improvement is apparent, but not yet the sea change I've been hoping for.

Star Trek TOS: About 8 episodes in, and it feels a bit more solid as a viewing experience, though I wonder if that's giving it a pass for being much older. It reminds me of the Twilight Zone that I've seen, down to having an episode by Richard Matheson. I don't think they quite knew how to make the most of the 45 minute runtime, but the character moments are pretty great.

If I recall, "Q Who" (season two, episode 16) is where TNG begins to find its feet, but it takes until the third season for it to become the show everyone loves. Even then it still takes a few episodes into the season to get there. "The Survivors" is pure Twilight Zone Trek, then there's a peppering of awesome episodes throughout: "Booby Trap," "The Enemy," "The Defector," "Yesterday's Enterprise," "The Offspring," "Sins of the Father," "Captain's Holiday," "The Most Toys," and especially "The Best of Both Worlds, part one."

I find myself very amused at how many disclaimers TNG needs, if you're not already invested. I don't think I would've tried this show out in general if it wasn't for one of my best friends sending me extremely hilarious, surprisingly horny, out of context scenes.

The cast is definitely what carries the show at its lowest. Spiner does some pretty exceptional stuff, even if the rules of Data seem to vacillate every other episode.

7 minutes ago, Davedevil said:

I find myself very amused at how many disclaimers TNG needs, if you're not already invested.

That's a great way to put it. If you're already fond of Star Trek, it's somewhat easy to overlook the meh-ness of the first two seasons and the downright slog that is season seven, because the good stuff is so damn good. But in the end, when people fondly remember TNG, they're really looking at maybe two seasons and a smattering of episodes.

While TNG is my go-to Trek show if I'm in the mood for any random episode, Deep Space Nine is where it's at in terms of consistent quality, character arcs, universe-building, and truly exploring what the Federation means to its citizens, outsiders living within the Federation, citizens who want out of the Federation, and other empires trying to rip it down. If you've never watched DS9, give it a try.

Just finished Pennyworth.  The acting is well done, but the writing is rather unfocused.  Started as a political/spy show, then suddenly went off on a supernatural tangent before suddenly shifting back to political intrigue.  Plus, I think 3-4 of the side plots were just time filler, which it being only ten episodes seems odd.  Which led to me not feeling like I got a proper climax.  Like, they knew then ending point, but wasted too much time, so the last episode was a blur to get to that point.  It was renewed for a second season (who knows anymore), so I'm onboard if it happens.

I killed all of Beastars in a marathon session last night. The animation, particularly the frame rate, takes some slight getting used to, but by episode three you're not even thinking about it. The themes of the story is in point, and goes into some truly provocative places concerning the social fabric of a world occupied by anthropomorphic animals divvied by by carnivores and herbivores. Very creative series.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2020 at 1:59 PM, The Master said:

He's literally a gem.

Ha! He's got a podcast too. Literally! with Rob Lowe.

Stacy and I are just past halfway through season one of Lucifer. Definitely fallout from episode 666. Really enjoying it. It's sexy and fun and really indicative of the urban fantasy I like to write (minus the grisly nihilism).  

Watched Nancy Drew.  I figured it would much the same as Riverdale.  Kinda is, maybe leaning into the spooky more.  It tries to be horror at times, but their version of trying is jump scares.  It got old.  Slightly hurt by the shutdown (cut from 22 to 18), but with I'm sure was a bit of extra editing, the finale works as a decent enough cliffhanger.  I will say, for a show bases on a character who solves mysteries, the two main mysteries of the seasons had really weak reveals.

And now I await the Encyclopedia Brown series. He will be in a fight against an alien invasion with the help of his single parent (played by someone from Melrose Place this time (and maybe a single mom this time, to shake things up)).

• 2 weeks later...

In my seemingly never ending attempt to get rid of this huge stack of VHS cassettes, I watched a World's Greatest Magic special from 96ish (based on the commercials).  I love magic.  I really do.  But I have no idea how or why, if these were the specials I watched.  So many lame stage acts and so, so, so many mullets.

At least I have Penn & Teller's Fool Us these days.  Better quality all around.